Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Finally got F.O Pro installed!Need advice on best wireless dongle for PC.

This is a discussion on Finally got F.O Pro installed!Need advice on best wireless dongle for PC. within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I finally got my Fibre Pro installed yesterday.First on the cabinet and engineer said speeds were incredible(100+down, over 40 up, ...

Cool doug is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Finally got F.O Pro installed!Need advice on best wireless dongle for PC.

I finally got my Fibre Pro installed yesterday.First on the cabinet and engineer said speeds were incredible(100+down, over 40 up, though, obviously, I won't get those!).

However, using homeplugs for 500 mps,I can only get 38 down, 10 up.Sky I should be getting around 78/20.

I wondered if I should try a wireless dongle?

Can anyone advise please?

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,242 Times in 2,105 Posts

Re: Finally got F.O Pro installed!Need advice on best wireless dongle for PC.

The Sky Hub SR101 broadcasts at 144mbps on a single channel.

I'm not familiar with any WiFi adaptors which work at this speed so I tend to recommend one that works at up to 300mbps as a minimum. 300mbps is what you get on a paired channel.

Whether you go for a USB Dongle or an adaptor which can be installed internally is entirely your choice. Some internal WiFi cards allow you to fit alternative aerials which can be placed a little further from the card. Some USB adaptors come with things which allow you to place the dongle further from the computer. Both thee options allow you to place the aerials in a better location so that you can improve the signal quality and speed.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

Cool doug (13-12-12)

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thank you

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

I think you should look into why your Homeplugs are performing so badly. They should give you more speed than a wireless adapter. Are they both plugged straight into a power outlet? Using a trailing extension, especially one with a surge protector can effect the performance badly.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Isitme For This Useful Post:

Cool doug (13-12-12)

Exchange:
      Thanks

They're plugged straight into sockets and the wiring is only 12 years old.Hmm....

Thanks

Can you get in touch with the manufacturer? Do they have a forum, like Solwise, where you can get a lot of help.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

dragon2611 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: AAISP + Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: N/A
      Thanks

Have you checked the speeds the sr101 is reporting to make sure you've not been stuck on a 40/10 profile by mistake?

38/10 doesn't sound like the homeplugs are the limiting factor unless you've tried it directly wired to the router and got faster.

Also what was the speed you were estimated when you ordered?

Thanks

You might also want to check the router stats to see what speed it is syncing at. Wireless or Homeplugs can be used to get the stats. Click here to find out how to get your stats, How To Get Your Sky Hub SR101 Router Statistics

TomD

Useful Utilites