Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

I expect this has been answered before but....

This is a discussion on I expect this has been answered before but.... within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; my line is now swtiched from BT to Sky and I have just ordered fibre Pro due for installation on ...

Bazookajoe is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

I expect this has been answered before but....

my line is now swtiched from BT to Sky and I have just ordered fibre Pro due for installation on the 26th October.Can anyone tell me how obliging the openreach engineers are. My master socket is in a lousy place with no power sockets in the dining room. My office has a slave phone socket that was piped in from the master, with cabling around the outside of the house, through the garage and in to my office. In the office, I have piping running along the wall that also accomodates 12 power sockets as well as the slave telephone socket and that where i will need the router and modem installed. If I dose the engineer up with coffee and cookies will he make my slave socket the master or at the very least, cable around the house following the current connection to the slave socket.If he cant then I will have to send him away.

2. Advertisement
      rich1068 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SLBH
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: No Sky!
      Thanks

Re: I expect this has been answered before but....

I had two engineers call yesterday for my installation, one was training up the other. They were both very pleasant and were keen to answer any questions I had but I really do doubt they would have done what you're asking. I got the impression they were on a fairly tight schedule with a time allowance for each job.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,242 Times in 2,105 Posts

Re: I expect this has been answered before but....

Personally I would look at how you can get a suitable power socket to where the Master Socket is or look to move the Master Socket a shorter distance.

The BTO Modem can be placed there.

I would then run an Ethernet cable (ensure that outdoor cable is used if following the same route as the telephone line) from the BTO Modem to the Office and connect that directly to the router.

The Ethernet cable can be up to 100m long, provided that there are no sharp bends.

If you want to make it look tidy, simply fit a wall socket for the Ethernet cable in both the lounge and the Office, using a shorted Ethernet Cable at each end.

Cat 5e would be my minimum choice as it supports up to 1Gbit connection speeds and would be likely to stay ahead of technology for a little longer. Cat 6 would be a lot more expensive, but supports up to 10Gbit speeds.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.