Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Like Tree5Likes

Sky or BT?

This is a discussion on Sky or BT? within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I agree there are too many adverts on Sky and that they should be greatly reduced or dropped entirely given ...

Flashman is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: St Austell
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagemcom 2504N
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Sky or BT?

I agree there are too many adverts on Sky and that they should be greatly reduced or dropped entirely given the cost of subscription. This is why invariably prefer to record something and watch it later so I can fast forward through the adverts.

My beef with the BBC license is that regardless of whether you watch the BBC or not you have to pay for their service by law simply because you have a TV. That's like saying you have to pay money to Ford, even if you drive a Toyota or face criminal prosecution... The BBC are also notoriously heavy handed in the way they enforce payment.

The BBC makes it remarkably difficult for commercial TV and radio in this country, especially on a regional level because they have to compete against a vast organisation with huge resources and legal protections that doesn't even need to produce content people like, while having guaranteed income.

2. Advertisement
      deadman1984 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Ponteland Newcastle Upon Tyne
      Broadband ISP: John Lewis broadband
      Router: Nighthawk r7000
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD + multi
      Thanks

me personnally would stick with sky i was with bt in the past biggest mistake ever. though i dont like skys terms on the router but i am sure one day i will risk breaking that terms lol.

Paul2003 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Leamington Spa
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Fibre
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks

Sky or BT?

My sons been with BT Infinity a couple of months now and it's a nightmare!!! Constantly packing up and the call centre is a nightmare and no use at all as they can hardly speak clear English,biggest mistake he made getting Infinity

Sent from my iPhone 4

Thanks

Without a doubt BT are pretty useless most of the time when there is a problem, though I once got them to perform miracles and work through the night to install a phone line at a new build property by contacting the right person near the top of the tree. The manager of the local exchange even brought me a bottle of wine

Actually this raises an interesting point when you have a 12 or 18 month contract and there are constant problems surely there must come a point when the provider is in breach of contract for failing to provide an acceptable service. I know the telecom companies can be pretty thick skinned but there are still laws about "fit for purpose" and "acceptable quality" etc. I felt Sky were failing this test when I was constantly supplied with IP numbers that were already associated with spammers and it still hasn't been resolved after more than 2 months.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Speaking personally, I have worked in multi-cultural environments. I have also worked abroad where being English was a handicap.

I know and appreciate the difference between speaking English words and understanding their meaning and context. It is this last part where the call centres in India struggle so much. They fail to understand the context that we use our words and do not appreciate the various consumer laws and protections which we have. They also do not have a proper understanding of specific aspects of our Data Protection laws.

As far as I am concerned they will do exactly what they are asked to do and in the manner which they have been told to do it. Unfortunately they also get a lot of stick from the British public for a large number of reasons.

However if they are, for example, told that the grass in Cornwall was blue, then it doesn't matter what someone in Cornwall tells them, they will tell the customer that it is blue.

I try to be nice and calm when on the telephone to people in call centres. I also keep my language in check. However when I have had people blatantly insult me on the phone, hang-up, refuse to pass me to a supervisor or manager and to completely ignore written correspondence and claim to be unable to read a specific legal request, I am sorry to say that I have no respect for BT PLC and can only conclude that BT will continue to loose customers for this reason.

If things go well and work smoothly, then there should be no reason to call them. However when you do, the problem needs to be simple to resolve, otherwise you are in trouble.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Flashman View Post
      ...I felt Sky were failing this test when I was constantly supplied with IP numbers that were already associated with spammers and it still hasn't been resolved after more than 2 months.
      I don't believe that you ever actually answered this properly.

If you are running your own Mail Server at home, then this is against Sky's T&Cs. They are a major source of Spam and personally I think it is right to block them.

There are plenty of places which can for the right money host your Mail Server, but the majority of 'Domestic' customers do not ever need this kind of service. Sky is a product for the domestic market.

I appreciate that for some users, there is a blur between their requirements and those of a business, but Sky's broadband is specifically marketed at the domestic market, never for businesses. If you are running a business from home, then give serious consideration towards a broadband product for that market. They are more expensive, but they have service level guarantees and compensation systems in place should their service fall below par.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

Thanks

No I'm not running my own mail server at home. Sky regularly supplies my router with IP numbers that are associated with spammers and this has created all sorts of hassles for me such as having Google ask me to verify I'm a human and not a spammer when running searches. To me this is unacceptable, whether business or personal.

I've also had problems logging into my own web host server because the firewall recognised the IP number as a spammer. I've actually been forced to use a proxy IP number to log in at times.

Thanks

No problem.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Sky regularly supplies my router with IP numbers that are associated with spammers
      It is strange that you appear to be the only one suffering from this. It is hard to believe that you are continually supplied with spammer addresses when no one else on this forum has reported this*. I am pretty sure there is an underlying cause which is not necessarily connected with Sky. Let's hope you don't find you are supplied with spammer addresses with your new ISP.

* There is actually one case reported but this was because the user was using a private mail server to send mail using a Sky address, which Sky quite rightly ban. The explanation is given here -
      The Spamhaus Project - PBL

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

I don't even use the Sky email address. One technical support member once let slip that a problem had occurred around the end of October with the allocation of IP numbers and they were investigating but nobody else seems willing to confirm that and no matter how many times I've called them I just get fobbed off. This was never a problem before that either with Sky or any other ISP.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast