Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Low Fibre Speed

This is a discussion on Low Fibre Speed within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I have posted on this subject before but it really has not resolved itself. My BT modem is an ECI ...

tomthered is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irlam
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Low Fibre Speed

I have posted on this subject before but it really has not resolved itself. My BT modem is an ECI model but I also have a hacked Huawei 612 which shows the attainable speed. When I first had this installed in June 2012 the speed was brilliant and it stayed connected without loss for nearly five weeks, then the modem developed a fault and was eventually replaced as the cause of the problem.

Since then they have reset the DLM twice but it always seems to drop, last time it dropped as low as 19mb down but this time I am down to 15.63 mb. My inital pings were only 15ms but now never go down below 30ms.

When the engineer first tested the line in June he said it was capable of 33mb and the attainable was shown as 36mb. The BT engineer last Wednesday said it would only give 28mb but as my estimate on connection was 26.4mb I would be pleased with even that. The engineer also said my line was perfect with no faults, which does not explain why the DLM is capping the line at such a low connection.

I have spoken with Sky CS and just before my holiday from 9 Sept 2012 it had dropped to 22.4mb and they told me that was as low as it would be. Well I came back after 2 weeks to find it had dropped to 18mb and after a day or so its now capped at 16mb.

Sky have arranged an engineer to revisit as they say he should have arranged a pass back to Openreach as there is clearly a problem. My arguement is the line was, and is, perfect. It tests well and maintain 30mb down for 5 weeks, so why such a low speed?

The tale turns now as when I initially contacted them one of their teccy guys mailed me personally on the quiet and advised that I needed the REIN team as there was electronic interference shown by the profile being affected at night till the morning suggesting a possible street lamp switching on causing thsi issue.

Have tried asking Sky to investigate this but no joy and I know i am speaking to tier 2 staff when I phone for the fibre team. Can anyone suggest a possible solution? My line is perfect and if it was capped at 30mb down I know it would maintain that for ever!! When I have looked at the line stats the SNR does seem high but if the line is perfect why would that be?

The speeds shown in my sig show what it was capable of Is there a way of artificially keeping the speed at 28mb over riding the DLM or turn it off?
      Last edited by tomthered; 28-09-12 at 09:50 PM.

2. Advertisement
      Mystic Eddy is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange:
      Router: Apple AirPort ac Time Capsule
      Thanks

Re: Low Fibre Speed

If you watch the SNR in the evening, it should drop a lot if REIN is present.
      I Used To Have An Open Mind, But My Brain Kept Falling Out

Thanks

How do you mean drop a lot? Do you mean it will go below 8.4db or higher or do you mean the speed would drop? What is the solution if REIN is present and is it feasible to artificially control the DLM as the only issue it causes is a drop in my speed. Once connected the line and its behaviour is fine!

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

You could try running Routerstats Lite and see if you can pin down when the problem if occurring. - RouterStats -Lite

If you find that it is happening during the night when you are not using the connection you could put the modem on a timer to switch it off during this period. Hopefully DLM would not have a problem with this, and leave your line alone.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

mattylad is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LCROSS
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks

Please delete this post.
      Last edited by mattylad; 30-09-12 at 10:47 AM.

Thanks

Thanks for that Isitme, however given the SNR is provided by the modem will it even show that information? I have the prog loaded and will leave to run overnight. At the moment the SNR is showing as 0, so does that mean it wont work? I know the hacked Huawei provided this info but I don't want to give them reason to blame something else. At times you feel like baging your head against a wall cos you know there is a problem but they don't seem to appreciate it.

My previous ISP Bethere were fantastic and took the approach that the customer was always right and the few times I spoke to their tech support. With Sky you don't even have that option so cannot convey the urgency of such a problem.

I look at it that if I got 30mb download for 5 weeks with no issues, why has it suddenly reduced to such an extent. The main training period for the DLM is 2 weeks, surely if the line is fine it should stay like that. At the end of the day BT only manage the fibre / network stuff on behalf of Sky, so Sky give the instructions. You also get engineers who do their bit, but don't pass it on to the relevant department when there is clearly an issue that they cannot resolve but seem unwilling to pass it on to someone who can.

I don't hold out much hope for a resolution tomorrow when the BT engineer has to revisit!! However I do not believe that a fibre product should be providing me with ADSL speeds. My hacked modem shows an attainable of 36mb but I only get half that.

Thanks

Thanks for that Isitme, however given the SNR is provided by the modem will it even show that information?
      Sorry, I had not thought of that. The software would have to run through the modem and I doubt if that is possible. Someone with experience with the modem may know if it can be done.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Strange as it is showing some noise spikes on the noise page between 11.37 and 11.44am this morning, jumping up to 2db on three separate occasions. The rest of the time it is at zero. wonder what this could be?

EDIT just noticed another at 12.19pm again up to 2db. I also noticed a larger one to 4db at 11am so I wonder if this is the cause of the DLM capping the line?

dragon2611 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: AAISP + Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: N/A
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tomthered View Post
      How do you mean drop a lot? Do you mean it will go below 8.4db or higher or do you mean the speed would drop? What is the solution if REIN is present and is it feasible to artificially control the DLM as the only issue it causes is a drop in my speed. Once connected the line and its behaviour is fine!
      Find the source of the REIN and remove it...

Which is usually easier said than done.

REIN = Repetitive electrical impulse nose

OR

Random eletrical impulse noise

Depends who you ask but basically it's interference from something external to the circuit,
      I know with ADSL it's often possible to hear it on an AM radio as the ADSL frequencies overlap with AM radio, not sure about the VDSL frequencies are without looking it up.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tomthered View Post
      Strange as it is showing some noise spikes on the noise page between 11.37 and 11.44am this morning, jumping up to 2db on three separate occasions. The rest of the time it is at zero. wonder what this could be?

EDIT just noticed another at 12.19pm again up to 2db. I also noticed a larger one to 4db at 11am so I wonder if this is the cause of the DLM capping the line?
      I wonder if this is simply measuring the noise between your router and the modem?

TomD

Useful Utilites

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast