Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

one final question before l get activated

This is a discussion on one final question before l get activated within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Just want to make sure of something. if all goes well l should be connected to Sky Fibre some point ...

Auron is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Hereford
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

one final question before l get activated

Just want to make sure of something.

if all goes well l should be connected to Sky Fibre some point tomorrow. however l wanted to make sure that if l disconnected and or rebooted the router that it wouldnt affect the sync speed, if lm assuming correctly the router only logs onto the service rather than controls the connection so to speak.. if my assumption is correct the only thing that would affect my line training would be turning off and on the BTO modem would cause problems and the router should be fine to be disconnected and reconnected.

long story short, lve got a Cat5 extension which can be extended to where l currently have my ADSL modem/router, l originally moved it into my room due to wireless signal issues, however the difference between then and now is that they arent the draft N version so it could be different now.. however should l have wireless signal problems with the fibre router l just wanted to be sure if l move it a day or so after or have to reboot a few times while testing the wireless that it wouldnt cause problems while the line is settling, that way things can be situated in the best place to give me the best signal.

2. Advertisement
      speedyrite is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: MYHGT
      Broadband ISP: NOW Fab Fibre (Sky network)
      Router: NOW TV Hub Two
      Sky TV: NowTV
      Thanks
      Blog Entries
      On Fibre, DLM runs at the street cabinet (not at the exchange). Don't turn off the BT Openreach modem during the first 3 days unless it's unavoidable or you will disrupt the initial DLM process (but it's OK to reboot the Sky router or Hub during this period). DLM will usually take 2 or 3 days after first connection to settle down. Nevertheless, most ISPs tend to prefer you to wait for 10 days before looking into a problem.
      ++ speedyrite ... powered by NOW Broadband from June 2018 ++
      (previously powered by Sky Broadband from July 2007)

Thanks

Re: one final question before l get activated

in either case the closest l'll come to the BTO modem is disconnecting the network cable with my extended one, so the BTO modem will be powered pretty much 24/7 anyways so the only part of the setup that has any possibility of being turned off and being moved to another room would be the router should it be required if the wireless signal causes me any issues.

l was just worried that the router would cause any issues to the training progress since l would be removing network cables and such if it needs to be moved to obtain better signal within my home.

speedyrite is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: MYHGT
      Broadband ISP: NOW Fab Fibre (Sky network)
      Router: NOW TV Hub Two
      Sky TV: NowTV
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Auron View Post
      in either case the closest l'll come to the BTO modem is disconnecting the network cable with my extended one, so the BTO modem will be powered pretty much 24/7 anyways so the only part of the setup that has any possibility of being turned off and being moved to another room would be the router should it be required if the wireless signal causes me any issues.

l was just worried that the router would cause any issues to the training progress since l would be removing network cables and such if it needs to be moved to obtain better signal within my home.
      Don't worry, router on/off won't be a problem.

The only time my BTO modem has been off was during shortish unexpected power cuts. Fortunately (to date) these have always had no apparent effect on the connection speed.
      ++ speedyrite ... powered by NOW Broadband from June 2018 ++
      (previously powered by Sky Broadband from July 2007)

Thanks

oh well, l guess we shall see how things go tomorrow then ^_^ all goes well hopefully and the engineer shows and l have good sync speeds, l shall be happy ^_^.