Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Like Tree2Likes

Sky fibre disconnects every hour

This is a discussion on Sky fibre disconnects every hour within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Not sure if anyone else has seen this issue?... My fibre disconnects and reconnects exactly every hour. If I look ...

edwinderry is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Heath Hayes
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Sky fibre disconnects every hour

Not sure if anyone else has seen this issue?...
      My fibre disconnects and reconnects exactly every hour. If I look at the connection status on my sagem router the connection time never goes above 60 minutes. I can watch the connection status as it constantly refreshes in my browser and see it disconnect at 60 minutes and then automatically reconnect. I get the same IP address once reconnected, which is strange because if I manually disconnect and reconnect I get a new IP.
      I have watched the LEDs when the disconnect happens and the @ LED on the router goes amber, but there is no change on the Openreach modem where the ADSL LED stays on.
      I have only recently discovered this after 9 months although I now suspect it has always happened, because we have always had problems with Apple TV in the middle of movies. We are seeing it more than ever now with Xbox360 losing connection to Xbox live every hour.
      Any ideas?

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Re: Sky fibre disconnects every hour

Could you post a copy of your router's log on the forum please?

If you could use the 'PHP Code' button found in the 'Go Advanced' link below, this would help keep things tidier to read.

Thank you.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

vandal is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Thanks

WOW!

I've got another thread mentioning (what I thought) were random dropouts. However when I read this post I checked the 'up time' on my modem and it was 55 mins so out of interest I sat and watched it for the next 5 minutes. Come the hour BAM! it disconnected like it does, then reconnects within 20 or so seconds! What the hell is going on!?

Here's my modem log (I cleared it earlier so there's not much to it but it has the logs from before and after the hour).

PHP Code:
      Jan 15 02:06:38 (nonesyslog.emerg syslogd startedBusyBox v1.00 (2012.04.27-07:12+0000)
      Jan 15 02:16:38 (noneuser.alert kernelIntrusion -> IN=eth0 OUTMAC=4c:17:eb:52:9b:24:06:00:00:00:00:00:08:00 SRC=173.220.25.170 DST=94.12.31.59 LEN=48 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=114 ID=57028 PROTO=TCP SPT=50787 DPT=443 WINDOW=65535 RES=0x00 SYN URGP=0 MARK=0x8000000 
      Jan 15 02
      :17:59 (noneuser.alert kernelIntrusion -> IN=eth0 OUTMAC=4c:17:eb:52:9b:24:06:00:00:00:00:00:08:00 SRC=113.140.94.246 DST=94.12.31.59 LEN=48 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=109 ID=28298 DF PROTO=TCP SPT=4804 DPT=445 WINDOW=65535 RES=0x00 SYN URGP=0 MARK=0x8000000 
      Jan 15 02
      :19:03 (nonedaemon.crit udhcpcDHCP lease expiredConnection DOWN.
      Jan 15 02:19:34 (nonedaemon.crit udhcpcReceived valid DHCP lease of 94.12.31.59 from serverlease time 3600 Connection UP
      Notice is says "lease time 3600" that's one hour in seconds. That'll explain why it's dropping out but why would I only get a one hour "lease"?

Charlie1973 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Fibre
      Thanks

My log is the same, my fiber as been off all night..... Came on this morning, be interesting to see if I now get every hour disconnected ? If I do I won't be happy.... Funny thing is when I rang sky last night they said my router was dead and have arrange a replacement lol....maybe it is ? Does anyone know how to change the lease time ?

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

I think that you have both hit the nail on the head. The issues appears to be related to the 'Lease Time'.

Essentially Sky's Fibre uses MER and also requires that the lease is renewed at least once every hour. Normally it is renewed automatically after around 30 mins.

I was going to ask you to both post up which firmware versions you have installed on the router. However after a short look at the Sky forums, this appears to be a known issue:

Sky Help Forum - new install losing connection every hour - Help & Support from the Official Sky Forum

However after reading through the thread, it looks like it could well be a firmware issue and no one has checked this out yet. So could I ask you to let us know which firmware you have on your routers please? Perhaps some other members can let us know if they too are getting this problem or not, and if they have the same or different firmware.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks for helping. My firmware is -

Firmware Version 6.14.1a4N_UNI

I don't know if there's a later one, I've had this one for ages and had no issues.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Mine is the same 6.14.1a4N_UNI......I will add tho i havent been getting drops every hour like vandal..Mine appears to be fine now.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Did you do anything to fix it?

Exchange:
      Thanks

Hi, no i didn't, apparently its normal for the router to get a new lease every hour, what isnt are the drop outs. My service just started back up this morning, i walked over to the router noticed it was still amber, then as i went to press reset on the back it went green...

Spooky or what lol... But at the moment its all good, saying that there were 2 BT guys at my Green box this morning doin something so maybe they fixed the issue ?

Exchange:
      Thanks

OK thanks. I'll give it a little longer then maybe phone Sky. Seems a few are having the issue over on the Sky forums and they're saying it IS with a firmware update at the box performed by BT and not an issue with our router. I can see the green box from my window so I'll keep an eye out for engineers there and grab them if I spot on.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast