Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Unable to stream YouTube videos on Wii via Sky Fibre Pro

This is a discussion on Unable to stream YouTube videos on Wii via Sky Fibre Pro within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Can anyone suggest a sensible remedy? Or at least confirm the issue I am experiencing? I have the ST2504n router ...

alano999 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01373
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Unable to stream YouTube videos on Wii via Sky Fibre Pro

Can anyone suggest a sensible remedy? Or at least confirm the issue I am experiencing?

I have the ST2504n router (firmware 5.27.1a4N) on Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro service, enjoying 69mbps down and 19mbps up. On my Wii (the model before the Wii U), when using the new YouTube "channel" (app), videos will not play. A simple message appears saying "This video is not available". Approx one time in hundred a video will play, but this is just so rare. It is not related to any particular type, format, encoding, age, size, geographical location of the video files.

I think it is either a NAT or UPnP issue in the Sky modem.

Here is the results of my diagnostics so far...

If I use my Samsung smartphone as a WiFi hotspot and connect the Wii to that instead of my Sky router, the videos all play perfectly in Wii's YouTube app (albeit with some buffering issues due to slow speed of my 3G connection). This implicates Sky or their modem as being the culprit.

On the other hand, when I connect my Android tablet, Android smartphone, or Windows Vista laptop via WiFi to the Sky router, they all play all YouTube videos perfectly - at least partly implicating the Wii's firmware or YouTube's Wii app.

I believe there are probably two issues...

(1) YouTube's app or Wii's internet comms firmware are probably poorly written such that unusually tolerant NAT or UPnP implementations are required inside the modem in order to make video streaming work. For what it's worth, the YouTube (Google) team say the problem is with the Sky service. And;

(2) Sky's router firmware is not fully/properly implementing NAT/UPnP. Other modems work PERFECTLY, why should the lovely Sky router fail?

Can anyone suggest a sensible remedy? For example, has Sky got updated firmware or an alternative modem model that would fix this issue?

I really do not wish to have to use my smartphone as my primary internet connection. I may as well cancel my Sky fibre subscription if that was to be the case.

I hope someone has a workable solution, or can at least confirm that this Sky modem is the cause of the problem (has anyone with this modem got a Wii - does it play YouTube videos via its app or not?).

Kind regards,
      Alan

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Re: Unable to stream YouTube videos on Wii via Sky Fibre Pro

You could try changing the DNS servers in the Wii to OpenDNS ones or Google.
      208.67.222.222 & 208.67.220.220
      or
      8.8.8.8 & 8.8.4.4.

It may make a difference.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Isitme For This Useful Post:

alano999 (21-12-12)

Thanks

Hi TomD.

Thank you EVER SO much for responding with a suggestion.

Sadly, neither the OpenDNS nor the Google DNS servers helped. Thinking about it, it would have been a surprise if it did make a difference - because the videos do, on the very rarest of occasions, play - indicating that the issue is something that is marginal - like a NAT/UPnP packet routing issue or NAT translation timing issue.

Thank you again for taking the time to suggest something, though. Hopefully another idea will come along soon.

I would be equally interested to hear from anyone who has the same Sky kit and who has a Wii they can try this out on. I need to know whether this is an isolated incident with my particular kit, or whether everyone with this router suffers the same issue.

Kindest regards,
      Alan

dragon2611 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: AAISP + Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: N/A
      Thanks

Doubt it's a Upnp/Nat issue as the Wii really shouldn't need to open any inbound ports to play a video from youtube.

If it does that's a terrible design, although if you wish you can DMZ the wii temporarily to see if ti makes a difference (this will open the firewall fully and forward any unsolicited incoming traffic to the wii).

It's not something daft like the Wii App requires the videos in a certain format but they haven't all been transcoded youtubes end yet (Or could be on a different server cluster that sky are having problems routing to)?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to dragon2611 For This Useful Post:

alano999 (21-12-12)

Thanks

Hi dragon2611.

I do not believe it is a video format issue. But thank you HUGELY for considering my problem.

The reason I concluded it cannot be a format issue is that, firstly, any video will eventually play if I persist and try it enough times (roughly one in hundred!) and, secondly, the YouTube team has documented their Wii app project very well - and say they started transcoding all new YouTube videos to the new format used by the app (WebM) from April 2011 in readiness for the launch of the app - so I carefully chose, as a test, some videos from 2012 only.

I thought that streaming video requires a TCP socket, thus requiring a port to be opened (NAT, configured via UPnP)? Hence my guess at it being a NAT/UPnP issue.

I had already discounted it from being a DNS or standard TCP/IP routing issue because my Android and Windows devices play the exact same videos perfectly through the same router. This indicates that the issue is almost certainly one of non-compatibility between YouTube/Wii and Sky's TCP socket routing services. I simply need to prove it - via additional Sky users suffering the same problem, or with some technical proof (e.g. if I discover it works in a DMZ).

Very perplexing.

I shall set the router into DMZ mode as you suggest, as this will fairly conclusively indicate a NAT-related problem if it magically starts working. I'll have to chose my time, as I use my broadband connection extensively. I'll post back here with my findings shortly.

Kind regards,
      Alan

dragon2611 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: AAISP + Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Sky TV: N/A
      Thanks

Shouldn't need the Port forward/NAT rules via upnp mapping as the reply should be in response to the initial outbound connection therefore connection tracking should take care of making sure the Wii gets it.

It's possible there's some bug in Connection tracking causing issues but it would probably be noticeable on more than just the Wii?

The Videos may play fine on other devices but are we sure they're coming from exactly the same place each time? Youtube is a massive site it will be spread across a large infrastructure it's possible that the android device isn't hitting the same sever as the Wii.

Annoyingly I lent my Wii to a friend as it was just sitting under my TV gathering dust so I don't have it at the moment.

Also does browsing/online gaming work ok on the Wii, wonder if it doesn't like the Wi-Fi in the sky router or something... (I'm guessing you don't have a wired connection as that requires an extra adaptor)

Thanks

I have now tried switching the Sky modem into DMZ mode, setting the Wii to a static IP address and entering that as the DMZ server. Initially I also disabled UPnP, then I tried again with it enabled. Under no circumstances can I get YouTube videos to play on their Wii app using the Sky modem as the internet connection (except on the 1 in 100 random occasion when it will make me jump by working!).

If I switch the Wii to tether to my 3G smartphone's WiFi hotspot, videos play 100% reliably.

What on earth should I do? The YouTube team say it's not their fault - because it works perfectly if I use a different modem/service provider. I haven't contacted Sky Support yet because I doubt they will have the right set of skills ready to hand - and you could also argue that because my smartphone, tablet and laptop play YouTube videos reliably through Sky, that it's not a Sky problem (they haven't yet said that though).

In my considered opinion, though, it is a Sky issue because it does work without any alterations to settings or firmware when I use a different modem/service provider. Sky is the only single point of failure.

Help!

Regards,
      Alan

seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Thanks

Is it only the Wii YouTube App causing problems or do you have any other connectivity problem with the Wii either connecting to the internet or to your local network?

12. The Following User Says Thank You to seawright For This Useful Post:

alano999 (21-12-12)

Fryingpan77 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Shipley
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Fibre
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks

After reading this thread, I've also installed the youtube app on my Wii, and no video's play also.
      My netflix and BBC iPlayer all work fine.
      I have the new Sky fibre Hub.
      It's ashame really because I enjoy the youtube apps on my phone and PS3.
      My Wii is upstairs, and would have been a nice addition to have.

Sent from my ST18i
      With sky since 1997.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Fryingpan77 For This Useful Post:

alano999 (21-12-12)

Thanks

Hi again dragon 2611. Hi seawright.

For completeness, I can confirm I am using only the Wii's standard WiFi Internet interface.

Using the Wii's built-in internet browser (Opera) I can surf to any website and it renders fast. With the single exception of YouTube's website (I cannot find any other video websites with playable videos).

I didn't mention the Wii's internet browser earlier because there is strange behaviour when surfing the YouTube website, and I believe it is unrelated to the issue I initially reported, and would have complicated matters.

The first point to note when using the built-in Opera to browse websites (other than YouTube), is that if there are any embedded videos they are all disabled and so will not play - regardless of format - not even WebM videos will play.

When I surf to YouTube's website, all hell breaks loose - but the behaviour is the same regardless of modem/service provider. The YouTube pages take an eternity to render and, in a few cases, embedded video boxes will not fully render, in other cases the browser totally hangs (software reset required). CORRECTED: videos will occasionally, but rarely, play when surfing YouTube via the Wii's built-in Opera web browser (same for all internet confections - not just Sky).

I believe this is a different issue to the one I first noted and, from what I've read, is due to bad code in the custom "applet" that automatically runs when the Wii's Opera internet browser hits the YouTube website.

So, in summary, it seems that the Wii's internet connection is generally good. When surfing to the YouTube website via the Wii's Opera browser an applet causes different problems (same for all modems and service providers). When YouTube's Wii app is used to access YouTube, it works perfectly when connected via my 3G phone's WiFi hotspot, but will not play videos when connected via my Sky Fibre broadband modem/service.

Any further suggestions?

Best regards,
      Alan
      Last edited by alano999; 21-12-12 at 06:17 PM. Reason: correction due to different behaviour experienced today.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast