Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Like Tree5Likes

Fibred Finally .. Speedtests?

This is a discussion on Fibred Finally .. Speedtests? within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I've finally gotten around to getting fibre installed. The best engineer ever came from OR yesterday - very helpful, polite, ...

Stumpy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stainton
      Broadband ISP: Sky Ultrafast 1
      Router: Sky Hub SR203
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

Fibred Finally .. Speedtests?

I've finally gotten around to getting fibre installed. The best engineer ever came from OR yesterday - very helpful, polite, chatty. He moved my master socket from the hallway where it was not convenient (no power socket nearby) to the computer room where there are plenty of sockets.

From the off I have been getting virtually max speed on the router stats.

DownStream Connection Speed 39996
      UpStream Connection Speed 8284

However, having run speedtests on various sites over the last 24 hours, they're consistently showing a download speed of around 25-29 download speed. I'm running from a wired computer. Should I be concerned about this, or will this be down to DLM?
      Scubbie likes this.

2. Advertisement
      slickric21 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Eacos
      Broadband ISP: Plusnet Fibre
      Router: Netgear 3800 DD-WRT
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Fibred Finally .. Speedtests?

Try this Speedtest checker BT Speed Tester Lite (Beta)

Its the only one that even remotely matches the speeds I'm getting.

I know im getting the full 80/20Mb as I can download/upload from Netload at 9.6MB/s and 2.4MB/s respectively, which I believe is ~ 77Mb and 19Mb

see this thread http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/sky-b...-try-info.html
      Stumpy likes this.

speedyrite is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: MYHGT
      Broadband ISP: NOW Broadband
      Router: NOW TV Hub Two
      Sky TV: NOW TV
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

As I understand it, DLM takes 2 or 3 days to settle on your actual line speed, so try not to switch off the Openreach modem during that time unless absolutely necessary (mine's only ever been off during power cuts).

I quite like this one (requires Java plugin for browser):
      MySpeed Application Speed Test

but for more accurate results, probably best to use a multi-threaded download manager.
      ++ speedyrite ... powered by NOW Broadband from June 2018 ++
      (previously powered by Sky Broadband from July 2007)

Thanks

Thanks guys. The BT Beta speedtester came out at more what I was expecting, with a result of 37 download speed. Although it failed (twice) on the upload test - this may because it's beta, or I have something blocking it. The speed tester that speedyrite suggested came back at a fairly average speed compared to all the other speedtest sites (including Skyusers), at 25 download. It did state my "consistency of service" was only 57% which doesnt sound very good - but that could be due to DLM I guess.

I don't intend switching either the BT modem or the Sky Hub off at all - my old router stayed switched on 24/7 and I don't see any reason to change this. With the obvious exceptions of power failures, etc.

*edit - just tried the BT one again and this time it completed successfully, showing an upload of 6.5 and ping of 25.

speedyrite is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: MYHGT
      Broadband ISP: NOW Broadband
      Router: NOW TV Hub Two
      Sky TV: NOW TV
      Thanks
      Blog Entries
      I like that one because of the level of detail it provides, but generally I find them all a bit variable in terms of results (probably because the whole speed testing thing is all a bit imprecise anyway due to the nature of it all!) so I tend to use one particular one.
      Stumpy likes this.
      ++ speedyrite ... powered by NOW Broadband from June 2018 ++
      (previously powered by Sky Broadband from July 2007)

cybermods is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: EAKLN
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: pfSense
      Sky TV: Sky+ box
      Thanks

Stumpy likes this.

Thanks

Okay, I've tried various speed tests at various points during the day and night. I haven't gone completely analytical about it, because I understand that DLM runs for 14 days on new fibre connections and there is not much point in worrying about it too much until that is complete.

However ... I've not disconnected the router/modem at all since day one, and it doesn't appear to have rebooted either. It has consistently shown a synch speed of that mentioned above. But speedtests to external websites are very hit and miss .. generally giving me around 22-28 download and varying wildly between 2-8 upload.

I have also been running JD's autospeedtester, albeit only during the day .. closer to the end of DLM I may be tempted to leave it on overnight to see if it makes a difference. On average (taking out those nice little spikes when we're downloading something!), it is reporting 25 download and 3 upload, with a ping between 30 and 40.

Now Sky's site estimated, prior to me getting fibre installed, that my maximum download would be 30.9. However, because the router/hub seems to have been quite happy sitting at pretty close to 40, I was assuming I'd actually be able to get fairly close to that in real use.

Should I be expecting around 35-40 download, or should I be assuming that the Sky site was correct, and I should be happy with 25-30ish?

coipu is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Lede on ECI Modem/pfSense
      Sky TV: Cord Cut
      Thanks

My speedtest results always seem to be sync speed minus around 2Mbps which I'm guessing are overheads
      Well I don't know if you are using homeplugs and consider them wired or not, but that was the weak link in my chain. Even the 500Mbps I went and spent a fortune on didnt let me get a speedtest above 25-29Mbps, My house has crap wiring I suppose. I stuck ethernet cable in and then I got my 38Mbps, although it is slowly dropping now due to maybe DLM I guess.

simon194 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: NDHAS
      Router: Sky Q Hub with Billion 8800NL in bridge mode
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Stumpy View Post
      Okay, I've tried various speed tests at various points during the day and night. I haven't gone completely analytical about it, because I understand that DLM runs for 14 days on new fibre connections and there is not much point in worrying about it too much until that is complete.
      DLM runs continuously on a fibre connection as per page 13 of SIN498, all this business of 10-14 days is just a hangover from ADSL. It usually starts the day after the line has been active unless there is obvious instability and has normally got the connection stable after 2-3 days.
      Stumpy likes this.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by coipu View Post
      My speedtest results always seem to be sync speed minus around 2Mbps which I'm guessing are overheads
      Well I don't know if you are using homeplugs and consider them wired or not, but that was the weak link in my chain. Even the 500Mbps I went and spent a fortune on didnt let me get a speedtest above 25-29Mbps, My house has crap wiring I suppose. I stuck ethernet cable in and then I got my 38Mbps, although it is slowly dropping now due to maybe DLM I guess.
      Yeah I use homeplugs .. but the computer I'm running the tests from is directly connected to the router via ethernet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast