Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Like Tree11Likes

Sky Fibre installation questions

This is a discussion on Sky Fibre installation questions within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; If I understand correctly, your current set up is double filtering everything already. If your extensions are wired to pins ...

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Re: Sky Fibre installation questions

If I understand correctly, your current set up is double filtering everything already.

If your extensions are wired to pins 2 & 5 on the back of the ADSLNation faceplate, then they are filtered. Adding the filters in the extension sockets has reportedly been needed with some Sky STBs, so if there has been an issue, I would leave them there.

As for what will happen, yes the ADSLNation socket should be removed. The new VDSL faceplate fits between the Test Socket and original plain NTE5 faceplate. Your extensions should be wired to this once more.

Alternatively you could fit a standard BT telephone plug on the end:

Then they would simply plug into a splitter which in turn is plugged into the plain faceplate.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

2. Advertisement
      Tezcatlipoca is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Cambridge (EACAM)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks

Sorry, maybe I needed to be clearer

I understand that the current NTE5 master socket faceplate will be replaced with a new VDSL faceplate.

The current extension sockets are not connected to filtered extension terminals on the master socket faceplate. The only filtering that takes place is at the extension sockets, which have a filter built-in (I basically fitted them to make it more tidy by removing the dangly filters) [these are what I have: http://www.adslnation.com/products/xtf.php].

So, with a new VDSL faceplate fitted and with the extensions wired to the filtered terminals on that, the two extension sockets in the lounge would become "double-filtered" unless I swap them out for the original extension sockets. Does that matter for the phone and Sky box?

Thanks

Perhaps it would help if you could describe how things are wired up at the moment?

If the wiring is correctly set up the main telephone cable would come in from outside to the Master Socket and the extensions would then feed off from there. I am aware that some properties have a different arrangement.

As for the ADSLNation faceplate, I'm not I have one of these:

Sky Fibre installation questions-adslv1-faceplate.jpg
      As you can see, the extension wiring can be hard wired to the blue IDC connectors (2 & 5 for filtered, A & B for unfiltered). 3 & 4 can also be used as per the full BT wiring specification.

When wired up correctly the plain NTE5 faceplate would look like this, with the extensions hard wired:

Sky Fibre installation questions-faceplate-extension-wiring.jpg

The VDSL faceplate literally fits between the two parts shown in the above picture.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Two filters in series will increase the insertion loss but unless you are a long way from the exchange, which I doubt otherwise ADSL would not have been available to you, the increased attenuation should have minimal effect on telephone calls. Whether it would effect call backs from your Sky box I don't know. Ideally you should change the faceplates for normal extension sockets (without filters) but if what you have works once fibre is fitted and is more cosmetically acceptable than the original sockets I don't see a problem. Either way it will not have any effect on your fibre broadband.
      Tezcatlipoca likes this.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to seawright For This Useful Post:

Tezcatlipoca (01-04-13)

dragon2611 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: AAISP + Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Sky TV: N/A
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      Also, as another member has confirmed, don't plug the BTO Modem into a switch, with the Sky Hub plugged into that. It doesn't work, although I just may play about with this idea at a later date by plugging two of the Hub's Ethernet ports into a switch.

Hmm that would be an interesting one to test, Remember not to have the DHCP client enabled on any Device also plugged into the switch

It certainly worked on the Sagem 2504n as that was the way I originally used to capture the DHCP exchange between the sky network and the router

I used a D-link DES 1100-16 with The Sagem, the OR modem and a Laptop running Wireshark connected.

The switch was then configured for Port mirroring so the laptop got a copy of any traffic to/from the Sagem (In order for Wireshark to be able to see it)

Thanks

I only have simple network switches, not managed switches. One is located next to where I will position the BTO Modem. I have enough spare ports on that one to connect the Sky Hub (x2) and the BTO Modem to try it out.

As for alternative DHCP servers, I keep that side of my LAN simplified and just have the one.

I shall probably take a look at this next weekend if I remember too.

Exchange:
      Thanks

I only have simple network switches, not managed switches. One is located next to where I will position the BTO Modem. I have enough spare ports on that one to connect the Sky Hub (x2) and the BTO Modem to try it out.

As for alternative DHCP servers, I keep that side of my LAN simplified and just have the one.

I shall probably take a look at this next weekend if I remember too.
      If you plug 2 ports of the Sky Router to a Switch it's highly likely all you will achieve is a switching loop which will decimate your network performance.

It wouldn't surprise me if seeing a DHCP request on the interface is enough to stop the SKY modem from trying.

I don't see anything wrong per say with putting a switch in the middle if you want your router over 100M from the OR modem but the switch is unmanaged NOTHING else should be connected.

If it's managed you might be able to get away with putting the Sky Router's WAN side and the OR modem on it's own untagged VLAN to keep it segregated from the other ports.

Thanks

Ok. That's a shame if it won't work then.

My current arrangement is fine. It was more of an experimental idea which I was considering.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Ok. That's a shame if it won't work then.

My current arrangement is fine. It was more of an experimental idea which I was considering.
      Use a managed switch that can segregate the WAN traffic from the LAN traffic ;-)

Thanks

Maybe in the future. Currently I don't need this, it was more of an experiment. Also the price of a 1Gbit managed switch is quite high compared to an unmanaged 1Gbit switch.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast