Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Like Tree3Likes

Sky SR101 - how do i calculate my password to use on third party router

This is a discussion on Sky SR101 - how do i calculate my password to use on third party router within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; you going to compare a propitiatory flimsy router with my existing setup running on a hp proliant server with vmware ...

lixxus is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Sky SR101 - how do i calculate my password to use on third party router

you going to compare a propitiatory flimsy router with my existing setup running on a hp proliant server with vmware exsi

it just simply doesnt meet my needs. I could go with zen isp and use my own equipment but i dont want data caps and its far too expensive considering the technology is relatively new.

I rather try and find a hack to get it working. although i do think a petition should be started by sky users so that we can use our own equipment if we choose. some users needs are more than others.

Quote Originally Posted by Racey43 View Post
      In what way is the new hub crap?
      jrfer likes this.

2. Advertisement
      Racey43 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky Q 1TB
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lixxus View Post
      you going to compare a propitiatory flimsy router with my existing setup running on a hp proliant server with vmware exsi

it just simply doesnt meet my needs. I could go with zen isp and use my own equipment but i dont want data caps and its far too expensive considering the technology is relatively new.

I rather try and find a hack to get it working. although i do think a petition should be started by sky users so that we can use our own equipment if we choose. some users needs are more than others.
      I see. Actually, I don't understand a word of the above.
      I'm just hoping that the new Sky router, when I get it, will be as reliable as my current Sagem and the BT hub which preceded it. I've used both of these for years with no problem.
      Incidentally,"propitiatory" means "win or regain the favour of (a god, spirit, or person) by doing something that pleases them:"
      I'm hoping the SR101 pleases me, if no one else

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,243 Times in 2,106 Posts

Sure the Sky Hub SR101 is good for those out there who are not heavily into running their own servers at home, but then I would suggest that you check your T&Cs.

Sky's broadband services are specifically designed for the Domestic market, not a business market. I would expect to see such servers either in the home of an IT student or in a business. As a consequence there are specific clauses which come in to play should your connection be lost for a period of time, including the fact that you will not receive any compensation for loss of income.

If you are interested, you could set up your network so that the server is running your LAN and the Sky Hub SR101 is essentially just used as a means to verify the connection with Sky's servers. Placing the server's IP Address in the DMZ Server setting in the router should achieve this.

BTW: As someone who does appreciate a router with 5GHz WiFi, 1Gbit LAN and lots more, yes I would agree that there is more that the Sky Hub SR101 could have offered. Most of Sky's customers (over 4.1 million now) do not need this kind of service yet.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

Thanks

I'm just hoping that the new Sky router, when I get it, will be as reliable as my current Sagem and the BT hub which preceded it. I've used both of these for years with no problem...

...I'm hoping the SR101 pleases me, if no one else
      From the feedback I have seen so far, this router does now appear to be quite reliable.

Most people will just want to plug it in and gain access to the Internet. In this respect it works well and provides a reasonable service.

There are some features missing when compared to the BT HomeHub v2 or v3, such as the parental controls. This is annoying for many people out there.

Racey43 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky Q 1TB
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      From the feedback I have seen so far, this router does now appear to be quite reliable.

Most people will just want to plug it in and gain access to the Internet. In this respect it works well and provides a reasonable service.

There are some features missing when compared to the BT HomeHub v2 or v3, such as the parental controls. This is annoying for many people out there.
      I'm one of those people who want to just plug in, have access to the internet, and reliable wifi. I was a bit concerned to see it described as "crap".

Thanks

I'm one of those people who want to just plug in, have access to the internet, and reliable wifi. I was a bit concerned to see it described as "crap".
      No problem. This is what you should find from my own experience and from the various comments I have seen.

Over the years the additional features which many routers have included as standard have improved. For example USB ports, Guest networks, improved parental controls, QoS (Quality of Service), connection speed (the Sky Hub has 4 100mb LAN ports, many now have 1Gbit ports, also the WiFi is now 144mbps, some routers support 300mbps and higher).

For many the current list of specification of the Sky Hub are adequate. There are those, myself included, who would like better. Sky's current slogan is "Believe in Better".

I don't think that the development of the Sky Hub SR101 has finished though. The Beta group is still active and that is all I can say for now.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

You get what you pay for. If you need a business service, and if you need a Proliant server then you do, then you should pay for one. You would be well aware of the restrictions imposed by Sky before you signed up, if you weren't, you did not research enough. They provide a domestic service and have never pretended to do otherwise, millions are very happy with what they provide.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

There was a rumour around that Sky were to relax the rules on the router etc but nothing so far has come of it.
      ~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

simon194 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: NDHAS
      Router: Sky Q Hub with Billion 8800NL in bridge mode
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lixxus View Post
      what do you mean i will have to use the sagem details. You mean my existing details i extracted ?

will they work ?
      Yes they will. I've tried it.

lixxus is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

im a student studying for my cisco exams. so i need it and money is tight being a student , so this is the cheapest alternative .

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast