Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Fibre speed slower since Sunday

This is a discussion on Fibre speed slower since Sunday within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi. I'm on Fibre 40meg and have been getting a consistent 35mb ish on wireless since day one according to ...

flimbo is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Fibre speed slower since Sunday

Hi.
      I'm on Fibre 40meg and have been getting a consistent 35mb ish on wireless since day one according to speedtest.net. However, since Sunday when the modem rebooted it's been around 25mb and I've noticed that my IP address has also changed from 94.xxx.xxx.xxx to 176.xxx.xxx.xxx. Other than that I haven't fiddled or changed anything.
      Does anyone know what's going on with Sky?

Last edited by flimbo; 06-12-12 at 07:57 AM.

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Re: Fibre speed slower since Sunday

Have you checked the speed with ethernet? If not, there is a good chance a new network has come on line and is interfering with your wireless connection.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

No I haven't checked with ethernet yet. According to INSSIDER there are 4 BT Hubs in range and all using channel 6. They have always been there and there are no new networks around.
      Last edited by flimbo; 05-12-12 at 06:37 PM.

Racey43 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky Q 1TB
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Have you checked the speed with ethernet? If not, there is a good chance a new network has come on line and is interfering with your wireless connection.
      Is there anything that can be done if this is the case?

Exchange:
      Thanks

Have just checked with ethernet and I'm getting 36mb again. So it seems it is a wireless issue? Might have to invest in a few homeplugs.
      Last edited by flimbo; 05-12-12 at 06:38 PM.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by flimbo View Post
      Have just checked with ethernet and I'm getting 36mb again. So it seems it is a wireless issue? Might have to invest in a few homeplugs.
      Mine is a wireless issue too. I get 38 wired but only about 22 in the same room as the hub. I've been thinking of getting an Airport Express to solve the problem

Thanks

Unfortunately wireless can suffer from interference which is not obvious on Inssider. If you were able to get the full speed before you should be able to get it again. Try changing your channel to 13 and if that does not help, go to the other end of the scale and try channel 1.

If you do decide on Homeplugs make sure you get at least 200mbps, 500 or gigabit preferably.

As it supports simultaneous dual band the AE is a good choice, as if your devices support it, the 5ghz band is often clearer than the 2.4ghz one. This applies especially in a household with a lot of Apple devices.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Unfortunately wireless can suffer from interference which is not obvious on Inssider. If you were able to get the full speed before you should be able to get it again. Try changing your channel to 13 and if that does not help, go to the other end of the scale and try channel 1.

If you do decide on Homeplugs make sure you get at least 200mbps, 500 or gigabit preferably.

As it supports simultaneous dual band the AE is a good choice, as if your devices support it, the 5ghz band is often clearer than the 2.4ghz one. This applies especially in a household with a lot of Apple devices.
      I've never had full speed with wireless. It improved when I moved the phone but never gets much above 22 whichever channel I try.
      I like the idea of an AE, though. I have several Apple devices so there are other benefits part from wifi.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Racey43 View Post
      I've never had full speed with wireless. It improved when I moved the phone but never gets much above 22 whichever channel I try.
      I like the idea of an AE, though. I have several Apple devices so there are other benefits part from wifi.
      I thought you had got yourself an AE on Black Friday - http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/sky-b...tml#post398369

My first remark was for the OP who did get a good speed with wireless up until recently.

TomD

Useful Utilites

dragon2611 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: AAISP + Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: N/A
      Thanks

Homeplugs can suffer from interference as well, Switch mode powersupplys such as the ones used in various electronic products and phone chargers can cause the speeds to drop rather drastically if they're connected near the homeplugs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast