Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Unable to stream YouTube videos on Wii via Sky Fibre Pro

This is a discussion on Unable to stream YouTube videos on Wii via Sky Fibre Pro within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi Fryingpan77. Thank you VERY MUCH for confirming the same issue is repeatable. It seems that the Sky infrastructure is ...

alano999 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01373
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Unable to stream YouTube videos on Wii via Sky Fibre Pro

Hi Fryingpan77. Thank you VERY MUCH for confirming the same issue is repeatable. It seems that the Sky infrastructure is at fault, as you are using a different modem to me.

I wonder what the problem can be?

Do we need to get the techies at Sky to take a look at this now, or do we need further confirmation? Or would we be better to try to debug this further ourselves?

What next?

Regards,
      Alan

2. Advertisement
      Thanks

(Sorry - duplicate post - first attempt failed to appear, initially)

Hi Fryingpan77. Thank you VERY MUCH for confirming that the issue now appears to be common to the Sky infrastructure rather than my specific modem.

It's a shame, as I really like the new Wii YouTube app - it is well laid out, neat and very responsive. But not much use to Sky customers!

What do we do now? Should we report this to Sky, or try to further diagnose the problem ourselves? How?

Regards,
      Alan
      Last edited by alano999; 20-12-12 at 07:48 PM. Reason: Added note to explain that my initial submission until much later.

Fryingpan77 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Shipley
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Fibre
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks

No problems. I'm still going to have a look at all my settings, to try and eliminate as many as I can before having a word with sky.
      I'm also going to hard wire my Wii, as I have an Ethernet adapter for my Wii, and some home plugs.
      I can't see it making any difference but you never know.
      I will report back any findings I make.

Sent from my ST18i
      With sky since 1997.

Thanks

Cheers. I'll wait for you to provide an update before I contact Sky myself.

Alan

speedyrite is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: MYHGT
      Broadband ISP: NOW Broadband
      Router: NOW TV Hub Two
      Sky TV: NOW TV
      Thanks
      Blog Entries
      Just out of curiosity I also downloaded the You Tube app to the Wii. Got the same message about 2/3rds of the time but did get some videos to play successfully (just choosing at random). I would think it's the Wii app as I normally use You Tube on Apple TV without any problems at all.
      ++ speedyrite ... powered by NOW Broadband from June 2018 ++
      (previously powered by Sky Broadband from July 2007)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to speedyrite For This Useful Post:

alano999 (21-12-12)

Fryingpan77 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Shipley
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Fibre
      Thanks

Wii now connected through Ethernet and still no joy.
      Noticed some videos that didn't work, will start to work if I keep pressing play after the error message appears.
      Not sure what to do with this problem.
      I'm beginning to think it's a Wii app fault, but can't explain why it worked when using a 3G WiFi hotspot.

Sent from my ST18i
      With sky since 1997.

dragon2611 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: AAISP + Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: N/A
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Fryingpan77 View Post
      Wii now connected through Ethernet and still no joy.
      Noticed some videos that didn't work, will start to work if I keep pressing play after the error message appears.
      Not sure what to do with this problem.
      I'm beginning to think it's a Wii app fault, but can't explain why it worked when using a 3G WiFi hotspot.

Sent from my ST18i

I would say Try with a VPN but then you'd have to plug the Wii into a VPN enabled router/firewall or a pc running connection sharing to actually get it on the VPN.

Or maybe a different router (Then again you'd need one that works with sky)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to dragon2611 For This Useful Post:

Fryingpan77 (21-12-12)

Thanks

Hi dragon2611 and Fryingpan77.

Thanks for the thoughts and suggestion. What are you hoping to demonstrate by using a VPN?

I can do what you are suggesting, as I have a BT Business Broadband line at my office (same BT telephone exchange as my Sky service) which I already connect to via VPN, and I could alter the VPN settings to route internet connectivity through this and set my laptop to produce a WiFi hotspot so the Wii can run from it.

I'm not sure what this would prove though? Wouldn't it simply show whether or not videos play when connected via BT - simply another (third) internet service provider? It already works beautifully via my 3G service provider (for info, it is Hutchinson 3G "three" - their internet service is terrific... unlimited bandwidth, and HDSP peaking at around 20mbps downstream and 1mbps up).

Does anyone reading this have an ADSL Sky connection and a Wii, so we can see whether the YouTube Wii app works through that? This would help establish whether the problem is related to Sky (period) or only one particular Sky transport (i.e. fibre).

I'm coming to the conclusion, so far, with the help from everyone's feedback thus far (THANK YOU, ALL), that the YouTube Wii app perhaps uses rarer protocols/packets/routing than usual, which the Sky infrastructure (somewhere between their internet spurs and their exchange equipment) has trouble processing. It no longer seems to be a modem-specific issue.

Regards,
      Alan

audioslim is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Failsworth
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Thanks

From a quick look on the internet the Wii U doesnt support flash first off. Plus there are lots of posts about Youtube not working in a browser (is that how your accessing it), but there are workarounds.

See YouTube Videos are Not Being Called Correctly in Wii U’s Browser, Here’s a Solution | GenGAME

Does that help any?

Thanks

Hi audioslim. Thanks very much for your kind consideration regarding this matter.

No, I'm using YouTube's special app for the Wii. And my practical experimentation and technical research has already 100% eliminated the issue from being related to file format. The thing works perfectly via other internet service providers - it only doesn't work when the internet connection is provided by Sky!!!

Also to clarify... I'm using the older "original" Wii, not the new Wii U which uses completely different technology.

As your link shows, the Wii U did recently have a file-format related YouTube issue that caused a 100% failure rate. YouTube/Nintendo decided, as a policy, not to allow videos to be played via the Wii U's built-in internet browser. Incidentally, YouTube reversed their policy decision and, 2 days ago, re-enabled the ability to play videos via the Wii U's internet browser. Like I said, this is ENTIRELY unrelated to my issue - whereby videos fail randomly, approx 99% of time, for Wii owners whose internet connection is provided by Sky.

Thanks again for your thoughts. You did say that it was after a quick look - hence, sadly, it not being applicable to my case.

Kind regards,
      Alan

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast