Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Like Tree2Likes

Homeplug not working with Sky Fibre

This is a discussion on Homeplug not working with Sky Fibre within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by Scubbie eeeekkkk... Could I suggest that you pick up the MAC Address of the HomePlugs and set ...

heyho is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0113
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Homeplug not working with Sky Fibre

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      eeeekkkk...

Could I suggest that you pick up the MAC Address of the HomePlugs and set up a Reserved IP Address for them both?
      I tried that originally. What I have done is fixed the wireless channel for each of the three devices to 1, 6 & 11. Been up 24 hours without any problems.

Not out of the woods yet as I am still using my original PLC Wireless extender homeplug (rated at b/g - 54mbs) but I will keep this setup for a few days to see if it is stable. then I will swap the PLC Wireless homeplug for my new TP-Link (rated at N - 300mbs) to see if there is some issue with that device.

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

I wonder if you should perhaps consider digging the manual out and resetting all the adaptors to their original state and work from there?

There should be a Factory Reset option.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Thanks

Just an update to this porblem.

i ended up purchasing a DLink DR-615 for 15 off fleabay then flashing it with DD-WRT. Two weeks on and not a single hiccup (famous last words) from the router fibre connection (to be fair neither did the Sky router) nor my Homeplug network.

Deduction - for some reason the (or given that I know people don't have issues - MY) Sky Sagem router doesn't always work correctly with homeplugs. Well it can go and sit in the loft now gathering dust.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Very strange that you should find this. Glad that you have a working solution though.

Quote Originally Posted by heyho View Post
      ...Well it can go and sit in the loft now gathering dust.
      Awww... that's just mean. Why not put it in a box and hide it out of sight in the loft instead?
      jrfer likes this.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

dragon2611 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: AAISP + Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Sky TV: N/A
      Thanks

It was more a case of I have always setup my internal network on the 192.168.1.x range. I'm an IT manager - we have to make ourselves feel technical you know lol (actually it was something I learnt years ago to change from 0.x as it could reduce outside attacks and the like). I also like setting everything with fixed IP's as well

I shall move it all back to 0.x and start again from scratch building it back up.
      Pardon?

The entire 192.168.xxx.xxx/16 range is non routable private address space. It is NOT reachable from the internet, the only attack vectors I can think of would either require one to be on your network or involve exploiting something on your machine (Such as your web browser)

I've seen Javascript based XSS exploits that rely on the fact a router is on it's default IP and has a default admin/admin type login but otherwise 192.168.0.x is no less secure than 192.168.1.x or even 192.168.50.x

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dragon2611 View Post
      Pardon?

The entire 192.168.xxx.xxx/16 range is non routable private address space. It is NOT reachable from the internet, the only attack vectors I can think of would either require one to be on your network or involve exploiting something on your machine (Such as your web browser)

I've seen Javascript based XSS exploits that rely on the fact a router is on it's default IP and has a default admin/admin type login but otherwise 192.168.0.x is no less secure than 192.168.1.x or even 192.168.50.x
      Dragon - there was an element of sarcasm there. It's called being old in the tooth and being taught a lot of IT in the days when the internet was something of a mystery to most folk, including those who were teaching it. Mobile phones were still the size of bricks back then and LOL was an unknown acronymn
      dragon2611 likes this.

dragon2611 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: AAISP + Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Sky TV: N/A
      Thanks

Dragon - there was an element of sarcasm there. It's called being old in the tooth and being taught a lot of IT in the days when the internet was something of a mystery to most folk, including those who were teaching it. Mobile phones were still the size of bricks back then and LOL was an unknown acronymn

The sarcasm was lost on me

Afraid I've heard to much of that kind of talk from people who really should know better

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12