Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    Like Tree6Likes

New Sky Router

This is a discussion on New Sky Router within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi All Well Sky have now formally launched the new router and it appears they are shipping from 18th October. ...

Johnelf is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Ewell
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity 2
      Router: BT Home Hub 4
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

New Sky Router

Hi All

Well Sky have now formally launched the new router and it appears they are shipping from 18th October.

Sky announces new Sky Hub broadband router - Tech News - Digital Spy

Existing customers can get them for a discounted price of 39 instead of 69. They claim it is the best router provided by any ISP, even better than the Virgin super hub. My question is for those in the know and have already tried them, are they worth the upgrade from the sagem?

Whilst I accept they are 1G Ethernet, the main use here is wireless and as they are not dual band, so how can they be better than a super hub which is dual?

if I had the money I would get a non Sky router, probably Netgear, but accept they are not supported, but would be grateful of any view on the Sky router.

John

2. Advertisement
      buddbuttocks is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: None
      Thanks

Re: New Sky Router

Quote Originally Posted by Johnelf View Post
      Whilst I accept they are 1G Ethernet, the main use here is wireless and as they are not dual band, so how can they be better than a super hub which is dual?
      The claim is "best range", which it could be as 5ghz tends to have worse range than 2.4ghz.

andijames is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Johnelf View Post
      Hi All

Is this confirmed to be a Gigabit router now? I.E the connected ports are indeed 1000M. If so i'd be tempted to get this as it would reduce the clutter i have on a Gigabit network in my house at the moment.

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by andijames View Post
      Is this confirmed to be a Gigabit router now? I.E the connected ports are indeed 1000M. If so i'd be tempted to get this as it would reduce the clutter i have on a Gigabit network in my house at the moment.
      Hello it is confirmed that it is not a Gigabit router. 10/100 is the best that you will get.
      ~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

The specs are as follows for the SR101

Specifications:

• Wireless: WiFi N 144mbps on a single channel (2 MIMO aerials inside) – WiFi Alliance Certification
      • Ethernet: 4 100mb Ports with activity LEDs
      • ADSL2+ Socket
      • Built in PSU
      • Automatically and dynamically selects optimum wireless channel
      • 4 Simple LED icon indications (Power, Wireless, Internet, Sky+ HD)
      • Energy efficient - Complies with the “Code of Conduct on Energy Consumption of Broadband Equipment” within Europe
      • Automated loss of connection diagnostics (pending release)

There are 2 LEDs on the back. The orange one indicates that something is connected. The green one flashes to indicate traffic.

Dimensions: Width 54mm x Height 140mm x Depth 140mm
      ~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

...that is claimed to offer the best wireless range of all the routers offered by rival internet services providers (ISPs).
      ...unbeatable wireless range
      This is some claim. I have previously compared it directly with the WNDR3800 and the signal strengths were more of less the same.

I don't have a BT HomeHub v3 to try, but I do happen to have a BT HomeHub v2. The signal strengths are once more very comparable. I don't know how well the HomeHub v3 compares though.

In fairness if the router is allowed to select a channel automatically, the connection does stay up very well compared to previous Sky routers. I also had two months worth of a good connection (on the 5GHz channel) with the WNDR3800 as well before the Sky Hub.

What I haven't been able to do is to compare the routers at a long distance from my home.

It works with both Sky's ADSL and fibre broadband services.
      This confirms that, unlike with the Sagem 2504N, there will only be one current firmware version for the Sky Hub SR101. This is good news as in time people will be able to upgrade more easily. The current Sky systems require that a replacement router is ordered when switch from ADSL to Fibre. This may change in the future.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Racey43 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Sky TV: Sky Q 1TB
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      This is some claim. I have previously compared it directly with the WNDR3800 and the signal strengths were more of less the same.

I don't have a BT HomeHub v3 to try, but I do happen to have a BT HomeHub v2. The signal strengths are once more very comparable. I don't know how well the HomeHub v3 compares though.

In fairness if the router is allowed to select a channel automatically, the connection does stay up very well compared to previous Sky routers. I also had two months worth of a good connection (on the 5GHz channel) with the WNDR3800 as well before the Sky Hub.

What I haven't been able to do is to compare the routers at a long distance from my home.

This confirms that, unlike with the Sagem 2504N, there will only be one current firmware version for the Sky Hub SR101. This is good news as in time people will be able to upgrade more easily. The current Sky systems require that a replacement router is ordered when switch from ADSL to Fibre. This may change in the future.
      Do you think it is significantly better than the Sagem 2504N?
      I've been delaying upgrading to fibre for a few reasons including the prospect of an improved router. It would be good if the wait has been worthwhile.
      itype likes this.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts
      Based on feedback that has been posted outside the beta group, it does appear to be a good router.

No doubt there will be some issues which will emerge, but got now it appears to be a nice piece of kit.

Sure the GUI is locked down again. Loop-back doesn't work. Some people would prefer a black version.

However it remains reasonably cool. I did manage to warm it up on a couple of occasions, but that was when I was really hammering the router whilst copying lots of files.

Sent from my Galaxy SII using Forum Runner

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

Racey43 (16-10-12)

Racey43 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Sky TV: Sky Q 1TB
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post

Sure the GUI is locked down again.
      What does that mean?

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Racey43 View Post
      What does that mean?
      It means it is locked to Sky Broadband and you only have access to a limited number of settings.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Isitme For This Useful Post:

Racey43 (16-10-12)

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast