Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Like Tree1Likes
    • 1 Post By Skycarp

"Half Speed Update "

This is a discussion on "Half Speed Update " within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi All Just thought that I give an update regarding the "Half speed " problem that myself { and many ...

Skycarp is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Selby
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

"Half Speed Update "

Hi All
      Just thought that I give an update regarding the "Half speed " problem that myself { and many others} have had.
      Mine started on the day of install in June with speeds of approx 23/25 despite a sync of 39996.
      Over the last 4/6 weeks I have had home visits from Sky network guys and also have been involved in some testing/reporting as well.
      Well the GOOD news is since this Wednesday my throughput speeds "seem" to have got to where I believe they should be at around 35 down / 9up. and also my ping that was always in the 30/35 region is now as low as 7. File download tests are also coming down in half of the time that they used to do as well.
      I have been consistently achieving these "new" results over the last few days and feel that at long last the problems may have been resolved.
      There is still a few more tests etc to do, BUT these should be all done in the next few days so fingers crossed !!!!
      I will post again when Sky confirm that they are fully satisfied that the network problem is fully fixed.
      Anyone that had the same "half speed" problem may just want to do some new sppedtests to check out if they have had any changes for the better.
      A BIG thank you from me to the Sky network team for "sticking" with this one !!!!

2. Advertisement
      speedyrite is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: MYHGT
      Broadband ISP: NOW Broadband
      Router: NOW TV Hub Two
      Sky TV: NOW TV
      Thanks
      Blog Entries
      Would be interesting to know the cause of this problem - do you have any info about what that was or how it has been solved?

Was there a difficult to identify common factor?
      Was it an issue confined to certain local ir regional areas? Specific to certain exchanges? Specific to overhead or underground lines?

There were various theories when the problem was first noticed but nothing concrete was ever identified.
      ++ speedyrite ... powered by NOW Broadband from June 2018 ++
      (previously powered by Sky Broadband from July 2007)

Thanks

Re: "Half Speed Update "

Quote Originally Posted by speedyrite View Post
      Would be interesting to know the cause of this problem - do you have any info about what that was or how it has been solved?

Was there a difficult to identify common factor?
      Was it an issue confined to certain local ir regional areas? Specific to certain exchanges? Specific to overhead or underground lines?

There were various theories when the problem was first noticed but nothing concrete was ever identified.
      I have no detailed explanation at the moment although like you I am VERY interested to know exactly what the problem was.
      The "fix" that seems to have worked {touch wood} is a Network patch that has now been applied by Sky. THis patch has now been "picked up" by the selected routers and seems to have cured the problem.
      I will post back when i have some more details which should be in the next few days.
      Must say however that I am delighted to be now getting the throughput speeds that I am, as against the "half speed" ones that I have had since the install over 3 months ago !!!!!!!!!!!!
      speedyrite likes this.

Garion is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01704 - LCBIR
      Broadband ISP: Sky FUP & BT Infinity 2
      Router: PFSense 2.1 Beta 1
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

My install was back in June and I sync'd @ 79999 / 20000 I started having 1/2 speed issues about a four weeks ago.. and now only getting 38000/20000.. I have had a couple of emails from sky saying they have applied a new config and I should reboot my router.. but still nothing...

I had been getting random slow downs and long pauses when loading websites... even had it take 20+ seconds just to get to sky homepage, only response I get is that it is with the fibre team and they will contact me...a week goes by and no phone calls or anything, I ring up and explain again and the advisor says "yes they should be giving you an update, I will make sure they do" and on and on... yet they are still willing to take my 30 for fibre pro....

/end rant..

Thanks

Hi All
      Well the phrase " i spoke to soon " has happened.! After having rock solid download speeds of 35 since Wednesday morning {checked many times each day } as from this morning I find myself still getting rock solid speeds,..................... but now at only 31!!!!!! File download tests have also showed an approx 15% increase in time taken as well. Ping however has stayed at a consistant 15 so i suppose that is something to be happy about !
      Have reported back the NEW reduced speeds again to Sky as it seems to me that what ever was done regarding the Network Patch that seemed to have at long last fixed the "half speed" problem, has come undone ! {All be it not to the the full extent that it was.}
      Has any one {half speed or otherwise } noticed any changes to their throughput speeds today ???