Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Like Tree2Likes

BT Infinity to Sky Fibre (Good News?)

This is a discussion on BT Infinity to Sky Fibre (Good News?) within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Sky have accepted my order to switch from BT Infinity to Sky Fibre with an install date at the end ...

aceman is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Hednesford
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity Unlimited soon to be Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

BT Infinity to Sky Fibre (Good News?)

Sky have accepted my order to switch from BT Infinity to Sky Fibre with an install date at the end of this month. The modem is apparently due to be delivered today and BT Openreach are all booked in.

Here's hoping that this finally means that there is now a process in place to migrate simply from one fible provider to another. Wish me luck!

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Re: BT Infinity to Sky Fibre (Good News?)

Don't get your hopes too high, Sky have been known to accept unfullfillable orders in the past. Have you completed your 18 months with BTI? When you say the modem will be delivered, I think you mean the router, the modem is supplied and fitted by BTO. They may even leave your existing one in place.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

simon194 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: NDHAS
      Router: Sky Q Hub with Billion 8800NL in bridge mode
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Don't get your hopes too high, Sky have been known to accept unfullfillable orders in the past. Have you completed your 18 months with BTI? When you say the modem will be delivered, I think you mean the router, the modem is supplied and fitted by BTO. They may even leave your existing one in place.
      Assuming it is fulfillable, I would guess Openreach would be aware that all the work will be exchange-side, switching the phone line from BT to Sky etc.

toekneem is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: EASBF
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by aceman View Post
      Sky have accepted my order to switch from BT Infinity to Sky Fibre with an install date at the end of this month. The modem is apparently due to be delivered today and BT Openreach are all booked in.

Here's hoping that this finally means that there is now a process in place to migrate simply from one fible provider to another. Wish me luck!

Keep us updated aceman. Will be looking to do the same about November/December. Anything to make the process easier always helps.
      toekneem

Thanks

Well the *Router has arrived and it is the fibre model. All comms suggest everyone is aware, even the BT retentions department has a record of the switchover from fibre to fibre. Install is 28th. BT did offer me a deal to stay, but I've been a Sky Broadband customer for years, was very happy with the service and only went to BT as they were the only option for fibre at the time (almost 2 years ago). Besides, I could do without the traffic shaping ;-)
      NewsreadeR likes this.

Johnelf is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Ewell
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity 2
      Router: BT Home Hub 4
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by aceman View Post
      Well the *Router has arrived and it is the fibre model. All comms suggest everyone is aware, even the BT retentions department has a record of the switchover from fibre to fibre. Install is 28th. BT did offer me a deal to stay, but I've been a Sky Broadband customer for years, was very happy with the service and only went to BT as they were the only option for fibre at the time (almost 2 years ago). Besides, I could do without the traffic shaping ;-)
      The only thing I would ask is how good is the BT router? The Sky sagem one is rubbish wireless and the new Sky white router probably not much better wirelessly. The Virgin super hub knocks them both.
      That is the most disappointing thing about sky fibre.
      john

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,224 Times in 2,093 Posts

With BT Infinity you are allowed to use your own router.

Sadly with Sky Fibre this isn't officially supported, however members have managed to do this successfully.
      andrewjr likes this.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

the new Sky white router probably not much better wirelessly.
      We have only heard positive things about the SR101 and wireless, what makes you think it is poor apart from the reduced 'allowed' speeds that it is capable of?
      ~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Johnelf View Post
      The only thing I would ask is how good is the BT router? The Sky sagem one is rubbish wireless and the new Sky white router probably not much better wirelessly. The Virgin super hub knocks them both.
      That is the most disappointing thing about sky fibre.
      john
      I'm not worried TBH. I only use wireless for phone and ipad. The rest of the house is on a CAT6 network.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,224 Times in 2,093 Posts

Whilst the Sky routers are all 10/100mb, if you have 1Gbit switches installed elsewhere in your home & they are all connected to one another (avoiding the router), there should be no problem.

This is essentially how my current network is setup and it works well with the Sky Hub.

As for the comment by Johnelf regarding the WiFi abilities of the Sky Hub, as someone who is taking part in the beta trials with the Sky Hub, I am in a position to confirm that others have compared the WiFi abilities of the Sagem 2504N and the Sky Hub. The Sky Hub came out a little better. Sure it isn't 300mbps, but then the BT HomeHub v2 and v3 are also only limited to 144mbps. I would have loved the Sky Hub to be a 1Gbit LAN and 300mbps WiFi, but sadly this isn't currently the case. I would also love Sky to have released a router which can support the 5GHz channels, but sadly this isn't the case either.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast