Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Like Tree1Likes
    • 1 Post By Scubbie

Just ordered it (a few questions - apologies if they are already answered)

This is a discussion on Just ordered it (a few questions - apologies if they are already answered) within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Just ordered the Sky fibre. A few questions: (1) Is the Sky supplied router any good (I use a DGN3500 ...

heyho is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0113
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Just ordered it (a few questions - apologies if they are already answered)

Just ordered the Sky fibre. A few questions:

(1) Is the Sky supplied router any good (I use a DGN3500 at the moment) - it's not come yet. Does it have Wireless N

(2) Can the Netgear DGN3500 work in its place?

(3) I've got a ADSLNation master socket, is that an issue for the engineer.

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Re: Just ordered it (a few questions - apologies if they are already answered)

The Sky router has N Lite, up to 144mbps.

You will not be able to use your Netgear unless it can be flashed with DD-WRT or other 3rd party firmware. Netgear are not interested in making their routers compatible with Sky.

Very few have reported that the engineer left the existing filtered plate in place. If he fits a VDSL plate he will need the original faceplate. I don't know if they carry spares of these, so have yours handy, if you have it.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

1. The Sagem 2504N is the main router which is currently being supplied to Sky Fibre customers. Some are being supplied the Sky Hub SR101 instead, but this is limited
      2. The Netgear DGN3500 is an ADSL router and not able to be the main router on any Fibre or Cable connection. You can piggyback this router on to the Sky router though
      3. Remove your ADSLNation filtered faceplate as the BTO Engineer will need to fit the VDSL socket. If you do actually mean the whole Master Socket, then he will likely change it for a BTO NTE5 Socket

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

heyho is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0113
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Cheers for the replies. That makes it clearer.

Shame about the DGN3500, I like it but I also like the idea of circa 40mb/s a lot more than my current 2.9mb/s

- - - Updated - - -

Cheers for the replies. That makes it clearer.

Shame about the DGN3500, I like it but I also like the idea of circa 40mb/s a lot more than my current 2.9mb/s

By the way I notice third party firmware updates for this router that unhide stuff that is locked out by Sky. Ha sanyone flashed their router with he 3d party firmware and is it benficial

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by heyho View Post
      By the way I notice third party firmware updates for this router that unhide stuff that is locked out by Sky. Ha sanyone flashed their router with he 3d party firmware and is it benficial
      Not for the Sagem 2304n, Sagem 2504N or Sky Hub SR101.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

JeDuK is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Wellingborough
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks

i had a ADSLNation faceplate fitted when bt guy turned up, and he changed it for a new one, problem is i didnt noticed untill he left, that he put it in his toolbox and ran off with it .

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JeDuK View Post
      i had a ADSLNation faceplate fitted when bt guy turned up, and he changed it for a new one, problem is i didnt noticed untill he left, that he put it in his toolbox and ran off with it .
      That probably means they carry new standard faceplates to fit when required.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

rich1068 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SLBH
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: No Sky!
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JeDuK View Post
      You know I've just bloody realised that too!

Thanks

Whilst I am not suggesting that the BTO Engineers are doing so, there is a roaring trade for filtered faceplates on eBay.
      gymno likes this.