Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Like Tree2Likes

In an FTTP area with a Sky enabled exchange but unable to get Sky Fibre?

This is a discussion on In an FTTP area with a Sky enabled exchange but unable to get Sky Fibre? within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I realise that Fibre is much more compact than copper and that the data rates are hugely better. I was ...

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Re: In an FTTP area with a Sky enabled exchange but unable to get Sky Fibre?

I realise that Fibre is much more compact than copper and that the data rates are hugely better. I was thinking that perhaps with existing cable taking 10 connections, that much of the infrastructure would be designed in this manner and perhaps that it would be easier to manufacture the trunk Fibre cable to carry 10 connections.

The issue of loosing the voice side is an important safety concern. Should the power go and someone need to dial 999, then this would be why there is the battery. As for incorporating it within the ONT, nice idea so long as it is an easy component to replace. Battery technology still has a long way to go before we can expect it to last forever.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

2. Advertisement
      andrewjr is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: NDSIT
      Broadband ISP: NOWTV Super Fibre
      Router: Ubiquiti Unifi
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AndyHCZ View Post
      Due to the small size of the fibre tubing, there can run more FTTP connections. I think the fibre splitter can carry up to 220 homes (or something like that), so BT would survey the area and interest before deciding what to put in. I cannot stress how tiny the fibre is though - I think it's 0.45mm according to the splicing tool the engineer was using. It looked like a human hair and the speeds such a small thing can carry is beyond belief.
      the 2 parts of a single unprotected strand of singlemode fibre is only 125Ám (micrometers) which is 0.125mm. i'm not sure what type of cable FTTC/P uses.
      AirPort Extreme + Sky Fibre Guide | Mac OSX Automator for xDSL stats for HG612 & Vigor 130

Hauwei Cab > VMG1312-B10A > RT-86U Merlin | 58301/12298

jdlk is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Folkestone
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagemcom 2304n
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Resurrecting an old thread, I know, but I just wanted to see if there was any update on Sky's position on FTTP.

I contacted Openreach this week re FTTC/P in my area and found out that they would be finishing work on the exchange (Folkestone) this month. My area will be FTTP only.

I currently use Sky ADSL and have been happy with the service, but obviously FTTP is enticing. Is there any hope of a Sky FTTP service in the foreseeable future?

Thanks

It is close to the 1st Anniversary of when SFU was launched. Many of us are hoping for some news from Sky, but presently there isn't anything in the wind.

Sky has had an FTTP trial in South Harrow and have managed to keep any news of the trial since then very quiet.

For you personally there is some good news surrounding this. The installation costs are significantly more in areas which are FTTC if someone wants to get FTTP-On-Demand. Where you are the installation costs will be a lot more palatable.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

jdlk is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Folkestone
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagemcom 2304n
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Thanks for the response. The implementation of FTTP seems very odd indeed.

As I understand it, there are very few "FTTP only" areas (I read elsewhere that there are less than 150k FTTP homes around the UK, compared to 13 million FTTC), so the payback on offering any service is limited. The policy seems to be: "let's develop the best possible product, but offer it in so few areas that it is hardly worthwhile for companies to offer a service".

Judging by reports in other forums, some people in "FTTP only" areas have been waiting a long time without the offer of a service from any ISP, and even when an FTTP service is available, front-line ISP staff don't know about it because it's such a niche product.

It's beginning to look as if we could face the ridiculous situation where those people "lucky" enough to live in FTTP areas are stuck on ADSL.

Thanks

There is a big launch due at the end of this month for FTTP-On-demand. You may well find that there will be something more suitable available after this time.

Some ISPs will offer an 80/20 product on the FTTP service at the moment.

FTTP is the way forward. Many see the FTTC solution as a stepping stone to FTTP.

simon194 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: NDHAS
      Router: Sky Q Hub with Billion 8800NL in bridge mode
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      There is a big launch due at the end of this month for FTTP-On-demand. You may well find that there will be something more suitable available after this time.

Some ISPs will offer an 80/20 product on the FTTP service at the moment.

FTTP is the way forward. Many see the FTTC solution as a stepping stone to FTTP.
      I was under the impression that Openreach were only going to offer 330/30 initially on FTTPoD. I might get a quote when it launches as I'm only about 40m from an aggregation node.

Thanks

There is an announcement due at the end of this month regarding FTTP On Demand.

FTTP can be supplied at different speeds, according to budget.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123