Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

New FiberPro User. Few questions.

This is a discussion on New FiberPro User. Few questions. within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; SSD failure...oooo that hurts. 2TB backups. My core data I backed to 2x 2TB WD USB 3.0 drives and 1x ...

iBhoot is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stratford
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Asus RT-N66U DD-WRT/Merlin (waiting delivery)
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: New FiberPro User. Few questions.

SSD failure...oooo that hurts. 2TB backups. My core data I backed to 2x 2TB WD USB 3.0 drives and 1x WD MyBook 2TB. Have daily and weekly backups and also have a Synology box if I need instant storage relief. I backup my work data all the time, PC stuff not so much as most of it films/movies and games (origin/steam/guild wars 2 - all of which I can download again).

2. Advertisement
      dragon2611 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: AAISP + Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: N/A
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iBhoot View Post
      SSD failure...oooo that hurts. 2TB backups. My core data I backed to 2x 2TB WD USB 3.0 drives and 1x WD MyBook 2TB. Have daily and weekly backups and also have a Synology box if I need instant storage relief. I backup my work data all the time, PC stuff not so much as most of it films/movies and games (origin/steam/guild wars 2 - all of which I can download again).
      I use a cloud backup service for the core data as well as keeping local copies, at the moment it's SpiderOak , Previously it was Jungledisk (Which I still use for some stuff actually). I did look at some of the other providers but I'm not really satisfied they properly encrypt the data before it gets sent or they don't cater to multiple devices.

Although I am starting to wonder why I'm bothering to pay a cloud storage provider to keep a backup of my home pc when actually if I find a decent and reasonably priced utility that supports clientside encryption and Block level backups I could just backup to my own drives.

It's the block level stuff that really makes a difference means you don't have to upload an entire file for a small change.

I generally consider Core data to be anything that I can't replace such as documents and photos, Non Core data such as media content I don't really care enough about to do more than a simple raid1.

iBhoot is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stratford
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Asus RT-N66U DD-WRT/Merlin (waiting delivery)
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

dragon...interesting. Will look at spideroak and jungledisk. I use dropbox for purely document backups, etc. It sync's up with so many things I use that using anything else such as google drive of MS skydrive thing is not an option. I under the 2GB storage though so its free. I would seriously consider something like a Synology box and chuck a few HDDs inside depending on your needs. I have 2x 1TBs at the moment in RAID 1. The OS called DSM is very nice to use and with the add-ons which are all free, it becomes pretty awesome. I have it installed as an iTunes server, SFTP access for dropping files for downloading, Cloud service for dropping a few files, video / movie streamer. OS is well designed and support documents are pretty decent. I wanted something that was very easy to use and had anti-virus service. I got the DS212+ and been extremely happy with everything it does so far. Very well supported by the company as well which - you know it will last for sometime.

dragon2611 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: AAISP + Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: N/A
      Thanks

Have a HP microserver running Nextenta Stor community at home.

Have had experience with Synology, had a 210j a while back ended up replacing it with the mircroserver as I wanted better write speeds, however a good unit.

I have space to install additional drives in my offsite servers if I needed to ;-)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123