Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Like Tree11Likes

Sky Fibre installation questions

This is a discussion on Sky Fibre installation questions within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by Scubbie Perhaps it would help if you could describe how things are wired up at the moment? ...

Tezcatlipoca is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Cambridge (EACAM)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Sky Fibre installation questions

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      Perhaps it would help if you could describe how things are wired up at the moment?

If the wiring is correctly set up the main telephone cable would come in from outside to the Master Socket and the extensions would then feed off from there. I am aware that some properties have a different arrangement.

As for the ADSLNation faceplate, I'm not I have one of these:

Attachment 4222
      As you can see, the extension wiring can be hard wired to the blue IDC connectors (2 & 5 for filtered, A & B for unfiltered). 3 & 4 can also be used as per the full BT wiring specification.

When wired up correctly the plain NTE5 faceplate would look like this, with the extensions hard wired:

Attachment 4223

The VDSL faceplate literally fits between the two parts shown in the above picture.
      The master feeds some wall-mounted extension sockets via internal wiring. The extension sockets are not connected to filtered terminals at the faceplate but are instead filtered themselves via built-in filters (as in the link I gave).

So, at the moment there is only one instance of filtering: inside the extension sockets.

Switching to Fibre means having a VDSL faceplate, which would have the extension socket wiring connected to the faceplate's filtered terminals. This would mean the extension sockets would be filtered already at the master end of the wiring. So, my question was whether I would need to swap the sockets back over to normal sockets because there would already be filtering taking place at the master end of the wiring, or whether it would be OK to leave them in place even though it would mean that the phone and Sky box would be "double-filtered" due to there being filtering taking place at both the master end of the wiring and the extension socket end of the wiring.

Quote Originally Posted by seawright View Post
      Two filters in series will increase the insertion loss but unless you are a long way from the exchange, which I doubt otherwise ADSL would not have been available to you, the increased attenuation should have minimal effect on telephone calls. Whether it would effect call backs from your Sky box I don't know. Ideally you should change the faceplates for normal extension sockets (without filters) but if what you have works once fibre is fitted and is more cosmetically acceptable than the original sockets I don't see a problem. Either way it will not have any effect on your fibre broadband.
      Thanks - That answers my question

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts
      No problem. I wasn't familiar with those sockets.

Sent from my Galaxy SII using Forum Runner

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

dragon2611 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: AAISP + Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: N/A
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      Maybe in the future. Currently I don't need this, it was more of an experiment. Also the price of a 1Gbit managed switch is quite high compared to an unmanaged 1Gbit switch.
      Try The Mikrotik 260GS

I've used a 250GS and it was OK other than it didn't support dual mode ports, although they tell me the 260GS does.

Thanks

Well, the landline officially switched from BT to Sky yesterday, so I've now re-ordered the Sky Fibre Got to wait until the 22nd of April though

Thanks

Not long to go in real terms. Many were complaining of a 2 month wait last October/November. Still it is also sooner than a friend I know who ordered Sky Talk & broadband last month. Where she moved to has not got a land-line at all. It is due to be installed at the end of the month.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

Thanks

Well, the installation is on Monday

I hope all goes well, and I really hope a proper Openreach engineer turns up instead of a contractor...

I set up the Sky Hub earlier this week, using my current Sky BB connection, so it will be ready for the Fibre installation.

Oh, and you were right, Scubbie - I received a *second* Sky Hub because of the screw-up with the order!
      Scubbie likes this.

craglyboy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Thanks

Ahh

Wish I had seen this thread before I made mine, you seem to be in a similar position as me, what option are you actually goin for are you just hoping for a helpful engineer like me haha

Thanks

I'm going to be asking for a Data Extension Kit, with the cabling run from the hallway to the lounge with a bit of drilling.

It's the only viable option, really. Having the Sky Hub and modem both in the hallway is not doable, and I very much doubt that the internal extension wiring is good enough for the lounge extension socket to be turned into a new master.

I'll ask if he can wallmount the modem in the hallway and actually extend the connection from that to the Sky Hub in the lounge. But, if he's unwilling to do that, I'll go for having the Sky Hub *and* the modem in the lounge and have the extension used for the master>modem instead (which is the normal thing).

Thanks

I think this and the other thread I've just commented on demonstrate some of the various different difficulties that the BTO Engineers need to address when installing FTTC.

Looking at these examples, and many others, I am dreading the proposed self-install option that BTO are offering. If is bad enough with ADSL2+ on old extension leads.

http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/gener...tc-2013-a.html

Thanks

Had my Sky Fibre installed this morning by an extremely friendly and helpful Openreach engineer called Robyn

She sorted out the Data Extension, and made sure that everything was up and running before she left.

jayhab and Scubbie like this.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast