Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Like Tree1Likes
    • 1 Post By kazz0817

Fibre Journey, Decisions

This is a discussion on Fibre Journey, Decisions within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I am thinking of getting Sky Fibre installed, I currently have Sky Broadband Unlimited Max, my speeds are 8mb Down ...

kazz0817 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Fibre Journey, Decisions

I am thinking of getting Sky Fibre installed, I currently have Sky Broadband Unlimited Max, my speeds are 8mb Down and 6 Up. It's pretty slow, but from what I have read, it's pretty common speeds for ADSL. We don't use the Sky supplied router, we had to buy a D-LINK 2640S which I believe is a Sky router as well, but we was issued a Sagemcom router that was god awful!! The reason we bought the other DLINK is because it allows Open NAT on multiple XBOX 360 Consoles, the Sagemcom did as well, although it had a habit of throwing one person offline.

The DLINK I have now is flawless, my connection is very very reliable, slow, but reliable. I have some questions before ordering, I would like to say a massive thanks in advance, for anyone that can help me in anyways, thank you.

- I am concerned about getting rid of my reliable slow connection for a unreliable fast one, if my connection is stable currently, will that be the same behaviour for Fibre?

- I have read Sky are releasing a new Hub in 2 days (18th Oct) If I order today will I still get the Hub? Or should I wait and order on the 19th/20th?

- I know not much is probably known about the Hub, but anyone who has seen it's stats, would it allow 3 XBOX 360 consoles connected at the same time?

- I have read comments that people have to keep their old router connected as well as a fibre one, will the Hub eradicate this?

- Is there any offers lurking around? I have read some people were given a free 2TB HD Box when upgrading to Fibre etc.

Thanks in advance.

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,243 Times in 2,106 Posts

Re: Fibre Journey, Decisions

I'm not aware of anyone connecting as many as 3 Xboxes within the Beta group, but I can't see there being a huge issue there. The number of DLNA devices which I have running on my home network is quite high and I've had no issues with that side. I know that things are a little different, but the Xbox does use UPnP which is what DLNA also uses.

In respect of using your own routers with Sky Fibre, some work does need to be done to confirm the password/login process, but otherwise you can always use the Hub between the BTO Modem and your own Cable router. Your D-Link would be no good as it is an ADSL router and although it could piggyback onto either the Sky Hub or your own Cable router, it would no be able to run the LAN.

There are always some Offers floating around for Sky. Check the advertising banners on this site. Also check out sites such as Quidco.

In respect of when to order, I can't say. Since it is likely that you will have to wait 2 weeks before the Fibre connection goes live, I would guess that if you order now, the router won't be dispatched until late next week. This should mean that you should get the Sky Hub SR101.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

kazz0817 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Thanksss, now only if they did it in black.
      Scubbie likes this.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,243 Times in 2,106 Posts

I am sure that if you wanted to get some black paint you could always arrange for your to change the colour

I would advise against using a spray can though as the vents would allow the paint to get all over the components inside. Also some people may actually like that big 'sky' logo on the sides.

Fibre Journey, Decisions-2012-06-29-13.11.44-cropped.jpgFibre Journey, Decisions-2012-06-21-11.30.15-cropped.jpg

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.