Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Wireless laptop can't see other devices on network ??

This is a discussion on Wireless laptop can't see other devices on network ?? within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi all, Just setting up a new laptop with a wifi connection to my Sky router. The laptop can get ...

AdamBrunt is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Godalming (THGG)
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Wireless laptop can't see other devices on network ??

Hi all,

Just setting up a new laptop with a wifi connection to my Sky router.

The laptop can get onto the net fine but can't see any of the other devices on the network (desktop PC or NAS). The desktop PC, however can see the laptop.

The only way I can get the laptop seeing folders on the PC is by turning the 'homegroup' functionality on; and then laptop can see the documents folder on the PC. However, the NAS drive has a USB printer attached to it which I need the laptop to be able to print to when the PC is not on.

The only thing the laptop can see is the BT fibre modem. It claims to see the NAS drive but when I double click on thie icon, it just loads the web admin page for the NAS. The desktop sees the laptop, NAS and fibre modem.

My network layout is desktop, NAS wired into switch; switch wired into wifi router; router wired (via homeplug) into fibre modem. Could it be that the connection between the router and the switch only allows 1-way traffic ? Or does the Sky router not allow wireless devices to connect to the LAN ?

If it makes any difference, the switch connects to the port nearest the power cable on the router; the port nearest the ADSL socket on the router goes off to the homeplug (and the modem)

Anyone got any ideas ?

Regards,

Adam Brunt

2. Advertisement
      jdsimp1234 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SWBNP - Bridgend .South Wales
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Wireless laptop can't see other devices on network ??

Hi,

I had that problem before, i had to switch homegroups on on both desktop PC & laptop, and allow all folders... i could then see everything on laptop from desktop PC, but could NOT see the desktop PC from the laptop, nor could i see MY buffalo NAS ethernet 2TB drive from the laptop, but couls see it from desktop PC. So suddenly there was a windows update on the laptop, had to restart laptop, i noticed during the windows logo at startup, it was enableing something before windows starting...i waited until windows started up...went in to windows explorer...went into networks...and i COULD see the NAS drive & the desktop PC...apparently there is settings in homegroups to disallow passwords & allow access from either machines(thats only if you trust both your laptop & your PC).

To allow access to folders on desktop PC or laptop, you have to change the sharing settings of that perticular folder...after all this... i could not access C drive on desktop PC from the laptop, or access C drive on laptop from desktop PC. I think i repaired or replaced something, and then restarted both Desktop PC & laptop to allow access to both drives, vice versa, etc...after reboot of both PC & laptop, i could then access both C drives from either machine...

Dunno if this answers your question.. or has any relevence to it...

simon194 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: NDHAS
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub with Billion 8800NL in bridge mode
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

This was a problem with the original firmware on the fibre router. There is updated firmware that fixes the problem but I can't tell you what the version number of the latest firmware version number is because I don't use Sky's router at all anymore.

jdsimp1234 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SWBNP - Bridgend .South Wales
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

@simon194

I notice you have the fibre pro speeds in your speedtest, thought about changing you member settings inline with it?

tobiasdroberts is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Had the very same issue when I first got SFU and after much frustration I discovered that if I changed the Wifi channel setting on the Sky router from Auto to a dedicated channel number, I was then able to access other devices on my network. Can't remember if I had to reboot everything after making the change but it definitely fixed the issue for me

Albeit this was with the original firmware and I kept that setting (dedicated chanel number) when the firmware was upgraded to the latest.

HTH.

Kind regards,
      Toby