Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

New FiberPro User. Few questions.

This is a discussion on New FiberPro User. Few questions. within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I was getting 90Mbit/s (LAN > LAN) out of a Meru AP I was able to borrow using 5ghz from ...

dragon2611 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: AAISP + Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: N/A
      Thanks

Re: New FiberPro User. Few questions.

I was getting 90Mbit/s (LAN > LAN) out of a Meru AP I was able to borrow using 5ghz from a macbook air to a wired PC.

It Should be higher but it seems my Gig switch doesn't want to negotiate gigabit speeds with the AP for some reason, it will be either the switch or the POE injector, and I suspect the switch since it's a cheap plexus switch (I seem to recall paying 25 for it several years ago) and I've known some devices to have trouble with it in the past.

I've seen 160Mbit/s + from 5ghz on these AP's before from the Air

Sadly I don't have another Gigabit capable switch at home currently

2. Advertisement
      seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iBhoot View Post
      I have noticed that my Apple stuff does download faster than my Windows PC - noticeably. Speed test get the same results so might look into tweaking the Windows NIC settings - any advice would be welcomed
      I don't know if it's the NIC or the operating system that allows MACs to outperform Windows PCs so you might like to try putting a live linux distribution on a memory stick, allowing it access to your hard drive for temp and seeing what speed you get. There are some driver issues with linux but most NICs are well supported.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,243 Times in 2,106 Posts

An old issue is network optimisation with a Windows computer.

There are lots of different tools which will simplify the task and it might be worth checking out which ones do a good job of this.

Would anyone be interested in doing some research on this topic on behalf of the forum and composing a report?

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

iBhoot is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stratford
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Asus RT-N66U DD-WRT/Merlin (waiting delivery)
      Thanks

guys...windows issue resolved. Turned out that my I installed this Intel NIC management utility thing for the on board NIC that was causing the slow down. Uninstalled the software and Windows 8 Pro is getting good speeds again - PC spec's built early Nov 2012:
      BitFenix Prodigy Black
      Asus P8Z77-I Deluxe
      Intel Core i7 3770k
      8GB Corsair Dominator
      Corsair AX750 PSU
      nVidia 680 2GB WCed with EK block
      Crucial C300 256GB SSD, 2x 2TB Hitachi SataIII's
      Watercooling: 240mm Roof mounted Alphacool UT60 with 2x 120mm GentleTyphoons 1850s fan controlled by miniNG, 120mm Alphacool UT30 rad rear mounted with GentleTyphoon 1450 in pull-config, XSCP Raystorm CPU WB, 2x in parallel EK 2.2/Phobya 220 pumps, Bitpowes z-series 80mm res, Clear UV-blue 16/10mm tubing with white Monsoon compressions fittings and some bitspower adpater fittings matte black, franken fillport for the res (90c EK rotary + 5cm extension + XSPC 90c rotary+tubing+bitspower fill-stopper;-) XSPC Clear UV-Blue coolant and some Mayhems Clear UV-Blue dye - UV 5cm light tubes. Ugraded the front from to a 500rpm 120mm Noctua fan.

Miss my KillerNic network card...it makes huge difference when your online gaming regardless of the speed of your link-_-

Thanks

Guys...had some weirdness happen across both my PC and MacBook Pro late 2011 17" laptop. The speed decreased down to 50Mbps even tried wired. After around 2 hours suddenly the connection was back to normal speed. Also noticed that my ping has increased from 14ms to 19ms. I configured QOS on the Asus RT-N66U and that does seem to have made a difference when gaming and downloading updates, etc.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iBhoot View Post
      Miss my KillerNic network card...it makes huge difference when your online gaming regardless of the speed of your link-_-
      I Very much doubt that... It will have no control over the packets once they leave it's interface at best it can tag them as high priority which most stuff will just ignore anyway.

Besides which I bet it would have been connecting to the $2 switch chip inside your router anyway!

Ofcourse if you're comparing it to wireless then that's not really a fair comparison, a wired connection should always provide more consistent latency than wireless unless something is very wrong with the network.

Nice setup otherwise, although personally I find water-cooling to a be a scary prospect i'd always be worried about knocking a hose off or not mounting something and dumping all the coolant into the PC which won't do it much good.

Thanks

dragon...QoS has always been an end-to-end technology. When information needs to be sent from the PC the KillerNIC would prioritize the traffic correctly and then send to the router/modem. The router/modem would also have a similar configuration to the PC/KillerNIC and follow the same QoS policy. After that you have no control over the traffic, as you know. As this is a home connection, we can only control the traffic flow to the point of the packets actually leaving the modem. Does QoS make a difference? In my opinion yes it does when there is traffic load. Also you have to take into account that there are different types of QoS. From FIFO, which is usually the standard to Priority and Custom, LLQ and CBWFQ. The Asus DarkNight which I have uses Class-Based Weighted Fair Queuing...CB-WFQ which is great. As home / residential connections, we just want to give our interactive traffic a slight priority over all the other traffic (xbox live, steam, origin such as Battlefield 3 and Guild Wars and other MMO's - not forgetting voice if you do VoIP).

Does everyone have to configure QoS? Nope. I put it down to personal preference and getting the best out of what you have.

As for WLAN/WiFi traffic. When WLAN traffic streams start there is a slight hit on latency but one traffic flow is established to the router/modem then QoS does come into play. The inherent way that 802.x WLAN transmission protocols were designed means all authentication traffic is sent per packet, which does affect the actual throughput of actual data being transmitted. VoIP or QoS is one of the few technologies that necessitates the need for QoS. Using something like a Vocera or Avaya WLAN handset phone over a network without voice a low to moderate traffic load can cause issues.

Watercooling. I use compressions fittings when connecting the tubing. Compressions fittings are like two screws. You screw then together and the holds the tubing in place. You have to quite a lot of force to pull the tubing out. When you fill the watercooling system with coolant / liquid you sometimes need to tap the tubing to loosen the air bubbles during the air phase - you want the watercooling loop to have no air bubbles as this can damage the watercooling pump. Simply running the system as normal and ensuring the air bubbles can escape is usually enough to get a bubble free loop. Honestly, WCing is just better management of the way the PC is cooled. I initially went for an external watercooling system for the first time and gradually went to internal watercooling systems. Attached some images below while I was building the PC.

Just note...I am not having a go about QoS, you made some good points - like your avatar!

New FiberPro User. Few questions.-img_0145.jpgNew FiberPro User. Few questions.-img_0123.jpg

Images are upside down...WTF to iPhone pictures...sry...
      Last edited by iBhoot; 02-12-12 at 01:32 PM. Reason: upside down images...WTF?

Exchange:
      Thanks

It's possible to do some Downstream QOS on a residential ISP but it's very very crude without the ISP supporting it basically if it's a TCP based protocol you can choose to drop packets above a certain threshold which will usually cause the far end to back off. But it's very inefficient as it will cause retransmits.

As you point out however Upstream QOS at the modem/router can be very effective, although your ISP will ignore it that doesn't really matter because usually they have plenty of spare upstream capacity.

With Wlan I was more referring to the fact you're relying on "Air" as the transmission medium as you probably know you can get a nice stable connection on Wi-Fi or it can be absolutely horrible depending on the environment.

Powerline can also have a fair amount of jitter.

Thanks

When I installed Windows 8 Pro I looked into tweaking the NIC settings and decided against it. Keeping of tcpip.sys with Windows updates is not something I want to do any more.

WiFi. Agree 100%. My 5ghz reception is great in the same room but drops to ultra low speeds very quickly as distance increases. 2.4Ghz G/N works fine. One of HDDs in my PC just died...sometimes knowing ur hardware too well is kind of scary. I had issues copying files from one of the 2TB Hitachi drives and instantly knew the HDD had gone bad...after testing confirmed it and RMA'ed it. Happy I found the issue and getting it sorted out...sad that I actually knew what the issue was - trying to be un-geeky is pretty hard sometimes. Mentioned the HDD to a friend and he asked how did I even know what the issue was...I made some crap up...telling him I got a stethoscope and listened the HDD spinning would firmly put me the 'ultra no social life' category

Exchange:
      Thanks

At least you had some warning

Had a vertex 2E SSD where it's controller chip decided to just Die one day, couldn't be seen by the bios let alone anything else.

These cheap 2TB+ drives do bring on the old problem of what does one backup such a large drive to, other than perhaps another one.

Tend to use at least RAID1 for my storage drives but even then it's totally possible for several to go bad at once.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast