Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Like Tree2Likes

Connected today

This is a discussion on Connected today within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi All sorted now getting nearly 10mb up but still only getting low 30 down is there anything i can ...

mikebh50 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: dereham
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Connected today

Hi

All sorted now getting nearly 10mb up but still only getting low 30 down is there anything i can do or is that it.

What is the best speedtester just in case i am getting wrong readings

Thanks
      Mike

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Try the BT one-
      Test Result

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

jamirowho is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: willaston
      Thanks

Oh no, after the the problems i had getting fibre installed, and now i seem to be suffering from the same problem as Mike. Fibre was finally installed Thursday morning, but haven't had an awful lot of time to check speeds out.

After trying out a download on sky's anytime + system i thought it took longer than it should. Was about to blame the Buffalo ethernet bridge, when i did a speedtest and got these results:-
      http://speedtest.net/result/2207955476.png

That was from my laptop, so i tried my PC upstairs and that fared a little better:-

http://speedtest.net/result/2208049995.png

Looks like i'll have to contact customer service again!

Thanks

I would say its your wireless connection which is at fault. Sky will do little about that, except advise you to try another Channel. Connect your laptop by ethernet and disable the wireless and try a speedtest to check.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

jamirowho is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: willaston
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      I would say its your wireless connection which is at fault. Sky will do little about that, except advise you to try another Channel. Connect your laptop by ethernet and disable the wireless and try a speedtest to check.

Tried connecting via ethernet to both my wndr3700 and then directly to the 2504n (netgear is normally connected to the sagem via wan so that i can utilise both 2.4ghz & 5ghz, same as my old set up with updated settings). The speedtest results were as woeful as before with the same below 2mb upload speed and about 20mb download.

Thanks

Really confused now just done 2 speed tests one straight after the other speedtest.net only showing 22mb down and 6 up with a 55 ping then done the BT wholesale one which gave 37.22mb down & 6.38 up with a 33.25 ping. So not sure if i am getting good speeds or not

Mike

Thanks

speedtest.net only showing 22mb down and 6 up with a 55 ping then done the BT wholesale one which gave 37.22mb down & 6.38 up with a 33.25 ping
      You are not the only one! Many are getting a result like that. I personally think it may be something to do with the BT Test bypassing the Sky Servers, but many disagree. Some claim the BT test is giving intentionally inflated results, which I do not believe for one moment.

In your case the fact that you are getting a reasonable speed on your PC suggests the problem may lie in your laptop. Try starting it in Safe Mode with Networking and do a speedtest, see if there is any difference.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Skycarp is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Selby
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      You are not the only one! Many are getting a result like that. I personally think it may be something to do with the BT Test bypassing the Sky Servers, but many disagree. Some claim the BT test is giving intentionally inflated results, which I do not believe for one moment.

In your case the fact that you are getting a reasonable speed on your PC suggests the problem may lie in your laptop. Try starting it in Safe Mode with Networking and do a speedtest, see if there is any difference.
      I used to get very different ones as well. BT site would show 33/35 down whilst Speedtest.net would show 23/25 down.
      However since Wednesday when it looks like the Network patch that Sky applied "seems" to have fixed my "halfspeed" problem that I had from date of install in June, I now get basicly the same results from both sites.

Thanks

However since Wednesday when it looks like the Network patch that Sky applied "seems" to have fixed my "halfspeed" problem
      That seems to confirm my suspicion.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Thanks

Hi just done this test on speedtest .net.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/2212481760.png
      really strange how it varys.

Mike

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast