Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

3rd Party Router ok but problem with connecting others. Help!

This is a discussion on 3rd Party Router ok but problem with connecting others. Help! within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi all, I'm hoping there is someone with more knowledge than me (not difficult) who can maybe assist in why ...

turboslippers is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Vange
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

3rd Party Router ok but problem with connecting others. Help!

Hi all, I'm hoping there is someone with more knowledge than me (not difficult) who can maybe assist in why my network isn't working the way it should.

The setup USED to be the usual SAGEMCOM (current model) router plugged into the BT box in the house. I then had two ethernet cables going off to two other routers in the annexe and the summer house. All had their own SSID's and all could access the internet fine but I had issues with port forwarding and seeing my media from one PC to the TV and PS3 in the annexe etc.

So, following the sticky link (ta Apache14!) I replaced the indoor router with a Netgear WNDR3400 running DD-WRT. This setup absolutely fine and internet works indoors (router 1) fine. Next, I connected a 2nd router LAN-LAN with DHCP turned off on the 2nd router, SSID set to same as router 1 and IP set to one above the indoor router. This also works fine and internet is seemless between indoors and the annexe.

I now move to the summer house/office where my PC is and try to copy exactly what I have done for router number 2 in here i.e connect back to router 1. This does not work and, whilst it connects, I get various issues such as zero upload or horrendous lag. Basically, it don't work. I've tried resetting the router and just connecting to internet port but, again, something isn't right. I've swapped router 2 and 3 to rule out the router and they both work in the annexe but not out here. If I take a lead from the ethernet socket on the wall I can connect into my laptop absolutely fine (am using it now). It's the moment I introduce a router it doesn't work. In theory shouldn't it work just as router number 2 does? The only difference is that router number 2 is connected to router one directly by a 25m cable but the summer house has a 50m cable going to an ethernet port on the wall. I then connect the third router to this port via a 1m patch cable. That said, with the initial setup I never had any issue the summer house setup which suggests that I didn't do something dumb like get the wires the wrong way round when I wired the socket?

Is there some issue with having two routers connected back to the cloned primary router?

Any help appreciated as I'm out of my depth here!

Regards
      Ben

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Re: 3rd Party Router ok but problem with connecting others. Help!

There should not be a problem if the 2 remote routers have different IP addresses and these are reserved in the main router's Address Reservation list. If you don't reserve them, you are likely to get IP conflicts.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      There should not be a problem if the 2 remote routers have different IP addresses and these are reserved in the main router's Address Reservation list. If you don't reserve them, you are likely to get IP conflicts.

Ta for taking the time to reply. Currently the main router is enabled as DHCP and assigning from 192.168.1.100. If I look at all the iPads , iPhones etc they are connected from this e.g 192.168.1.122. Router 2 is definitely connected to 192.168.1.2 but I haven't reserved it via router number 1?
      I do recall when trying one of the routers in the summerhouse it didn't like 192.168.1.3 and stuck it on 10.0.0.1 instead?
      So I need to reserve .2 and .3 from dd-wrt in router 1? I use the mac address of router number 2 and 3?

Ben

Thanks

So I need to reserve .2 and .3 from dd-wrt in router 1? I use the mac address of router number 2 and 3?
      I would say yes.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      I would say yes.
      This is where is goes wrong for me lol. No prob on the dd-wrt end on router number one but when I go to router 3 and put in 192.168.1.3 I either get 'WAN IP subnet clash' or it tells me I have to manually change my computer ip manually

Eh??

Thanks

Try assigning it 192.168.1.200.

Just one point, you are plugging into the ethernet port and not the WAN port? If you are not, try plugging the 'slave' routers into an ethernet port. Using the WAN port requires slightly different settings.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Thanks

For the 2nd router, I connected it back to the main one via the WAN port, set it up by turning off DHCP and then switched the cable over to the ethernet port. Lastnight when I reset router number 3 back to factory I was running to the WAN port so will try tonight going straight ethernet/ethernet.

Ta again for the help. I suppose another thing I could check is turn off router 2 and then try router 3? If router 2 works fine when it's the only slave then maybe 3 will...at least then this proves/disproves it's linked to the number of routers..

Ben

Thanks

I think you will find if you connect them both by ethernet and disable their DHCP servers, it will work OK. If you have enough available addresses, I don't think there is any limit to the number of routers you can connect in this way.

TomD

Useful Utilites

andrewjr is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: NDSIT
      Broadband ISP: NOWTV Super Fibre
      Router: Ubiquiti Unifi
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

my advice, log in to both the slave routers and change their change their LAN ip addresses to something OUT of the range of DHCP addresses on the sky router.

i.e sky router 192.168.0.1 (default) with DHCP address range set at 192.168.0.100 to 192.168.0.200

slave 2 set to 192.168.0.2 DHCP turned off

slave 3 set to 192.168.0.3 DHCP turned off

make sure that the subnet masks off all the routers are the same i.e 255.255.255.0

once you have done this jot down the LAN MAC's of the slave routers and reserve their addresses on the sky router
      AirPort Extreme + Sky Fibre Guide | Mac OSX Automator for xDSL stats for HG612 & Vigor 130

Hauwei Cab > VMG1312-B10A > RT-86U Merlin | 58301/12298

Thanks

i.e sky router 192.168.0.1 (default)
      That would be correct if he were using a Sky router, but he is not. I think his router has a different address.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast