Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Like Tree1Likes

"Self-install" FTTC trial in Q1 2013

This is a discussion on "Self-install" FTTC trial in Q1 2013 within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Openreach to pilot "self-install" for FTTC . Engineer goes to cabinet only. I guess this could eventually reduce the installation ...

speedyrite is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: MYHGT
      Broadband ISP: NOW Broadband
      Router: NOW TV Hub Two
      Sky TV: NOW TV
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Openreach to pilot "self-install" for FTTC. Engineer goes to cabinet only. I guess this could eventually reduce the installation lead time and the number of engineer no-shows.

ISP provides VDSL modem to customer (looks like this could be ISPs chosen kit instead of the current OR modem).

Customer connects it all up without engineer visit (presumably some sort of VDSL micro-filters will be required instead of the filtered faceplate that is currently fitted).

NGA PCP Only Pilot Phase announced
      ++ speedyrite ... powered by NOW Broadband from June 2018 ++
      (previously powered by Sky Broadband from July 2007)

2. Advertisement
      dragon2611 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: AAISP + Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: N/A
      Thanks

Re: "Self-install" FTTC trial in Q1 2013

Great so now we can have all these substandard DSL installations and also BT and the ISP can play Ping-pong even more so when deciding whos fault it is when it's not working.

VDSL is far more sensitive to noise.etc than ADSL so crappy internal wiring will make a more significant difference. Also having an Openreach managed modem at the Master socket means that anything on the VDSL side of things is BT's problem and we don't have these arguments regarding if it's the modem or the internal wiring.etc

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Got to agree, I can see nothing but trouble with this. As things stand you are guaranteed there will be no interference from internal wiring. What happens if you do not have an NTE5 linebox, which makes fitting a VDSL faceplate easy? If you have an old type master socket its back to plug in dongles which do not prevent internal wiring interfering?

The one good thing is it may allow Sky to develop their own all in one device, just as some use now with Infinity. This would no doubt lead to users eventually being able to use their own kit.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

I believe infinity still uses the Openreach modem?

Sent from my Phone using Tapatalk

Thanks

They do, but it is possible to use a all in one device, some do, have a look here -
      Alternative VDSL Modem/Router for Infinity - BTCare Community Forums

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

The same could be said for sky if you know the vlan and can manipulate the dhcp client you can probably do it.

Can't see anything official about a one box solution on that thread

I suspect replacing the Openreach modem is a violation of t&cs but its likely to be as well enforced as sky's t&cs regarding their router...

Just don't expect any support if you've done it until you put the supplied kit back on

Sent from my Phone using Tapatalk

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Come on, how daft are BTO?

There are far too many people plugging their ADSL2+ routers in to their telephone extensions and wondering why their connection speed are awful. I would hate to think what it will be like with FTTC. IMHO this is cost cutting at the expense of the service to customers and is irresponsible.

The result will be that suppliers such as Run-it-Direct will make a lot of money from selling the VDSL faceplates and many cancellations from those who don't know what to do and expect others to fix it for them.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      Come on, how daft are BTO?

There are far too many people plugging their ADSL2+ routers in to their telephone extensions and wondering why their connection speed are awful. I would hate to think what it will be like with FTTC. IMHO this is cost cutting at the expense of the service to customers and is irresponsible.

The result will be that suppliers such as Run-it-Direct will make a lot of money from selling the VDSL faceplates and many cancellations from those who don't know what to do and expect others to fix it for them.
      Oh they're not Daft, they'll make end user wiring the users responsibility then they'll offer a product that gets an engineer to come around and fix it for you. For a fee of course.

chrcol is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Leics Central
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: 8800nl(bridge) + pfSense 2.4 N3150 unit + asus ac68 as WAP
      Sky TV: FreeSAT
      Thanks

that product already exists

SFI engineer comes out, fixes home wiring, fee sent to CP (aka sky) and then fee passed on to end user.

This thread has made me laugh tho as you guys seem to think the average house has a messy wiring setup with extension sockets and so on.

Of all the people I know personally not a single one has more than one BT socket in their house, they all only have the master socket and nothing else, so no ring wires etc. However a few do put in their routers at the end of long phone extensions.

ON the subject of noise affecting vdsl more than adsl I sort of disagree.

I put it this way.

Pretend you have a room full of people talking to each other, that talking is the dsl signal. On a shorter line they talk louder, on a longer line they whisper. Then someone shouts at you from across the room, that someone is external noise. So in the room where they talk louder, the person shouting at you is less audible and drowned out by the other people (dsl signal).

The way I see it is this.

First of all if there is noise ingress on the e-side, it will be gone on vdsl2, because the e-side gets filtered at the cabinet. That is the case for me, my adsl service I had before had serious major issues with noise. Now my vdsl2 service doesnt even have variance on the snrm at night, its solid 24/7. Which leads me to my next point.

Noise ingress on the d-side such as radio signals will always be the same strength as they were before (unless the source changed) yet fttc reduces loop length, which decreases attenuation which boosts dsl signal strength which in turn makes the dsl signal more powerful vs external noise. So now eg. the radio interference I got at night on adsl is not visible on my vdsl. Because my vdsl has attenuation of 10db vs 50db I had on adsl.

I do accept with the wider frequency range there is more chances of noise ingress but that noise ingress will be weaker unless its a long fttc line from the cabinet. But on average a typical fttc line is 1/4 the length of a typical exchange line.

The reason this wires only is coming is obvious.

BT have a severe shortage of engineers and are resorting to using kellys etc. for FTTC installs, they were probably faced with 2 solutions. Either hire much more staff (costs money) or reduce install overheads (wires only) which also will make consumers happy as they no longer need to sit in waiting for engineers to show up. I agree there is downsides eg. no line checks and proper faceplates. But the upside will be no waiting for 2 months for an install date and then having the engineer not show up.

Thanks

This thread has made me laugh tho as you guys seem to think the average house has a messy wiring setup with extension sockets and so on.

Of all the people I know personally not a single one has more than one BT socket in their house, they all only have the master socket and nothing else, so no ring wires etc. However a few do put in their routers at the end of long phone extensions.
      That may be true of your limited circle of friends but that is not the experience on this forum. There are many users who have more than one phone socket and it is the reason so many users have problems with their connection. You do not have to believe this and you can scoff all you want, but it is true.
      gymno likes this.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast