Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Like Tree2Likes

BT Infinity to Sky Fibre (Good News?)

This is a discussion on BT Infinity to Sky Fibre (Good News?) within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Originally Posted by Scubbie Whilst the Sky routers are all 10/100mb, if you have 1Gbit switches installed elsewhere in your ...

aceman is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Hednesford
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity Unlimited soon to be Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: BT Infinity to Sky Fibre (Good News?)

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      Whilst the Sky routers are all 10/100mb, if you have 1Gbit switches installed elsewhere in your home & they are all connected to one another (avoiding the router), there should be no problem.

This is essentially how my current network is setup and it works well with the Sky Hub.
      Yes, that's exactly how it is setup. Works fine on previous Sky routers (Netgears and others) the model and capabilities of the fibre provider's router make very little difference to me.

2. Advertisement
      Thanks

A rather negative update I'm afraid

BT Infinity was disconnected last Friday lunchtime. BT engineer then failed to turn up for afternoon appointment.

Called Sky. They said job had been cancelled at their end and would investigate. Still no resolution this morning. They are talking about a 2 week wait for an appointment :-O

All emails from them clearly showed acceptance of order and conversations on phone confirmed there would be no problem so this seems like a very straightforward breach of contract.

Anyone had anything similar and can reccomend next course of action. I've a house full of teenagers with no internet access except for my 3G Ipad.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Firstly I would speak to someone within Sky and ask if they can supply you with some 3G dongles (note plural!) and refund and top-up fees spent on them whilst you are waiting for Sky to get your Fibre connection up and running.

Whilst it is normal for the next available appointments to be weeks after a messed up date, I think that this is unacceptable as well. speak with Sky's customer services (remember to be nice as it was BTO who messed up and failed to keep the appointment) and ask them to insist that someone from BTO comes out either today or tomorrow.

Next I would speak with Ofcom. You could ask for a print out of the full order details shown on the Sky systems under the Data Protection Act (it would cost you 10) if you wanted to confirm that it was BTO who messed up. This being the case, then I think that Ofcom should know about it and that they should penalise BTO for failing in their part to install the Fibre connection.

Let us know how you get on. Do keep a diary of events. Specifically list the names of anyone whom you speak with, listing the dates and times and a summary of the call.

If things don't go well, we can supply contact details of the executive team. However they are likely to just pass it to the senior people in the fibre team to deal with.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

aceman (01-10-12)

Thanks

It was Sky who cancelled the order to BTO according to the Fibre helpdesk and it seems like their systems havent triggered a call or email to myself.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

In this case I would insist upon speaking to someone very senior over this issue.

jeremy dot darroch at bskyb dot com

I would also still be inclined to ask about what you should do in the mean time about your Internet access.

Do also keep a record of any phone calls as well. You should be entitled to recompense and some form of compensation.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12