Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Like Tree1Likes

Very disappointed with Sky fibre - No connection

This is a discussion on Very disappointed with Sky fibre - No connection within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by simon194 Not in the cabinet but there is at the exchange. It wouldn't be the first time ...

dragon2611 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: AAISP + Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: N/A
      Thanks

Re: Very disappointed with Sky fibre - No connection

Quote Originally Posted by simon194 View Post
      Not in the cabinet but there is at the exchange. It wouldn't be the first time they've have forgotten to do the connection at the exchange.
      That would be either a 1 or 10Gig trunk link between the openreach network and skys LLU kit if that wasn't connected it would be rather noticeable ;-)

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

That would be either a 1 or 10Gig trunk link between the openreach network and skys LLU kit if that wasn't connected it would be rather noticeable ;-)
      Not if it was connected to the BTI board, which it may be by default.

Tip - Miss out the - in your smillies and they will work

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Not if it was connected to the BTI board, which it may be by default.

Tip - Miss out the - in your smillies and they will work
      Sorry I don't get it

If the 1 Gig/ 10Gig feed connecting the Openreach network to the Sky network wasn't working due to being disconnected or mis-configured it would be rather obvious on the grounds no Sky customers on that exchange would have a working FTTC service.

I prefer ;-) to the emoticon this board has mapped to

Thanks

If the 1 Gig/ 10Gig feed connecting the Openreach network to the Sky network wasn't working due to being disconnected or mis-configured it would be rather obvious on the grounds no Sky customers on that exchange would have a working FTTC service.
      Do you think the engineer makes the connection in the cabinet and the fibre knows it should be going into the Sky pipe with no further attention? It goes to the exchange as a 'generic' connection and there goes into a handover node. From there it goes to the various ISP's control panels. If it is tied into the wrong CP, a failure to authenticate will result. One connection could be incorrectly routed without effecting anyone else.:-p

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Do you think the engineer makes the connection in the cabinet and the fibre knows it should be going into the Sky pipe with no further attention? It goes to the exchange as a 'generic' connection and there goes into a handover node. From there it goes to the various ISP's control panels. If it is tied into the wrong CP, a failure to authenticate will result. One connection could be incorrectly routed without effecting anyone else.:-p
      The fibre itself doesn't know as it's just a physical transmission medium but the DSLAM/MSAN (Or whatever they're calling them this week I'm still going to call them a DSLAM for now.) will know.

The Port on the DSLAM in the cabinet will have been configured to egress on the correct Vlan for that customer which will then route to the interconnect between Sky and BT.

So the problem is unlikely to be a physical connection issue in the exchange as unlike the ADSL there isn't a physical cross connect at the exchange for each individual subscriber (Well technically there actually is for the phone side of things but seeing as we're talking purely the broadband here it's largely irrelevant) It could however have been a misconfiguration of either the Port in the DSLAM or any other piece of network kit in the path between the End user and the Sky network.

Thanks

It could however have been a misconfiguration of either the Port in the DSLAM or any other piece of network kit in the path between the End user and the Sky network.
      Isn't this what I said in the first place? From what I have read on the forum, some engineers are not even aware that the connection is for Sky until they get to the premises. Apparently there is/was* no indication on the work sheet as to who the ISP is. Surely it is possible the engineer set it up for BTI instead of Sky? It would not be the first time a BTO engineer made a mistake to Sky's detriment.

* I say is/was as this may have changed now.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Exchange:
      Thanks

Isn't this what I said in the first place? From what I have read on the forum, some engineers are not even aware that the connection is for Sky until they get to the premises. Apparently there is/was* no indication on the work sheet as to who the ISP is. Surely it is possible the engineer set it up for BTI instead of Sky? It would not be the first time a BTO engineer made a mistake to Sky's detriment.

* I say is/was as this may have changed now.

Nope because it won't be the Openreach engineer who visits the house that does that config it will be done centrally, probably by an automated provisioning system, the Engineer to does the install will litreally be told plug this line into port X on card Y and that's probably all they're told.

Thanks

the Engineer to does the install will litreally be told plug this line into port X on card Y and that's probably all they're told.
      Now you are saying the engineer can't make a mistake and plug into the wrong port/card.

I think we have taken up enough of this thread with what is pure conjecture, so this will be my last response.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Exchange:
      Thanks

Now you are saying the engineer can't make a mistake and plug into the wrong port/card.

I think we have taken up enough of this thread with what is pure conjecture, so this will be my last response.
      That could have been the case had it not been initially working fine when it was first installed but since the service was working fine for a while then stopped working it's unlikely

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12