Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Homeplug & Sky Hub

This is a discussion on Homeplug & Sky Hub within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi, So im new to the whole homeplug concept. I will hopefully soon be able to get Sky fiber-optic broadband ...

Ianh2010 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Springburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Homeplug & Sky Hub

Hi, So im new to the whole homeplug concept. I will hopefully soon be able to get Sky fiber-optic broadband with an estimated speed of 38.8Mbps down and 6.1Mbps up.

I have spent a fair bit of time comparing the specifications of two models the TP-Link TL-PA411KIT / TL-PA511KIT online and the only difference I see is the interface speed being 10/100Mbps / Gigabit Ethernet Port respectively.

Now I understand that the 500Mbps is the theoretical speed and the real life speed will be very different.

As the sky hub does not have gigabyte ports would the the TL-PA411KIT be the better choice? I know it only links at 10/100Mbps how will this reflect on my actual possible speed? Ie how close will I get to the 38.8Mbps down and 6.1Mbps up? I understand things like the wiring, other appliances etc in my house will have a bearing.

I will not be using them to transfer data between devices, they will be purely used for accessing the internet for browsing, file downloads etc.

Thanks

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Re: Homeplug & Sky Hub

There are some technical issues with some HomePlugs which can affect the actual performance. Simple things such as the quality of your wiring, existence of surge protection and even trip switches in the fuse box can affect the speed. Also some HomePlugs encrypt/decrypt the data faster than others.

It is also possible in some places that a neighbour's HomePlugs can interfere with your own HomePlugs.

This is perhaps why some HomePlugs will work happily on an FTTC connection, whilst others reduce the speed a little.

Personally I would opt for the 500mbps HomePlugs, if I had the choice. However no one can guarantee what the performance will be like in your property.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Thanks

Thanks for the reply. Yes I understand the all the varients that can affect them.

Both models are classed as "500mbps"

What I am really wondering if its worth paying the extra money for the TL-PA511KIT with the gigabyte ports when the sky hub only has 100mbps ports? Surely I would not see the benefit?

Thanks

It depends on your internal network and what you use it for I guess.

I have several network devices which have 1Gbit LAN ports and 1Gbit Network switches to link them together.

When I transfer large files between them, I do not have to wait a very long time.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

Thanks

Thats true, I will be using them for web browsing, downloads etc not for transfering files between two devices, so I guess based on the fact the sky hub does not have gigabyte ports the TL-PA411KIT will do for my needs.

There is about 25 difference between the two models and about 12 difference for each additional homeplug.

speedyrite is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: MYHGT
      Broadband ISP: NOW Broadband
      Router: NOW TV Hub Two
      Sky TV: NOW TV
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Agreed, but my "thinking ahead for future-proofing" head tells me to be tempted by the gigabit version (albeit more expensive)! Mainly because in a couple(?) of years time we may have faster FTTC (up to 100Mbps on vDSL2), perhaps more TV delivered over the interweb and hopefully either a Sky router with gigabit ports or freedom to use own router with gigabit ports. I'm using Devolo dLAN 200 AV units that are a few years old now. They work well on my 40/10 fibre, but not sure how good they will be on a faster connection. If I was buying again today, I'd buy the highest performance that I could afford. Just my 2p worth
      ++ speedyrite ... powered by NOW Broadband from June 2018 ++
      (previously powered by Sky Broadband from July 2007)

Thanks

I appreciate your reply.

That is a good point. I am not in a rush to buy as I dont have fiber optic yet. I guess I will keep an eye on the prices.

But as it stands today the TL-PA411KIT should fit my needs?

speedyrite is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: MYHGT
      Broadband ISP: NOW Broadband
      Router: NOW TV Hub Two
      Sky TV: NOW TV
      Thanks
      Blog Entries
      I would say so for 40/10 FTTC. I recently bought a pair (can't remember which model) for a relative who has got ADSL broadband (about 14mbps down) and they're perfectly fine.
      ++ speedyrite ... powered by NOW Broadband from June 2018 ++
      (previously powered by Sky Broadband from July 2007)

seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

The models may be classed as 500Mb/S but with only two of them the maximum transfer rate would not be able to exceed the speed of a single ip/op port, 100Mb/s per direction in the case of 10/100 Mb/p. As for future proofing, without a crystal ball, who knows what interface may be used in the future, firewire, fibre optic, spread spectrum radio or even a system that has yet to be developed. The extra cost may just be insurance that you neither want or need and at the end of the day may not even pay out. It's not that many years ago that 10base2 was cutting edge network technology.
      Last edited by seawright; 12-01-13 at 01:57 PM. Reason: Extra information

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by seawright View Post
      ...As for future proofing, without a crystal ball, who knows what interface may be used in the future, firewire, fibre optic, spread spectrum radio or even a system that has yet to be developed. The extra cost may just be insurance that you neither want or need and at the end of the day may not even pay out. It's not that many years ago that 10base2 was cutting edge network technology.
      It is never easy to guess where the development of computers will go. However it is safe to say that based upon what has happened, the current LAN ports are likely to stay for a long time due to cost. Backward compatibility would also be called for too.

Personally I did use a pair of PowerLine adaptors. I've replaced that with an Ethernet network. I gave the adaptors to a friend and after a few years they have apparently died now.

A 1Gbit LAN is more than adequate for most requirements at home at present. A 100mb LAN will work quite happily for a larger number of people for the present time.

The main pressures for networking currently come from streaming high def video content. UHDTVs are very expensive at the present time, but I am sure that their prices will drop once someone start broadcasting 4K and then later 8K video.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast