Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Like Tree11Likes

Sky Fibre installation questions

This is a discussion on Sky Fibre installation questions within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Having finally convinced my wife that FTTC would be awesome, we're now looking at getting it installed soon... subject to ...

Tezcatlipoca is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Cambridge (EACAM)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Sky Fibre installation questions

Having finally convinced my wife that FTTC would be awesome, we're now looking at getting it installed soon... subject to landlady / letting agency approval (the master socket is in a stupid location and would either need a Data Extension Kit to be run or an extension socket to be turned into a master).

As I understand it, the Data Extension Kit is an extension from the master socket to the modem, and *not* an extension from the modem to the router? So we could have the extension run from the master in the hallway all the way to the point in the lounge where we want the modem?

Will the installer/engineer drill through walls or door frames if necessary?

Will they run the cable tidily and tack it down etc.?

Is there much downtime between switching from Sky ADSL to Sky Fibre?

2. Advertisement
      speedyrite is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: MYHGT
      Broadband ISP: NOW Broadband
      Router: NOW TV Hub Two
      Sky TV: NOW TV
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: Sky Fibre installation questions

Yes the data extension kit is from the master socket to the modem.

I had my modem installed in a room off the hallway with a data extension kit running back to the master socket in the hallway.
      This was for two reasons:
      1. The master socket is in a corner of the hallway with no convenient power socket.
      2. The computer and router has always been in the room off the hallway (lots of power sockets too) and I wanted the modem with all the other kit.

The data extension kit cable was neatly run and tacked (actually he used a sort of staple gun that fires U shaped tacks) around the top of the skirting board.

I don't know whether or not they will drill through walls or door frames if necessary (I suspect not). In my case, all the prep for the route of the data extension cable was already done - because it was the same route taken by the cable connecting the old ADSL modem/router to the master socket, a legacy of my ADSL self-install from years ago!

Downtime was about 45 minutes in total. Probably would have been quicker, but he was happy to chat (about fibre, installations, tech etc) and have a cup of tea while he did the work, so I probably slowed him down a bit whilst gently quizzing him to try and enhance my understanding of all things FTTC...
      ++ speedyrite ... powered by NOW Broadband from June 2018 ++
      (previously powered by Sky Broadband from July 2007)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to speedyrite For This Useful Post:

Tezcatlipoca (18-01-13)

Thanks

Cheers

Of course, this may all be moot... Still waiting on the agency to get back to us regarding permission... I hate renting.

andrewjr is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: NDSIT
      Broadband ISP: NOWTV Super Fibre
      Router: Ubiquiti Unifi
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

what are you waiting for the agency to confirm? permission to change the faceplate?
      AirPort Extreme + Sky Fibre Guide | Mac OSX Automator for xDSL stats for HG612 & Vigor 130

Hauwei Cab > VMG1312-B10A > RT-86U Merlin | 58301/12298

Thanks

Nope, don't need permission for something as trivial as that.

But, as mentioned in the OP, the master is in a stupid location. The only way we could have FTTC would be if a data extension kit was installed or one of the extension sockets was converted to a master. Running a data extension would require drilling a hole through the doorway to the lounge, while changing a socket into a new master would involved more than just swapping a faceplate over.

andrewjr is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: NDSIT
      Broadband ISP: NOWTV Super Fibre
      Router: Ubiquiti Unifi
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tezcatlipoca View Post
      Nope, don't need permission for something as trivial as that.

But, as mentioned in the OP, the master is in a stupid location. The only way we could have FTTC would be if a data extension kit was installed or one of the extension sockets was converted to a master. Running a data extension would require drilling a hole through the doorway to the lounge, while changing a socket into a new master would involved more than just swapping a faceplate over.
      oh, apologies, should of read your original post more clearly
      AirPort Extreme + Sky Fibre Guide | Mac OSX Automator for xDSL stats for HG612 & Vigor 130

Hauwei Cab > VMG1312-B10A > RT-86U Merlin | 58301/12298

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

In case you have an issue with getting a power supply to the Master Socket, and you are technically minded, apparently the BTO Modem supports Power Over Ethernet (POE). If you can't get the Ok to run the data extension kit, but can managed to get the BTO Modem mounted on the wall (definitely safer this way), then you could run a suitable Ethernet cable with a POE set up as well.

After all, the Ethernet cable is what links between the BTO Modem and the Sky Router and can be considerably longer than an ADSL lead.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

dragon2611 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: AAISP + Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: N/A
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      In case you have an issue with getting a power supply to the Master Socket, and you are technically minded, apparently the BTO Modem supports Power Over Ethernet (POE). If you can't get the Ok to run the data extension kit, but can managed to get the BTO Modem mounted on the wall (definitely safer this way), then you could run a suitable Ethernet cable with a POE set up as well.

After all, the Ethernet cable is what links between the BTO Modem and the Sky Router and can be considerably longer than an ADSL lead.

It doesn't support POE as far as I know, But the voltage/current is low enough it should be safe to use Passive Poe via an injector/splitter.

Depends on the length of the cable run though..

I think these are the ones I use with my Huawei LinITX.com - Passive PoE Injector/Splitter Set probably cheaper on Ebay.etc but I was ordering other stuff at the time and LinITX have always given me brilliant service. I tend to frequent their IRC channel and they usually respond pretty quickly during the day to any questions you ask them :-)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to dragon2611 For This Useful Post:

Scubbie (19-01-13)

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Thank you for that dragon2611. POE and Passive POE are relatively new to me, hence my mistake.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

dragon2611 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: AAISP + Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: N/A
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      Thank you for that dragon2611. POE and Passive POE are relatively new to me, hence my mistake.
      The Difference is mainly that Passive POE is always on and 802.3af/at POE relies on PD detection before turning on POE and always runs at 48v

One has to be careful with passive POE as if you connect something to the wrong port you could end up shoving whatever voltage it is (It can easily be 24v or 48v) up the ethernet port of something that wasn't expecting it, is a good way to fry network cards if you're not careful.

Some devices, Particularly Ubiquiti Radios and Mikrotik Radios/routers tend to use/support Passive POE as it's cheaper to manufacturer than proper 802.3af/at standards based POE.

Personally I'd prefer the standards based stuff, wish more kit would support it.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast