Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Like Tree5Likes

Fibred Finally .. Speedtests?

This is a discussion on Fibred Finally .. Speedtests? within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by simon194 DLM runs continuously on a fibre connection as per page 13 of SIN498 , all this ...

Spitfire is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Fibred Finally .. Speedtests?

Quote Originally Posted by simon194 View Post
      DLM runs continuously on a fibre connection as per page 13 of SIN498, all this business of 10-14 days is just a hangover from ADSL. It usually starts the day after the line has been active unless there is obvious instability and has normally got the connection stable after 2-3 days.
      this is Correct.

DLM only runs untp the BT Open Reach Modem , restarting the Sky Modem won't have an affect on the DLM - try rebooting it and see what the sync speed is ?

2. Advertisement
      Stumpy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stainton
      Broadband ISP: Sky Ultrafast 1
      Router: Sky Hub SR203
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

Ah .. well that would explain it then ...

The Hub is now showing:

DownStream Connection Speed 26268
      UpStream Connection Speed 9348

Spitfire is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

IF you started off at full sync and it has decreased to the above - it would appear DLM has lowered your line to maintain stability , due to a possible issue,

Do you have any issues with your line? Noise etc when on the phone?

Stumpy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stainton
      Broadband ISP: Sky Ultrafast 1
      Router: Sky Hub SR203
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

Nope, not had any problems whatsoever. That I've noticed :P

I am a little concerned that it could be due to the way the engineer put the socket in ... our master socket was right next to the front door, with no power nearby, in a very small hallway. I asked if it could be moved and he was very happy to do so.

But what I was expecting him to do was take the cable on the outside a metre or so further on, and drill through the wall to place a new master socket in the room with the computers. What he actually did was simply change the faceplate of the telephone extension we had already in that room, to one that had two sections and the "test socket" bit - basically it looks just like the master socket. But using our extension wiring.

Now, previously, we had no problem with the extension - indeed it was tested by several BT engineers a couple of years back when we were having problems with our (normal) internet connection, and they all stated that there was no loss in signal from the master to the extension socket. And the engineer who fitted this new faceplate stated the cabling the builders had used to create the extension was CAT-5 so it was perfect for it. But I am a little dubious.

I'm also mindful of the fact that, when we had problems a couple of years ago, where our then stable internet connection of around 4.5 Mb went belly-up and refused to connect at anything higher than 2, we had a dozen different engineers out, including a Sky engineer, and had various Important People from both Sky and BT involved, they decided in the end that there was nothing they could do with the line as the copper bundle to the street was "deteriorating" and BT refused to replace it.

However, approximately 2 weeks after they all gave up fiddling with it, it suddenly bounced back up to 4.5-5Mb and never moved again.

In short (hahaha), I'm also concerned that perhaps there is something wrong with the line, and it happens to be the bit between the cabinet and our house.

coipu is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Lede on ECI Modem/pfSense
      Sky TV: Cord Cut
      Thanks

I thought I was going to be laughing because my cabinet was 15m away from my front door, however engineer told me I'm incorrectly connected to one 1500m away at entrance to my estate. So ironically my line is still way more copper than fibre. Will there be DLM regardless of provider then?

speedyrite is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: MYHGT
      Broadband ISP: NOW Broadband
      Router: NOW TV Hub Two
      Sky TV: NOW TV
      Thanks
      Blog Entries
      Yes DLM runs continuously at the street cabinet and is part of the Openreach infrastructure so it's working away regardless of the FTTC provider.

DLM takes 2 or 3 days to settle on your actual line speed, so try not to switch off the Openreach modem during that time unless absolutely necessary (mine's only ever been off during power cuts).

After that it may kick in at any time if it determines that it's needed.
      ++ speedyrite ... powered by NOW Broadband from June 2018 ++
      (previously powered by Sky Broadband from July 2007)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12