Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

DSL light green on Openreach modem but no @ light on router

This is a discussion on DSL light green on Openreach modem but no @ light on router within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Okay... It has been almost 10 days since the engineer came out to install our fibre service after waiting two ...

J0sh is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

DSL light green on Openreach modem but no @ light on router

Okay...

It has been almost 10 days since the engineer came out to install our fibre service after waiting two weeks for the installation.

After the guy had installed the new faceplate and plugged in the modem etc., I connected the Sky router to the LAN 1 port on the modem using the first yellow port on the router. After a minute or two it became quite clear that we weren't getting any internet connection at all. I tried the internet and the router page was displayed and it stated that there was no internet connection available.

The openreach guy then left as he wasn't able to touch the Sky router and could see the modem had sync and even gave us the speed of the line (71.3Mbit/s). He told us to get in touch with Sky as he thought it was a simple case of the connection not being activated.

Phoned Sky and was told to wait until midnight before anything could be done and the lady seemed quite confident that this would be the issue...

The following morning I go to check the router and it is the same: DSL light is green on the modem and no @ symbol on the router.

I've managed to get an orange @ light if I change the auto detection option in the router, but still no connection.

When I got in touch with Sky for the second time, I was told that it could be a faulty router so they decided to send another one which didn't arrive until 6 days later... Unsurprisingly, this router did exactly the same.

Phoned Sky and they then suggested that an engineer come out and check our 'star' wiring. A guy came out a few days later and re-wired an extension socket and was confident that this was done correctly. This didn't resolve the issue and we were left with no connection. He checked the line and it read 68Mbit/s this time (slower than before).

After this he contacted Sky and asked them if the B RAZ or something was routed properly... Anyway... The guy at the fibre department couldn't do anything and referred it to their more technical department.

After daily calls for an update, they had no new information.

Got back in touch with Sky and they told me to try the routers on a Sky ADSL connection and see which one works... Fortunately a neighbour had this service and we were able to get one to sync and use it to browse the internet. I wasn't entirely sure how this proved anything, but we tried it.

Phoned Sky complaints and they put me back through to the fibre team who then sent us another engineer. This engineer came this morning and changed the modem for a new one and even went to the cab and checked the S and C tags were correct and even got BT to drop the connection and restart it but STILL no connection.

Phoned Sky back and they said that it could still be the 'star' wiring and that the engineer could have made a mistake. They even said that the guy who checked the pairs could have made a mistake!!

I took it upon myself to disconnect the additional wiring and now the only connection is to the master socket. Same thing DSL light but no @ light or internet connection.

The guy is still coming out on Wednesday to check the wiring in the house which has been checked about 5 times this year!

I asked Sky what the next step would be if the wiring is okay and he said that they'd probably send another router!!!

I have to say that I am at the point of giving up with Sky as it just seems that they're going to send me router after router and engineer after engineer and each time we'll get the same result: BTO guy says all is fine; Sky say all is fine and each router does the same!!!

Am I going mad, or is this crazy?! I don't even know where we stand with Sky as they are not providing their side of the contract.

I would also like to ask whether it is possible to use the modem directly rather than these Sky routers to see whether that does anything.

Really at a loss as to what to do now. It strikes me that we'll have to go back to ADSL or just keep using our mobile phones for inernet... :-(

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Re: DSL light green on Openreach modem but no @ light on router

Welcome to the forum Josh.

I would be inclined to want to use a known working router. Do you know anyone else locally who also has a Sky Fibre or just a Sky ADSL connection?

If they have a Fibre connection, then I would ask if you can try your router at their home. It might take up to an hour to connect for the first time, but it should work. The next step would be to borrow their Sky router and try it at your home. Please ensure that if they are using a non-Sky router, that this is not connected at the same time as it will be using their router's log in details and it won't work.

If the friend only has an ADSL connection, then your router should work on their connection, but their router is unlikely to work on yours, unless it has the correct firmware. The Sky Hub SR101 would be able to work in both places.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Exchange:
      Thanks

Hey, Scubbie. :-)

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, we don't happen to know anyone who may on Sky fibre... We did try one router on a neighbours Sky line and it got sync the light came on and went green. We even proceeded to browse the internet on a laptop! This would tell me that the router may be okay. One didn't work, but the newest one they sent was the one which seemed to work. The other just gave an amber @ light.

I'm not sure how we'd manage to get to know of someone locally who has Sky fibre without advertising the fact that we're looking in the newspaper or somewhere... lol

I would like to know what is likely to happen with another engineer... No-one has been to the exchange since the installation two weeks ago.

We've now only got the one socket connected and good speeds (according to the BOT guys).

Where do we stand legally... Are we able to break away and go with BT. I don't think LLU services are much good as we've had this before with our previous ADSL provider. Perhaps BT would have had it working by now as they can touch all of the kit and deal with it from start to finish; none of this pillar to post nonsense.

w4ffles is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Thanks

I had the same issue from the day my fibre was installed. This was fixed last weekend.

Sky sent a BT engineer who tested my line for everything; he noted I could even get 75 mb down and 25mb up. While onsite the engineer called sky ( on hold for an hour) when he got through to someone he explained what he had done, sky said he should close the job as there was obviously nothing wrong with the line. In this case the engineer was right, imo he had done a very good job.

Just after the engineer left the fibre team rang, they again asked me for the routers mac address and said they would upgrade the ticket to the network team.

The light went green overnight and I now have 40mb. The fibre team called on Sunday and noted the router had logged in, although he was not fully sure how it was fixed. He did say that because we were the first customer in the area with Sky fibre there was no route built to Sky.

Just remember if the DSL light is active on the BT modem, then it might be that your router is not allowed to authenticate with Sky. Working in IT we fit routers to customerís sites almost every day and an orange light usually indicates the username or password is incorrect. Not always mind you.

speedyrite is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: MYHGT
      Broadband ISP: NOW Broadband
      Router: NOW TV Hub Two
      Sky TV: NOW TV
      Thanks
      Blog Entries
      Have you tried plugging the cable from the modem into a different port on the router? If you've got it plugged into the top one, switch it to the bottom one (or vice versa) - I can't quite remember which is the port that has been specifically assigned for fibre.

Also maybe change the connection setting to WANoE only (again, as I'm not home right now, I can't remember the exact page in the router UI) to be sure.

If these things don't make it work then as previous poster said, the router is not authenticating onto Sky network for some reason, so keep calling Sky & try and get through to the Fibre Team and tell them that's what you think is wrong.
      ++ speedyrite ... powered by NOW Broadband from June 2018 ++
      (previously powered by Sky Broadband from July 2007)

Exchange:
      Thanks

Hey guys,

Thanks for the additional information.

Would you believe it, the Fibre department are too busy to take calls at this time.... What a joke...

I think it is the MAC issue... They claim that the MAC is authenticated.. Though, this was for the previous modem which didn't get Sync on the neighbours ADSL line.

Interesting that you had the same issue, w4ffles.

Apparently Sky are fairly certain that there are 25 people using the exchange on Sky quite happily... I doubt any of them are on our cab.

When I get through I will ask them about the MAC and see what they have set for authentication -- if they'll tell me!

It is getting to the point now whereby I don't fancy waiting another 5 working days for a router which is likely to do the same thing...

:-(

Thanks

@Josh: Just a quick note: You asked about how you might be able to arrange to meet someone in the same area as you, who has Sky.

This forum has the option for people to put in some semi-personal information, such as which telephone exchange you are connected to. Personally I use the area code in mine. This covers a large area, including where I live. It might be useful if this information was updated as a fellow member may be in the same area and may be able to offer some localised support.

Of course ALWAYS be careful and never post your full address on the forum.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

Exchange:
      Thanks

Latest update: Sky are sending out a FTTC2 engineer not a FTTC3 engineer tomorrow. Apparently he won't come to the premises but will check from the Exchange etc... We should get a call around that time to check if we're getting any service.

Fingers crossed.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Update: No internet. No guy went to the exchange when promised. No-one from Sky contacted us when promised. Phoned them after twelve and they hadn't got a clue as to whether anyone was going to check it for us. Promised to call back at 3:30 and ended up having to call them back.

These guys are an absolute farce; they have absolutely no clue as to what they're talking about or what they need to do. They seem to continuously pass your comments on to their network management team who never get back with updates...

Now we're waiting for YET ANOTHER update!!! I just can't believe how difficult it is for Sky to work with Openreach to get this resolved and the connection working.

To go to BT it will be a 3 week wait for installation. Though, I to believe that BT would have resolved this issue by now as they can tinker with everything and the BTO guys can do a lot more with BT installs.

I really think it may be time to stop payments to Sky for broadband and maybe drop the fibre connection and return to ADSL with BT or someone. It looks as though it is virtually impossible for our house (only our house) to get fibre broadband, so there's little point in pursuing it... No?

Absolutely fed up with their lack of proficiency and constant red-tape attitude.

Thanks

Please do take this up with both the Executive Team and Ofcom.

If Sky are being let down by BTO Engineers, then Ofcom should know about it. Why should BTO Engineers get away with messing up the non-BT PLC ISPs because of loyalty to the overall boss and share holders at the expense of what should be a free market and in a job where they should work without prejudice for all the ISPs?

Do we really want just the one telecommunications company in this country?

Sure, someone from Sky should have called you back and offered some better detail, so perhaps Sky could have been better in this case.

email: jeremy dot darroch at bskyb dot com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast