Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Like Tree2Likes

In an FTTP area with a Sky enabled exchange but unable to get Sky Fibre?

This is a discussion on In an FTTP area with a Sky enabled exchange but unable to get Sky Fibre? within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I live in an FTTP area (Milton Keynes) where OpenReach have been trialling FTTP for over 1 year now. Been ...

AndyHCZ is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2304n
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

In an FTTP area with a Sky enabled exchange but unable to get Sky Fibre?

I live in an FTTP area (Milton Keynes) where OpenReach have been trialling FTTP for over 1 year now.

Been trying to order Sky's fibre service since it was first launched, but without any success.

The Fibre team are particularly unhelpful, telling me things like my cabinet is not fibre enabled (BT are trialling 330 mb/s fibre in my area).

Does anyone have any experience of getting Sky's fibre service in FTTP areas? I wonder if OpenReach are not allowing FTTC connections to areas that are FTTP enabled? I have been told though that ISPs can still offer FTTC speeds/service on a FTTP line as the exchange equipment etc. is the same.

I could join BT Infinity on their 100mb service for 35 a month, but would like to stick with Sky. Just frustrating that I am missing out on up to 50x speeds!

2. Advertisement
      richone54 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: watford
      Broadband ISP: Virgin
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Re: In an FTTP area with a Sky enabled exchange but unable to get Sky Fibre?

Just been reading some other forums with others also in the same position as you, you may just have to wait for sky to update there system or go for BT.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by richone54 View Post
      Just been reading some other forums with others also in the same position as you, you may just have to wait for sky to update there system or go for BT.
      It's a bit annoying really.

I never joined the FTTP trials with other ISPs because I kept getting told Sky would be launching fibre soon.

Now Sky have launched Fibre, I can't get it with them!

I get really irritated talking to the Fibre team. I would like one point of contact who 1) understands fibre 2) is able to talk to OpenReach. Seems too much to hope for though talking to Sky.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Sky are trialling FTTP in the South Harrow area.

Their current products are based upon the FTTC technology and they haven't yet launched a FTTP based product.

I hope that this does change soon as there will also be many members who may consider getting FTTP-On-Demand installed.

What you may be interested in discussing with the Fibre team is the possibility of getting an FTTP connection that is capped to 80/20. BTO has offered this with some people in some areas before now where FTTP was too expensive for the people concerned. However if their systems do not show that Fibre is available then they may be unable to progress this with you.

Of course it may be listed as 'unavailable' as FTTP is in a trial state where you are.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Exchange:
      Thanks

@ Scrubbie

Thanks - a capped FTTP connection is basically what I want. But this seems a step too much for the standard Fibre team you speak to when you call Sky (most don't know what FTTP even is!).

It would work well for Sky as there are no installation costs (OpenReach are waiving these as it is still a trial product) and they could also test higher speeds if or when FTTP is rolled out.

Do you have any contacts at Sky or know anyone I should be speaking to? Raising it with the Sky Fibre team doesn't seem to be getting me too far at present. I am waiting on OpenReach to get back to me though. A lot of the trialist ISPs are no longer taken new customers in my area so I am only left with BT Infinity at the moment but that will be complicated as I am tied in with Sky for another 4 months with their line rental deal I got last year.

Thanks

If other ISPs are no longer taking new customers, then it suggests that it may be harder for Sky who aren't taking part in the trials in the Milton Keynes area to the best of my knowledge. Things like this tend to be open to specific ISPs who have signed up wit BTO to take part.

As previously mentioned, Sky is already doing a trial in South Harrow. This start July/August 2011. There were some initial posts on this topic, but since then things have been silent.

It would be lovely to know when, rather than if, Sky will be adopting the technology. There is the issue of the router to include in this too. The Sky Hub SR101 would be unsuitable as it only supports a 100mb LAN and 144,b/s WiFi. From what I have learnt about the SR101 I suspect that this next router may be in development but there is nothing publicly available on this to share.

BTO are launching the 330/30 FTTP product next year. Perhaps Sky will be in a position to launch a new product based upon this then.

P.S.

Scrubbie =
      Scubbie =

I hope that helps
      Isitme and craig.millfields like this.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post

P.S.

Scrubbie =
      Scubbie =

I hope that helps
      Apologies! Not a good typo by me!

I think the trials are still continuing in MK, it is just the two other ISPs have quite a few users already.

I just need to keep pestering away at Sky as they will have to offer some form of FTTP service eventually. I think there are a couple of new housing sites being constructed here which are fibre only and part of another BT trial.

Just seem to be caught in the "computer says no" phase with the normal fibre team at present.

Thanks

No problem. Unfortunately it is a waiting game at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyHCZ View Post
      Apologies! Not a good typo by me!
      Not the first

Exchange:
      Thanks

Just an update...

Had FTTP installed with another ISP. Very impressed with how it all works - low pings, ridiculously fast downloads and no lag.

Pinging www.bbc.net.uk [212.58.244.71] with 32 bytes of data:
      Reply from 212.58.244.71: bytes=32 time=5ms TTL=55
      Reply from 212.58.244.71: bytes=32 time=4ms TTL=55
      Ping statistics for 212.58.244.71:
      Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
      Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
      Minimum = 4ms, Maximum = 5ms, Average = 4ms

I do hope Sky get their act together and take up FTTP. The costs for FTTC and FTTP with BT Wholesale are virtually the same. But FTTP opens up a whole new world of possibilities for Sky given the speeds these lines are capable of (one fibre strand can do up to 10 Gbit / and BT's fibre cable has four individual fibre strands!)

A bit disappointed none of the management in fibre/executive office staff at Sky have failed to get back to me on why they cannot offer FTTP. They were apparently waiting for an answer from BT.

Hopefully before I end up on a fixed contract next year, Sky will finally have FTTP on offer.

Thanks

When Sky does launch an FTTP product they will also need to have another new router as the Sky Hub SR101 could not support speeds above 100mb. In reality I have pushed it as high as I could with my current setup and only managed a throughput of ~80mb/s, which is normal for a 100mb LAN.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast