Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

3rd Party Router ok but problem with connecting others. Help!

This is a discussion on 3rd Party Router ok but problem with connecting others. Help! within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by Isitme That would be correct if he were using a Sky router, but he is not. I ...

andrewjr is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: NDSIT
      Broadband ISP: NOWTV Super Fibre
      Router: Ubiquiti Unifi
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

Re: 3rd Party Router ok but problem with connecting others. Help!

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      That would be correct if he were using a Sky router, but he is not. I think his router has a different address.
      ah, looking at his previous post then i would assume that his DD-WRT routers ip address would be 192.168.1.1. if so just amend the ip's in my post above to reflect.

i.e DD-WRT 192.168.1.1 (or whatever ip address you have assigned) with DHCP address range set at 192.168.1.100 to 192.168.1.200

slave 2 set to 192.168.1.2 DHCP turned off

slave 3 set to 192.168.1.3 DHCP turned off
      AirPort Extreme + Sky Fibre Guide | Mac OSX Automator for xDSL stats for HG612 & Vigor 130

Hauwei Cab > VMG1312-B10A > RT-86U Merlin | 58301/12298

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

He should be OK if he connects to an ethernet port, the WAN connection need a bit more setting up.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

turboslippers is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Vange
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      He should be OK if he connects to an ethernet port, the WAN connection need a bit more setting up.
      Thanks for the continued effort. Yes, my primary router is setup with DD-WRT with IP 192.168.1.1. Router number 2 is connected no problem on 192.168.1.2 but it I'm still scratching my head with router number 3. I did a 30-30-30 reset and started again plugging the laptop into the router on ethernet port and nothing else.

First attempt...I get the below. There is nothing plugged into WAN connection so not sure why this is?

are these settings correct then?

Also get this sometimes

I understand now that once you update with the above the router will go offline and you won't be able to access until the internet connection is plugged into another ethernet port, is that correct? Either way...it still doesn't like something..

regards
      Ben

andrewjr is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: NDSIT
      Broadband ISP: NOWTV Super Fibre
      Router: Ubiquiti Unifi
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

what you have done there seems correct. in theory all you should need to do now is connect an ethernet cable from one of the ports on the DD-WRT router to the WAN port of the netgear
      AirPort Extreme + Sky Fibre Guide | Mac OSX Automator for xDSL stats for HG612 & Vigor 130

Hauwei Cab > VMG1312-B10A > RT-86U Merlin | 58301/12298

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by andrewjr View Post
      what you have done there seems correct. in theory all you should need to do now is connect an ethernet cable from one of the ports on the DD-WRT router to the WAN port of the netgear
      In theory yup lol! Next I'm going to go for the full reset but then connect the router back via a 1m known working lead in the house. And then try setting it up with the 2nd router disconnected to see if something odd happeneing there...

thanks
      Ben

Thanks

Ok, I think I'm getting somewhere here (slowly). As I can't get it to work properly lets go back to basics and try and run the router out of the box with DHCP on. So I connect router number 3 to router number 1 in the house using a 1m cat5e cable (WAN port). Then I plug my laptop into router number 3 via ethernet and it works fine.
      I should therefore be able to walk this router down to the summer house, plug into the ethernet port (which is plugged back to router 1) and it should work just as it did. It doesn't BUT, as usual, when I connect my laptop straight into the ethernet port it works fine.
      I've had an issue also with my PC not connecting properly via the ethernet port since reinstalling and was just using wifi. A bit of googling and someone had a similar issue and found that in the properties for his Realtek PCIe controller the speed and duplex setting of 'auto' was hindering his connection. I changed mine down to 10Mbps and, bingo, my PC now connects direct to the ethernet port and to the internet.
      Sooo...could it be a similar issue on the netgear router? i.e the 50m cable is only Cat5 and not 5e/6 and router is assuming a gigabit connection or something? Will have a look...

regards
      Ben

Thanks

Since you had your problem I have added another router into my network, just to check that it will work with 2 slave routers. It works perfectly. I have it set up as follows-
      Main Netgear router - 192.168.0.1 - SN 255.255.255.0.- DHCP range- 192.168.0.2-254 - Wireless ON
      Dlink 635-(non-ADSL)- 192.168.0.254-SN 255.255.255.0- DHCP OFF- Wireless ON
      Sagem(ex-Sky) - 192.168.0.200-SN255.255.255.0.-DHCP OFF- Wireless ON.

This is a capture of my Attached Devices at the moment-

The Linksys(7) is my Samknows checker router which is connected by ethernet to the Main router. Connected to that are my NAS(4), main PC(2), Dlink(254) router and Sagem(200) router.
      Anytime+(5) and SonyTV(8) are connected to the Dlink, as is my Media PC(6) which is not on at the moment.
      Dellone(10), my #2PC is connected to the Sagem(200)
      My iPad(3) is connected by wireless to my Dlink(254)
      My wife's phone, Android(9) is connected to the Sagem.
      The Sagem is connected by a 10m ethernet cable and the Dlink with a 30m one.

The only thing I can think of is your ethernet cable is not performing properly, you should not have to come down to 10mbps to get a connection. Try changing this to 100mbps Full Duplex if it will not work with Auto. If it does not work at 100, it definitely points at the cable as the source of your problems. Replace this with a good quality Cat5e or Cat 6 and that should get rid of your headache.
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 3rd Party Router ok but problem with connecting others. Help!-attd.jpg  

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

buscus27 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Longbenton
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks

Isitme Do you use same SSID in your setup across all routers?

Thanks

No, they are all named differently. I believe if you want to 'roam' across your network they should all be the same.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12