Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Like Tree1Likes

Second router in garden

This is a discussion on Second router in garden within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I have Sky Fiber Optic with the router and modem in my bedroom. I have a (very long) ethernet cable ...

jamie21 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: BT
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Second router in garden

I have Sky Fiber Optic with the router and modem in my bedroom. I have a (very long) ethernet cable running from the router to a den in the back of the garden and want to add a second wireless router there to get wireless connectivity in the den, as well as a couple of extra ethernet ports.

Is there a specific router I should be looking for or will any router do the job? Also could anyone point me in the right direction for how to configure this router when I get it? I can't seem to find any answers through the search box.

Cheers

2. Advertisement
      NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: Second router in garden

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

4. The Following User Says Thank You to NewsreadeR For This Useful Post:

jamie21 (06-12-12)

dragon2611 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: AAISP + Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: N/A
      Thanks

On most wireless routers you can turn the router functions off and just have them function as an AP/Switch.

Basically you'll want to do the following.

1) Turn off the 2nd routers DHCP server so it doesn't try and hand out addresses to stuff on your network (The main router will be handling that)

2) Set the IP address of the 2nd router to a spare one in the same range as the current network- E.g if your current Sky router is 192.168.0.1 you could consider 192.168.0.250)

3) Set the wireless settings on the 2nd router so that it has the same SSID and Security as the main one but NOT the same wireless channel.

4) Connect one of the LAN ports of the 2nd router to your network.

What should happen is your device will at some point (When depends on the device, some devices are quite good at switching others tend to prefer to stick to the AP they're connected to) decide that the wireless signal it's receiving from the AP it's currently connected to isn't strong enough and should do a scan to see if there are any other AP's in the area offering the same wireless SSID but with a Stronger signal.

If the device decides the signal from the 2nd AP is sufficiently stronger it should hop across.

Edit:

Changed IP for 2nd router as the orginal IP i'd proposed could conflict with Addresses handed out by the SKY router - Thanks Scubbie for pointing that out
      Last edited by dragon2611; 01-12-12 at 10:19 PM.

WheelNutWalter is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LCHEY
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagemcom 2504N
      Thanks

You don't need a router, you need a wireless access point. Many routers have a wireless access point built in, but don't confuse the two components.

Ensure on the new access point that if it has a DHCP server built in (which it probably has), that you disable it, as this will cause havoc if you don't.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to WheelNutWalter For This Useful Post:

jamie21 (06-12-12)

jamie21 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: BT
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Excellent thanks for the replies guys - I actually have my old Sky Broadband router (the one I had before Sky gave my new one for my Fiber Optic) lying around somewhere - can I configure the settings on it and use that? Or would that not work as I remember reading something about Sky encrypting usernames and passwords onto their routers?

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by WheelNutWalter View Post
      You don't need a router, you need a wireless access point. Many routers have a wireless access point built in, but don't confuse the two components.

Ensure on the new access point that if it has a DHCP server built in (which it probably has), that you disable it, as this will cause havoc if you don't.

Correct, but most SOHO routers bridge the switch directly to the integrated AP, so as long as you turn off DHCP.etc they'll work fine as a dumb AP and they often end up costing less than buying a dedicated ap.

The Old sky router may work although I'm sure someone said that some of them have to be online before they'll let you save the settings (Seems like a rather stupid thing to do but oh well)

audioslim is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Failsworth
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks

I think you need to leave DHCP turned on on your second router. Just make sure that the DHCP ip range is different to that on the main router.
      If you turn DHCP off on that router (without actually briding the connections if that is possible) then you wont get an IP address assigned (in which case it'll have to be fixed, but thats not clever on mobile devices).

If the second router will run in bridge mode and does DHCP relay then that is better.

I've just put an old O2 router in doing the same job. It doesnt have DHCP relay as far as I can see so I've had to set its DHCP range different to the sky router.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by audioslim View Post
      I think you need to leave DHCP turned on on your second router. Just make sure that the DHCP ip range is different to that on the main router.
      If you turn DHCP off on that router (without actually briding the connections if that is possible) then you wont get an IP address assigned (in which case it'll have to be fixed, but thats not clever on mobile devices).

If the second router will run in bridge mode and does DHCP relay then that is better.

I've just put an old O2 router in doing the same job. It doesn't have DHCP relay as far as I can see so I've had to set its DHCP range different to the sky router.
      Do NOT do this if you have the 2nd router connected via it's Lan port, otherwise you'll end up with 2 DHCP servers in the same L2 broadcast domain and it will be down to whichever responds to the DHCP Request broadcast first.

The O2 routers do have DHCP relay, but unless you're in a different Subnet you don't need it, also if the DHCP broadcast isn't going from Lan > Wan it's because of the way technicolor routers work, might have to disable it's firewall first.
      Scubbie likes this.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to dragon2611 For This Useful Post:

jamie21 (06-12-12)

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Another major side effect of setting the DHCP service on a router would be that it will be looking to control the LAN and pass requests for the Internet to it's WAN connection. If it isn't connected to the Internet, then you'll be stuffed.

Whilst more sophisticated routers allow you to specify the address for the Internet access, this option isn't available on most of the Sky routers.

There is a guide in this thread to help with all this:

http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/askin...-together.html

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

jamie21 (06-12-12)

audioslim is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Failsworth
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks

Edited.....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast