Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
    Like Tree5Likes

Sky or BT?

This is a discussion on Sky or BT? within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I am currently with Sky paying 7.50 a month for unlimited ADSL and on the whole I'd say it's been ...

Flashman is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: St Austell
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagemcom 2504N
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Sky or BT?

I am currently with Sky paying 7.50 a month for unlimited ADSL and on the whole I'd say it's been brilliantly reliable for the last year or so that I've used it.

A couple months ago though a problem emerged where the dynamically generated IP number assigned to the router was already listed as a spammer's IP and since then I've had problems with others not receiving my emails as well as logging in at certain places because of this problem. No matter how many times I switch off the router to generate a new IP number it always comes back as being listed for spamming when I check online and I'm fed up with this. Sky technical customer support have been useless.

Today that magic day arrived when I discovered I am able to get fibre broadband access and I find myself in a situation where I had bad experiences in the past with BT and clear existing problems with Sky that they have no hurry to fix or even address, so I'm really wondering if anybody could advise on what to do in a case like this if you want fibre? On paper BT looks like a better deal but I'm not too enthusiastic about either option right now.

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Re: Sky or BT?

What are you using to check? Many checkers will blacklist you if you are using a dynamic address. My IP for instance is blacklisted by SpamhausZEN, I think they put all dynamic addresses on the list whether they are spammers or not. It is difficult to see what Sky, or any other ISP using dynamic addresses, can do about it.
      http://mxtoolbox.com/blacklists.aspx

Who you go with for fibre is really up to you. Plusnet have also entered the fray offering unlimited downloads and a better looking deal than BT.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

If I check at http://www.blacklistalert.org I find my IP is blacklisted in half a dozen places. Worse still though on a bit of deeper digging I found it had actually been blacklisted by Sky themselves...

The first time I became aware of this was when I tried logging into a VPS server I run and promptly found myself locked outside, then after many hours of trying to identify the problem it turned out that the server firewall was blocking me because my IP was blacklisted for spamming. Since then I've had several cases where my emails are just not arriving or being flagged as suspicious and this was never a problem in the past.

I don't think we are automatically blacklisted for using a dynamic IP but because the ISPs release IP numbers that have been previously blacklisted. Sky have totally failed to give me any kind of justifiable explanation for this.

WheelNutWalter is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LCHEY
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Thanks

Unless you are running a mail server at home (if you aren't sure, then you aren't), then this blacklist has nothing to do with why people aren't receiving your email.

If you are using an online email service (e.g. gmail, yahoo, etc) or using your ISPs email service, then the email appears to come from your providers IP address, not that of your home connection.

As IsItme has stated, most email blacklists include pretty much all home broadband users, as they shouldn't (in normal circumstances) be sending out email without going via a providers email service.

Thanks

Worse still though on a bit of deeper digging I found it had actually been blacklisted by Sky themselves...
      This is even stranger. Sky's policy is to suspend the account of anyone found to be spamming or sending out malicious content. This has happened before to users whose PC has been compromised by malware. When this happens the user is advised to have their machine formatted and reinstalled before the suspension is lifted. I think as you have not been suspended, your problem lies elsewhere.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

One Sky technical support member did once let slip that they'd had a problem since the end of October when it appears that a pool of blacklisted IP numbers were somehow thrown in with the good ones. They were supposed to be looking into it all and I had numerous promises that somebody higher up would contact me but this has been going on for the best part of two months now with no real help and a lot of lost time on my part.

Thanks

I think it is very unlikely you would draw a blacklisted IP every time yours changed. You have managed to get a change of IP? If not, switch your router off overnight, that will almost certainly give you a change.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Thanks

I've changed the IP many times over the last couple of months by switching off the box for a while. Generally speaking an hour is enough to generate a new IP number but the result is always the same, so while the IP number may physically change, whichever one I receive is always blacklisted in a number of different places. That's why this has become so frustrating.

Thanks

whichever one I receive is always blacklisted in a number of different places. That's why this has become so frustrating.
      As I said, dynamic addresses will always be blacklisted by some checkers. Unless you are running a mail server, it should not matter. Maybe you should run a couple of good malware checkers like Malwarebytes Anti-Malware - CNET Download.com and SuperAntiSpyware Free Edition - CNET Download.com that may be your problem.

TomD

Useful Utilites

timc is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Hadleigh, Essex
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity
      Router: Billion 7800N
      Thanks

With BT Infinity 2 (unlimited) you can get (potentially) faster speeds and you can get a free YouView box & 12months TV Essentials free for 26 pm. Take BT for 18months & then switch to Plusnet for 20pm. That's what I'm planning to do.

Also do it through Quidco & you can get 40 back.

BT run the profiling for whoever's fibre product you have so not any difference there.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast