Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Like Tree3Likes

Wanting to get Sky Fibre - how do I get rid of this 50 activation fee?!

This is a discussion on Wanting to get Sky Fibre - how do I get rid of this 50 activation fee?! within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hey everyone I hope people can share with me some best practice and help me out. Before you read on, ...

Nitro is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: NEWAS
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Everyday Lite
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Wanting to get Sky Fibre - how do I get rid of this 50 activation fee?!

Hey everyone

I hope people can share with me some best practice and help me out. Before you read on, yes, I'm tight but I can't justify 50 for some broadband activation when I have read on this board they sometimes credit it back!

Anyway, Fibre has just become available in my area with BT. I was going to call up and order it, but thought I'd do a quick Google search first to see if Sky had planned to actually roll out fibre. Turns out, they already had! I was living in a cave.

I rang up and got the spiel, at the time though the order couldn't go through because the Fibre ordering system was down, so I was promised a call back. Of course, that never came so I called back today and the system is now up and running. I was then told I had to pay 50. I managed to get the guy to speak to his supervisor but he came back saying they couldn't change the fee. My approach might have been wrong.

Anyway, they mentioned they would need the phone line to go over to them first.

I called back again just now, to try again but the guy wouldn't budge. I said well can I at least get Sky Talk and then I can decide on the broadband later. I have every intention of doing this, but I thought I'd come here and see if anyone could help me on any sure-fire thing to say to get them to refund that 50 back. Shameless, I know...

Cheers

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Re: Wanting to get Sky Fibre - how do I get rid of this 50 activation fee?!

Do check first, but apparently BT Retail are waiving the installation fee.

If you mention this I am sure that they will consider waiving it for you too. What others have had done is to be charged the 50 installation fee on their card, then to have it refunded to their account.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Thanks

Thanks for the reply. Funny you mention BT, I said that and the guy said BT are charging 140 for activation. I thought "********" but didn't say anything on the phone.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

BT are charging 140 for activation.
      That's a lie and should have been challenged. BTI charge 25 connection fee and give out a 50 voucher at the moment, so the net cost is -25, and its half price for 6 months.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Ah, that's useful ammunition. I thought it was a load of rubbish.

phil123 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Scarborough - MYSCA
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks

Quidco are doing 80 cashback at the moment for upgrades to fibre. You'd still have to pay the installation fee in the first instance, but you'd get it back plus 30 on top

quidco.com/sky-digital-upgrades-tv-and-broadband/
      Last edited by NewsreadeR; 14-10-12 at 10:38 PM. Reason: Fixed URL so not clickable.

deadman1984 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Ponteland Newcastle Upon Tyne
      Broadband ISP: John Lewis broadband
      Router: Nighthawk r7000
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD + multi
      Thanks

no guarantee though skys policy maybe different they may charge everyone regardless

itype is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Basingstoke, THBZ
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

This user mentioned something in another thread on the same subject (Click for the thread:

Quote Originally Posted by Bazookajoe View Post
      I moaned about the 50 upgrade at the time that I was ordering fibre Pro. I made it quite clear that i felt the intial free offer was discriminating against existing sky customers who couldnt order at the time of launch because their cabinet weren't enabled and therefore as a loyal customer, I was unable to take advantage of their offer. I also mentioned that I had waited 5 months for Sky and resisted tempting offers from BT, TalkTalk, Plusnet and Virgin because I was loyal to Sky.

I do spend a lot of money with Sky though....HD, Multiroom, Sports, movies, phone line, broadband and now Fibre Pro

The agent went away for 5 minutes to speak to his manager. He said that I would have to pay the 50 as the system wouldnt bypass the one off payment process but assured me that they would credit my account afterwards.

The next day I had an email from Sky confirming that they had credited my account.

It all depends on who you speak to and how you put a case forward.
      I plan on doing a similar process. But take notes of what others have mentioned in this thread and use it as leverage ;P.

Smir is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01233
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101 x3
      Sky TV: Sky+HD 2TB Box
      Thanks

made this a while ago

shows that sky has the better offer ( over a minimum contract ) which includes tele + extra channel, plus the opportunity for discounts after 12 months.

*only infinity 2 compared due to being unlimited.
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Wanting to get Sky Fibre - how do I get rid of this 50 activation fee?!-prov2.jpg  
      andrewjr likes this.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Smir For This Useful Post:

Budgy (02-01-13)

Smir is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01233
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101 x3
      Sky TV: Sky+HD 2TB Box
      Thanks

update seems like sky is offering a free 2tb hd box... even better offer...?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast