Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Cabinet Enabled - Can't Order Sky

This is a discussion on Cabinet Enabled - Can't Order Sky within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi, After months and months of waiting and delays my frequent check of the BT Infinity website paid off and ...

DeclanTM is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: WSARD
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear DG834PN
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD 1TB
      Thanks

Hi,

After months and months of waiting and delays my frequent check of the BT Infinity website paid off and now shows as "Now" under when can I get this for BT Infinity with an estimated download speed of 66Mbps and an upload of 25Mbps.

I am not sure exactly when this went live however it couldn't have been more than a few days ago, the Openreach website still states that it is a coming soon exchange and won't be active until December 2013.

As it was now available I immediately went to the Sky website and was told that fibre was not available on my phone line. I then proceeded to phone Sky and was told there can be a delay between BT accepting orders and Sky accepting orders as they have to wait until BT provide them the information to update their database.

My question really is how long a gap is there between BT Infinity being available on my line and Sky making their fibre product available to order?

Also my speed estimate is 66/25, what are my chances of this being higher or lower?

Thanks again,
      Declan
      Sky+ HD, Sky Broadband Max LLU, Netgear DG834PN

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,242 Times in 2,105 Posts

Re: Cabinet Enabled - Can't Order Sky

The speed estimates are normally quite conservative, but as the cabinets fill up, they do tend to drop a little to near your estimated speed.

Unfortunately it can be anything from days to weeks or even months.

It is all down to someone ordering the connection to be made and perhaps an update to the Sky kit. Sky can't just walk into the exchange and do the work. Someone from BTO has to be there, or they have to do the work themselves.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

Thanks

Contacted Sky, so frustrated they are saying it can be a 4-5 month delay. What a disappointment after waiting months and months and suffering setbacks and delay in actually getting fibre enabled.

I am only getting around 4Mbps on ADSL and for someone who works with large files (1GB+) regularly over the Internet I am getting desperate.

I am now having to look into other ISPs however really don't want to fall foul of other ISPs FUP's and have my new connection throttled or managed.

Having looked today I am thinking Plusnet might be a good shout?

Has anyone had any experience with them with P2P use etc?

Thanks,
      Declan

dragon2611 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: AAISP + Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: N/A
      Thanks

Re: Cabinet Enabled - Can't Order Sky

Might be worth looking at BT business?

My friend has infinity (residential) and the only throttling he's noticed so far is torrents, which doesn't bother him as he doesn't use bit-torrent other than to test to confirm they were throttling it

Thanks

Had a look at Infinity business, looks quite decent but expensive. I have had BT Retail in the past and it was horrific.

I am quite a heavy user of P2P and eat through a large amount of data currently and this will only increase with fibre speeds. This has put me off Plusnet as they have a 250GB cap.

Sky is really ideal for me with their totally unmanaged network and unlimited usage. Just wish they had the GEA link setup.

I'm holding off just now as no other provider really meets all my needs and I am just hoping Sky won't be too long in getting fibre setup in my exchange.