Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Like Tree5Likes

Sky or BT?

This is a discussion on Sky or BT? within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by timc With BT Infinity 2 (unlimited) you can get (potentially) faster speeds Vs what/who ? Having been ...

slickric21 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Eacos
      Broadband ISP: Plusnet Fibre
      Router: Netgear 3800 DD-WRT
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Sky or BT?

Quote Originally Posted by timc View Post
      With BT Infinity 2 (unlimited) you can get (potentially) faster speeds
      Vs what/who ?

Having been a BT customer in the past and a woeful experience it was, although Sky are a bit more expensive.... you do get what you pay for.

Solid 24/7 connection, no throttling, decent UK support (for Fibre that is)

2. Advertisement
      Flashman is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: St Austell
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagemcom 2504N
      Thanks

BT Infinity gets those speeds as standard. With Sky you need the Pro option I believe which costs more than BT. Also I gather that FTTP is not an option with Sky in the areas where it is enabled by BT. I'm no fan of BT and I dislike them as a company but lately Sky haven't been winning any prizes for me either.

slickric21 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Eacos
      Router: Netgear 3800 DD-WRT
      Thanks

Ah ok.

If you dont like BT why not consider Plusnet, same price as BT and now unlimited aswell.

Thanks

I have no idea what Plusnet are like for customer service but I gather they are owned by BT so it probably makes no difference. In other words fine until you get a problem then pretty abysmal.

At the moment BT have that offer on YouView that would save me quite a bit of money by stopping the subscription to Sky for TV since we aren't watching that much these days. To upgrade the broadband to fibre and stick with Sky TV would be setting me back about 85 a month and that feels like too much money at the moment.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

I have no idea what Plusnet are like for customer service but I gather they are owned by BT so it probably makes no difference. In other words fine until you get a problem then pretty abysmal.
      One of Plusnet's main selling points is that their customer support is based in Yorkshire, so you will not have to speak to someone called James in India.
      stereohaven and gymno like this.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

stereohaven is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Brookwood
      Router: Asus RT-AC56U
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD 2TB Box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Flashman View Post
      I have no idea what Plusnet are like for customer service but I gather they are owned by BT so it probably makes no difference.
      From what I hear, it's very different.

They seem to have done well again at the 2012 uSwitch Awards:

Following on from our success in 2011, yet again we've beaten tough competition to win another 4 trophies at this year's prestigious uSwitch Broadband Awards. We claimed the 'Best Customer Rated Broadband Provider', 'Best Value Home Broadband', 'Most Reliable Service' and 'Most Likely to be Recommended' categories.

Ernest Doku, from uSwitch praised Plusnet's achievements by saying:

"These awards show that in a competitive market, some providers are managing to stand out from the crowd for all the right reasons, making it a compelling reason for consumers to select the right package.

"Our awards are predominantly voted for by customers who can provide an honest and objective opinion of their providers. Overall, as consumers we should always bear in mind to do our homework to ensure that we get the right package, at the right price."

Thanks

It sounds like Plusnet offer better service than BT, which frankly wouldn't be difficult but it's not as good a deal from a financial point of view. With BT you get a 50 Sainsbury voucher, YouView and a free router, so BT are definitely competitive for fibre. I have no idea if one of my old routers work with fibre but the current Sky one is probably no good with another ISP.

seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

It sounds like Plusnet offer better service than BT, which frankly wouldn't be difficult but it's not as good a deal from a financial point of view. With BT you get a 50 Sainsbury voucher, YouView and a free router, so BT are definitely competitive for fibre. I have no idea if one of my old routers work with fibre but the current Sky one is probably no good with another ISP.
      If the intention is to connect using wi-fi it depends if your old router is 802.11n compliant. You don't want to be paying for super fast broadband only to be throttled by your own router.

timc is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Hadleigh, Essex
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity
      Router: Billion 7800N
      Thanks

That sounds like a good plan. How long ago did you put in the order for Infinity? I'm just wondering how long they would take if I ordered it tonight bearing in mind the Christmas break.
      I ordered it last weekend for installation mid Jan which isn't too bad.

Thanks

Yes my old router was 802.11n compliant. It's a Zyxel P660HN like this one shown at Amazon http://www.amazon.co.uk/Prestige-660.../dp/B001OAX9XU It's a bit geeky to set up but it worked fine in the past. The worst thing about it is that the cat kept trying to eat the antennas. The Sky router has fewer features but it has worked reliably for me and it's nicer to look at.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast