Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Experienced Members Needed!

This is a discussion on Experienced Members Needed! within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; So i got sky fibre pro around 1 week ago and the speeds are amazing and the ping is immense ...

AshyNET is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Experienced Members Needed!

So i got sky fibre pro around 1 week ago and the speeds are amazing and the ping is immense i would just like some clarification.

I have a ping of 10ms to bbc.co.uk via CMD but on speedtest.net i get high pings like 50-70ms yet i see people on these forums with lower could it be my laptop?

Also in my sky router im synced at 79999kbps + 20000kbps. and i get this via speedtest.net

Maidenhead

London - Vodafone uk

London - Other

I would of thought i could get near maximum upload speed at least above 15mb? could anyone shed any light on this or am i completely wrong?:S

thanks

2. Advertisement
      nijohc is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Fibre
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ box
      Thanks

Re: Experienced Members Needed!

I'd ignore the ping times on the speedtest, they're not exactly accurate, I've had results all over the place at times, as high as 90ms and as low as 6ms, even though my ping to bbc.co.uk is constant 15ms through the command prompt, varying only a ms or 2 at times. Just go with what ping via CMD tells you.

As for the speeds they look great, sure your upload is capable of more but then you shouldn't be getting 83.79 down either, it's impossible with the speed you're synced at. Maybe try temporarily disabling any virus scanner software you have and re-test.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non-Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,242 Times in 2,105 Posts

The speed test results are really for guidance purposes. There are a variety of UK servers to choose from and each will produce a different result depending on who is using it when you too are using it.

If it is really important for you, I would suggest that you try the different servers 3 times each before trying the next one.

Repeat the tests at different times of the day and on different days. This will build a better picture.

Since you have only had your connection for about a week, there is still the so-called training period to settle down, so don't worry too much.

In the mean time those results show that you have a very good connection speed on both the downstream and upstream sides.

PlusNet Fibre since Jan 2021
      Previously Sky Fibre & Sky BB since 2010.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

I would say all of those download speeds are too high and the upload a bit low. Try using the BT Infinity tester, I think it should work with Sky Fibre as well. Test your BT Infinity speed | Help | BT.com Help

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

rederick is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Use an Ethernet connection and turn off WiFi, and uninstall any antivirus software/security suite. (or use a spare PC with no AV/security software loaded).
      BT Infinity 2 FTTC (19/09/2012) - Sync: 52 Mbps / 9 Mbps - (Would consider Sky if static IP available).

skyiron34 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Llanishien
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+ box
      Thanks

What I'd like to know from experienced users is how to remove any interleave that the DLM put on the line. Or is there a way to reset the DLM in hope that it will choose to setup my line without interleave? I don't mind compensating with speed either if that is also somehow possible. Thanks guys. (admins - should I have made a new thread?, (title just seemed perfect))

andrewjr is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: NDSIT
      Broadband ISP: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2
      Router: Ubiquiti Unifi
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

@ AshyNET

Try using JD's Auto Speed Tester - Home and leave it running for a few days but make sure that you configure it.

@ skyiron34

AFAIK i dont think that Sky has the ability to set either fastpath or interleaving. I believe DLM will set this and put you on interleaving if it deems it necessary. Have you hacked your modem (Huawei 612) to check if there are any errors on your line
      AirPort Extreme + Sky Fibre Guide | Mac OSX Automator for xDSL stats for HG612 & Vigor 130

Hauwei Cab > VMG1312-B10A > Ubiquiti UniFi | 58301/12298