Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast
    Like Tree5Likes

Sky or BT?

This is a discussion on Sky or BT? within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I presume you mean Sky don't allow you to host a mailserver on your connection rather than Sky do not ...

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Re: Sky or BT?

I presume you mean Sky don't allow you to host a mailserver on your connection rather than Sky do not allow you to use 3rd party mailservers to send mail.
      Exactly, I got a bit wordtied.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

2. Advertisement
      dragon2611 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: AAISP + Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: N/A
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Exactly, I got a bit wordtied.
      Was going to say I wouldn't be happy if they were causing mails not to be delivered just because I was using my own mailserver (Hosted elsewhere)

Flashman is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: St Austell
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagemcom 2504N
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Having just looked at the firewall log for my websites I would just urge all of you to use really random, unique and complex passwords for all your online accounts and email. I use 1Password to make all of this much simpler but there are other alternatives and I'd hate to see anybody suffering because one of their online accounts was hacked. Always make sure you have enabled the firewall on your router and computer as well.

seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Flashman View Post
      The result is similar but for whatever reason it has been causing me various problems for the last couple of months.
      I know that for whatever reason some Sky customer's have had problems sending mail and consequently have been using unofficial mail server addresses. Just wondered if this applies to you or are you using "smtp.tools.sky.com" as your server for outgoing mail.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by seawright View Post
      I know that for whatever reason some Sky customer's have had problems sending mail and consequently have been using unofficial mail server addresses. Just wondered if this applies to you or are you using "smtp.tools.sky.com" as your server for outgoing mail.
      Sky told me about this and I suggested those users might be having problems precisely because the IP numbers were blacklisted, so mail servers were flagging the messages as likely spam. I never use the Sky smtp server or email address because I always avoid email addresses tied to an ISP. For the most part I use an email address for a personal domain hosted on a web server and sometimes use a Gmail address. I've been sending and receiving emails for almost 15 years through a number of ISPs both in the UK and abroad without ever encountering problems like this before.

iBhoot is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stratford
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Asus RT-N66U DD-WRT/Merlin (waiting delivery)
      Thanks

My thoughts. I have both Sky Fiber Pro and BT Infinity 2 installed at my house. Simple points below:
      Sky:
      1. Truly no traffic management of any kind
      2. Excellent service so far. No downtime I have experienced
      3. Speed been consistent and not dropped
      4. Works with Asus RT-N66U - very happy bunny
      5. Ping is usually 14ms on average
      BT:
      1. Slow speeds to 20Mbps down during the day
      2. Evening up to 36Mbps+ (should be getting closer to 55+ minimum)
      3. Not happy with the link speed on wired link
      4. Ping is fast (5ms pretty much all the time)
      5. Works with Asus RT-N66U no problems
      6. Takes ages to get to customer support - same of Sky actually

If I could only choose one then it would be Sky without a doubt. BT if I need a 2nd Fiber link.

coipu is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Lede on ECI Modem/pfSense
      Sky TV: Cord Cut
      Thanks

Well Sky gave me a line rental reduction when I upgraded, waived my 50 connection fee, I had to drop the subscription HD channels but I'm now paying 1 less a month than when I was on ADSL, I can't remember off hand the exact figure but something like 49. I didn't see any other provider getting close to that.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iBhoot View Post
      My thoughts. I have both Sky Fiber Pro and BT Infinity 2 installed at my house. Simple points below:
      Sky:
      1. Truly no traffic management of any kind
      2. Excellent service so far. No downtime I have experienced
      3. Speed been consistent and not dropped
      4. Works with Asus RT-N66U - very happy bunny
      5. Ping is usually 14ms on average
      BT:
      1. Slow speeds to 20Mbps down during the day
      2. Evening up to 36Mbps+ (should be getting closer to 55+ minimum)
      3. Not happy with the link speed on wired link
      4. Ping is fast (5ms pretty much all the time)
      5. Works with Asus RT-N66U no problems
      6. Takes ages to get to customer support - same of Sky actually

If I could only choose one then it would be Sky without a doubt. BT if I need a 2nd Fiber link.
      In theory they should both be using the same cabinet and offer identical performance for the most part. Are they both using the same Asus router or is there something else that could be affecting this?

Last night I managed to contact somebody on the BT forums who is in my town and he said he had experienced maximum potential speeds both upstream and downstream without a moment of downtime or fluctuation during the last year before he recently moved house. One of the reasons I was so enthusiastic about the prospect of FTTP as originally promised is that it should in theory remove many of these inconsistencies.

dragon2611 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: AAISP + Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Sky TV: N/A
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Flashman View Post
      In theory they should both be using the same cabinet and offer identical performance for the most part. Are they both using the same Asus router or is there something else that could be affecting this?

Last night I managed to contact somebody on the BT forums who is in my town and he said he had experienced maximum potential speeds both upstream and downstream without a moment of downtime or fluctuation during the last year before he recently moved house. One of the reasons I was so enthusiastic about the prospect of FTTP as originally promised is that it should in theory remove many of these inconsistencies.
      Whilst it will be essentially the same connectivity between the FTTC cabs and the exchange regardless of who you buy your connection from it will be Different Connectivity out of the exchange.

BT will probably be using their 21CN network via one of their products like WBMC.

Sky will be using their LLU backhaul, now this may be by a virtual circuit over 21CN or it may be a dedicated physical link but either way Sky will have paid for a guaranteed X amount of bandwidth.

If there is congestion and it's NOT on the openreach side of things then it's quite possible one provider would be congested and others aren't.

Even if it was 2 Providers using BT wholesale it would then be down to the routing their traffic takes in BT's network and how big the interconnects they have into BT are... (Also how much Transit peering they have on the internet side of things, but usually the interconnects to BT are the expensive bit)

chrcol is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Leics Central
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: 8800nl(bridge) + pfSense 2.4 N3150 unit + asus ac68 as WAP
      Sky TV: FreeSAT
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bubblegun View Post
      I use BBC more than anything else. I think the BBC is extremely good value when compared with the likes of Sky. Most people would agree that the adverts on Sky ruin a lot of programmes, Mad Men is unwatchable for me since it switched. Sky doesn't need adverts really, the subscribers pay for the content the adverts just pay to line the pockets of the shareholders, but hey they are a business.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
      Would you still consider bbc good value if you didnt use it?

One reason it may be good value to you is that people like me pay for it and dont use it which brings your fee down to lower than what it otherwise would be.
      stereohaven likes this.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast