Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Unable to stream YouTube videos on Wii via Sky Fibre Pro

This is a discussion on Unable to stream YouTube videos on Wii via Sky Fibre Pro within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; That's all very well and good but given the Wii doesn't support VPN's I didn't know that, in fact the ...

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Re: Unable to stream YouTube videos on Wii via Sky Fibre Pro

That's all very well and good but given the Wii doesn't support VPN's
      I didn't know that, in fact the only thing I know about the Wii is how to spell it.

I suppose it might be possible to do it using Connection sharing to a PC but it seems a lot of hassle to watch a youtube video on a Wii console.
      Agreed. It would be just as well to use the PC to connect to YouTube in the first place.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

2. Advertisement
      speedyrite is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: MYHGT
      Broadband ISP: NOW Broadband
      Router: NOW TV Hub Two
      Sky TV: NOW TV
      Thanks
      Blog Entries
      No problems watching YouTube on TV via Apple TV over Sky Fibre. I agree with whoever said earlier that the problem must be the Wii app (or maybe it's the way YouTube has prepared the video to play via Wii app) not playing nicely with the Sky network - don't know why that would be though?
      ++ speedyrite ... powered by NOW Broadband from June 2018 ++
      (previously powered by Sky Broadband from July 2007)

dragon2611 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: AAISP + Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: N/A
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by speedyrite View Post
      No problems watching YouTube on TV via Apple TV over Sky Fibre. I agree with whoever said earlier that the problem must be the Wii app (or maybe it's the way YouTube has prepared the video to play via Wii app) not playing nicely with the Sky network - don't know why that would be though?

Might not be coming from the same location...

Youtube is a large site, I'd be massively surprised if they didn't have regional clusters throughout the world, it wouldn't surprise me if the content for a specific device is only on certain nodes if either a loadbalancer or routing between Sky and one of the You tube server clusters is a bit iffy then it could theoretically cause this problem.

One could guess that browsing youtube on a Wii isn't anywhere near as popular as via a PC or iOS/Android device so it's quite feasible that the content optimized for Wii isn't as readily available on youtubes infrastructure as the content for your PC.

Of course what might yield a bigger clue is to get a packet capture of the traffic between the wii and the youtube servers. However to do this you either need to connect the Wii via the pc, get hold of a wi-fi sniffer or put a managed switch that supports port mirroring between the AP serving the Wii and the modem.

Then break out the shark (or your sniffer of choice)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to dragon2611 For This Useful Post:

speedyrite (03-01-13)

Bala is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by alano999 View Post
      Happy New Year to you all.

I wonder if any further light can be shed on this problem, now?

The problem still exists. Approximately 99% of time, videos will not play when the YouTube app on my Wii (not Wii U) is connected via a Sky internet connection.

I tried on various occasions over the Christmas period and, surprisingly, on one day (can't remember which), videos would play on approx 50% of attempts, albeit the video would invariably stop playing after a while. Most days, though, it works on roughly only 1% of attempts. My guess, therefore, is that this is a "timing" or "number of hops" related issue within Sky's central infrastructure..

Kind regards to all.
      Alan

I have the exact same problem with Wii Youtube app + Sky broadband. I get the "Video not available ... wait X seconds" message for every video that I try to play EXCEPT one time when i was able to actually play a video.

The funny thing, I have since tried to play the same video 5-6 times, and I get the "Video not available" error message. If it were a format issue, it should not even have played once. Something screwy going on ...

pockets100 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Ok, so I can now verify without shadow of a doubt that this is a problem on sky's end. here is how...

I took my wii to my parents place and tried the official youtube app on their plus net connection and it played youtube videos flawlessly.

I also have a soft modded wii which allows me to run homebrew apps on my wii. Through this I can install an app called wiimc, WiiMC (Wii Media Center) is an open source media player for the Nintendo Wii and is a port of the popular PC media player called MPlayer. Using this software you can stream directly from youtube to your wii without using the youtube official app. No videos will play. Check out the wii brew wiki for more info on wiimc.

With my wii at my parents place I also tried the soft mod method to watch youtube videos and it worked perfectly.

Now this appears to only be a recent development as I used to be able to watch youtube videos fine until about 3 months ago. Perhaps it has something to do with an update to sky or something. My ability to watch youtube on the wii stopped after a night of net downtime.

Stuart
      Last edited by pockets100; 19-02-13 at 04:55 AM. Reason: Spelling errors.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345