Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Fibre activation date gone

This is a discussion on Fibre activation date gone within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; My exchange was due to be activated today. The fibre cabinet was placed at the end of my street about ...

pau1777 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Ashton in Makerfield
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Fibre activation date gone

My exchange was due to be activated today.
      The fibre cabinet was placed at the end of my street about 8 weeks ago, all the road was dug up and black cables put in.
      The workmen left about 7 weeks ago and I have not seen them since.
      On the BTO site the postcode checker said I would be able to get fibre from 30th September with a download speed of 56.5meg.

I contacted BT last week who said that I needed to wait until today and contact them again. I have checked on the BTO site, it says my exchange is accepting orders, but when I check on my postcode there is now no mention of fibre at all no date pushed back nothing, just I'm unlikely to get broadband. My connection is a 512k -800k connection due to the distance from the exchange.
      As you can imagine I want to upgrade as soon as possible due to the very poor connection I get.
      Is there any way I can tell when I'm going to finally get a good broadband connection, or is it that I'm destined to have 512k forever!!!!

- - - Updated - - -

Also I have checked the sky website.
      When I put my details in it says that my phone is not compatable with sky talk or broadband, even though I have both sky talk abd broadband!!!!!

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts
      Sadly it is a guessing game. There was a leaked document from BTO but that is now dared and no good for that you want.

Just keep an eye out for any activity and see what happens.

As for Sky's checker, this is a known issue. Use you home address instead to check things. Once it is live, call Sky.

Sent from my Galaxy SII using Forum Runner

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Thanks

Re: Fibre activation date gone

Thanks for the reply!
      I have been looking for any BT vans in the area but sadly none have turned up! Saying that all the new fibre cabinets have been in place for some time and have had all holes filled in etc!
      The openreach feed on twitter says my exchange was taking orders 2 weeks ago, but I dont know anyone who has managed to place an order yet.
      Just as you say have to keep trying. Its so frustrating though that BTO can not give any firm answers!!

Thanks

Well if it is any consolation, my window starts now. The original date for my exchange was Sept '12 but this changed last June to Dec '12. So I shall also have to join the group of people who insist on watching out for some building firm putting concrete bases next to the existing green street cabinets and then for the BTO vans to be parked next to the new cabinets and so on.

In reality I know that they could start at any time but that they may not start until 2014, or is that a little too soon?

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

rjpearce is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pau1777 View Post
      My exchange was due to be activated today.
      The fibre cabinet was placed at the end of my street about 8 weeks ago, all the road was dug up and black cables put in.
      The workmen left about 7 weeks ago and I have not seen them since.
      On the BTO site the postcode checker said I would be able to get fibre from 30th September with a download speed of 56.5meg....
      You're not the only one, I've had the exact same thing happen to me.
      The BT Wholesale checker said my cabinet had a planned FTTC activation date of 30th Sept. But come 30th Sept the date and any mention of FTTC has disapeered.
      I also had a new fibre cabinet put at the end of the street about 8 weeks ago.

I suspect there is something in the checker that removes information if the date has past, we'll just have to keep checking.

Have you noticed any new trenches between the old cabinet and new cabinet? (I noticed this in the last 2 weeks), can't be too much longer to wait!
      Last edited by rjpearce; 30-09-12 at 01:54 PM. Reason: typo

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rjpearce View Post
      You're not the only one, I've had the exact same thing happen to me.
      The BT Wholesale checker said my cabinet had a planned FTTC activation date of 30th Sept. But come 30th Sept the date and any mention of FTTC has disapeered.
      I also had a new fibre cabinet put at the end of the street about 8 weeks ago.

I suspect there is something in the checker that removes information if the date has past, we'll just have to keep checking.

Have you noticed any new trenches between the old cabinet and new cabinet? (I noticed this in the last 2 weeks), can't be too much longer to wait!
      Hi, Looks like I am not the only one then!!
      All trenches were dug and filled in about 7-8 weeks ago. The fibre cabinet is about 20m away from the old cabinet.
      There are so many fibre cabinets around the local area now. I have been told that half of our estate will not be connected to fibre just yet though as there are old cabinets that have no new ones near them.
      I would just like a date after years of painfully slow broadband there is now light at the end of the tunnel!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pau1777 View Post
      ...I would just like a date after years of painfully slow broadband there is now light at the end of the tunnel!
      Due to budgetary cuts, the light at the end of the tunnel was turned off.

Don't worry for now. BTO are working to roll out Fibre across the country. The date when you will be able to get it is much sooner than many others.

rjpearce is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      Don't worry for now. BTO are working to roll out Fibre across the country. The date when you will be able to get it is much sooner than many others.
      Very good point!
      Most of my area was planned to be rolled out as part of Phase 6a, around Xmas they bumped 50% of the cabinets to Phase 9a. Which is hopefully nearly done now.

pau1777, keep us posted I will also be keeping an eye on the availability checker.

Thanks

Will do my friend.
      Another phone call to BT may be in order!!!

Thanks

enigma27 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Vigor 130+Pfsense
      Sky TV: SKYQ
      Thanks

To be honest guys it seems to me that you have been suckered into dates that never are actually true.

Your exchange may well be enabled but your cab may have not been switched on...

Also 30th Sep date on the BTO wholesale checker is just a holding date for activation.. it changes every quarter as I had confirmed by a BTO member in an email last week. Unless it says anything other than the end day of Mar, Jun, Sep or Dec then its not actually a go live date.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast