Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Like Tree1Likes
    • 1 Post By Isitme

Potential Speed Improvments Wireless/Anybody fancy checking this out.....

This is a discussion on Potential Speed Improvments Wireless/Anybody fancy checking this out..... within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi All. Could do with something confirming by people with Sky Hub and Fibre (you might well need fibre to ...

audioslim is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Failsworth
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Potential Speed Improvments Wireless/Anybody fancy checking this out.....

Hi All.

Could do with something confirming by people with Sky Hub and Fibre (you might well need fibre to test the speeds of this).... I'll explain.

Had fibre installed a week or two ago. All fine, 37mb down, speedtests on fixed connection machine and also on wireless laptop.

Playing around with router settings , I changed the wireless encryption from whatever its default is to WEP.
      Suddenly my speed test results halved to 18mb/s. Tried a different option, still the same. Ended up back on WPA2 and the speed is immediatley back up to 37mb/s on speed tests.
      Tried it again, same again.

So I'm wondering does the Sky Hub have problems speed wise with certain wireless security settings or is it my laptop that has the issues.

If anybody has a spare 10 mins to try this out and post back it would be good.

Ta

Slim

2. Advertisement
      dragon2611 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: AAISP + Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: N/A
      Thanks

Re: Potential Speed Improvments Wireless/Anybody fancy checking this out.....

The 802.11n standard Mandates AES as the encryption type.

If you drop back to WEP you'll probably be stuck at 802.11G speeds, also WEP is not secure and can be cracked within minutes, sometimes even seconds.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

So I'm wondering does the Sky Hub have problems speed wise with certain wireless security settings or is it my laptop that has the issues.
      Nothing wrong with your router or laptop, as Dragon says, wireless N will not work with WEP or TKIP, so leave it at WPA2-AES. If you have a device that needs WEP, its time you replaced it.
      Last edited by Isitme; 05-12-12 at 12:12 PM. Reason: Thanks to Dragon
      dragon2611 likes this.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,243 Times in 2,106 Posts

Steer clear of WEP. It is insecure and the manufacturers should start dropping it from next year.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

audioslim is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Failsworth
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks

Yeah , I'm aware WEP is easilly hacked. At one time had a few devices that didnt really like WPA2 hence I used to use WEP.

Still I would expect 802g to support fast enough speeds for 37mb/s. For it to drop to 18 is a little strange.

At least that clears that one up..

Ta

Slim

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Still I would expect 802g to support fast enough speeds for 37mb/s.
      In theory at 54mbps you would think it would, but in real world speed you would be lucky to get one third of that.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.