Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Like Tree2Likes

Another 'Road to Fibre' thread

This is a discussion on Another 'Road to Fibre' thread within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; So, where do I start. I was advised by the previous CS member when taking out the phone line and ...

itype is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Basingstoke, THBZ
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Another 'Road to Fibre' thread - Problems

So, where do I start. I was advised by the previous CS member when taking out the phone line and talk package that we could get Fibre and put a note on the account about crediting back the 50 fee, he said "there will be no problems", yeah right.

Phoncall #1 on 06/11/12 @ 14:30
      I phoned to upgrade to Fibre Unlimited. Got put through to sales and explained to the guy about upgrading and the system notes say that we can get the activation charges credited back to the account. He looked at the notes and said that he wouldn't be able to do the purchase and refund the credit. He then passed me through to upgrades after talking with his supervisor.

Got through to upgrades, the lady said that she wouldn't be able to do the purchase and said that she will pass me through to the Fibre Team, she said she would explain the situation prior to me getting transfered. Was on hold for a long period of time, the phone ended up cutting off from their end at 48 minutes. During the period of time from being put onto hold to get through the Fibre Team, the member of staff that I was previously talking to never came back and apoligised for the length of time, as said the call simply "cut off".

Phonecall #2 on 06/11/12 @ 15:18
      Phoned again, complained about 48 minute call time with 95% of that time being put on hold. Tried to process the order again, then the lady ran into technical difficulties with her system. Was put on hold, her manager told her to tell me to ring back later as she couldn't do anything. Although I was extremely frustrated I agreed. She apologised about the issues and the previous call, I politely told her that technical issues happen. This call lasted about 20 minutes.

Conclusion
      At this stage I'm extremely annoyed with the first phonecall, good thing I have Sky Talk and it didn't cost me anything. The second phonecall, issues happen, so I understand. All I want to do is upgrade the internet. On another note, I spoke to the second CS in Phonecall #2 about receiving a new router, she said, "We don't always send out new routers for upgrades and that a Sky Hub 'may' incur additional charges. First of all what the hell? I was under the impression that all upgrades, whether existing or new, received a new router, especially as we are moving from ADSL to FTTC.

Phonecall #3 on 06/11/12 @ 16:40
      Got off the phone from a very helpful staff member from Newscastle. I phoned to try and process the order again. Was on the phone for about 30 minutes. She accidently added an additional Sky Hub which she couldn't remove, tried contacting the Fibre Team but they have all gone home haha. She promised me a call back, she left notes on my account and was told I'll get called back between 10:00 and 10:30 tomorrow. I trust her. She also confirmed that I would indeed receive a new Sky Hub. Wasn't a productive phonecall but she was extremely helpful and sincere in her help.

Phonecall #4 on 07/11/12 @ 10:30
      Sam from Sky called me back today. She spoke with the Fibre Team about my issue, which now made clear seems to be that because I have a router (ADSL DG934G) they cannot process my order so I can receive my new Sky Hub? She has put a CRF form into one of their departments to get it removed from the account so as she can process the order and add the new router to it. She said it can take upto 24 hours for this to be processed and that I would get a phonecall as soon as it is done, most likely tomorrow at the same time as today.

Phonecall #5 on 08/11/12 @ 09:50
      Sam from Sky called back again. We got the order sorted, they used conference call to try and do the 50 charge for install, she then credited the 50 back onto the account. Our nstall date could have been 22nd November but I asked for a Tuesday, so it's now on the 27th between 8am and 1pm. This experience has been great and Sam stuck by her word and called me back when she said she would. So great job, even though she won't see this. Will get the Sky hub within the next few days. Great experience overall, good job Sky. Lets hope BTO don't balls things up like I've read in other threads.
      Last edited by itype; 08-11-12 at 10:13 AM. Reason: Adding content

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Re: Another 'Road to Fibre' thread

I was under the impression that all upgrades, whether existing or new, received a new router, especially as we are moving from ADSL to FTTC.
      With the introduction of the new Sky Hub, which is capable of fibre and ADSL out of the box, this is likely to change. If you have already been issued with a Hub, then you will not get another one for fibre, it isn't necessary. I am surprised they did not simply install the necessary firmware to those who had 2504Ns, instead of sending out a router which is exactly the same, bar the firmware. As you have an old router, you will get a new one, so don't worry about that. Some of the Sky staff do not really know what is going on and talk nonsense.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

itype is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Basingstoke, THBZ
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks

This was my impression. I will update the OP with additional information so as I can use it to keep track and others can use it has a sort of reference if this is ok? I was promised a phonecall back tomorrow morning from the member of staff I've just got off the phone from, I trust her and don't think she would lie to me, she sounded really genuine in her help and feedback to me, she sounded like she actually cared about my order.

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      As you have an old router, you will get a new one, so don't worry about that. Some of the Sky staff do not really know what is going on and talk nonsense.

gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      I am surprised they did not simply install the necessary firmware to those who had 2504Ns, instead of sending out a router which is exactly the same, bar the firmware.
      Isn't that what the problematic 6.14.1a4N_UNI firmware was all about?

2504n fibre firmware 5.27.1a4N
      2504n adsl firmware 5.23.1a4N

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gymno View Post
      Isn't that what the problematic 6.14.1a4N_UNI firmware was all about?

2504n fibre firmware 5.27.1a4N
      2504n adsl firmware 5.23.1a4N
      No the problematic one went to the ADSL customers iirc

The 2504n Fibre FW has the option for Fibre or ADSL I think?

Sky should have just upgraded people's routers and saved some money. But then again that is just too simple.
      ~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

There's several members on fibre in this thread that received the 6.14.1a4N_UNI update.

http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/sky-b...-firmware.html
      Last edited by gymno; 06-11-12 at 06:42 PM. Reason: added 'on fibre' for clarity

Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gymno View Post
      There's several members in this thread that received the 6.14.1a4N_UNI update.

http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/sky-b...-firmware.html

Doh! I can't remember everything

Ahh well, either way its broken on that FW
      ~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

If someone could upload the firmware files from the Fibre version on their recovery CD, perhaps you could use the to change the firmware on an ADSL version of the router.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      If someone could upload the firmware files from the Fibre version on their recovery CD, perhaps you could use the to change the firmware on an ADSL version of the router.
      The recovery file on the normal 2504n don't work if you try to reflash it, so I doubt the Fibre one would?

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

I recall someone managing to do it from the ADSL to the Fibre version.

I can understand the recovery not working as it would move the fibre backwards and I don't think it likes that.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast