Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Poor download and terrible upload with Sky Fibre

This is a discussion on Poor download and terrible upload with Sky Fibre within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hello. Just had Sky Fibre Unlimited installed in our student house yesterday. Despite being estimated around 36mbit down and 8mbit ...

thestrangestick is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Canterbury
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Poor download and terrible upload with Sky Fibre

Hello. Just had Sky Fibre Unlimited installed in our student house yesterday. Despite being estimated around 36mbit down and 8mbit up, we are getting anything from 14-20mbit down and a consistent (and frankly, for fibre, terrible) 0.8 mbit upload. The ping is also pretty poor at 30-35ms when I was expecting something more in the range of 5-20ms.

Furthermore, unlike a lot of people with speed issues, there is no discrepancy between the sync speed and the actual speed.

Router stats:
      ModemModem StatusDownStream Connection SpeedUpStream Connection Speed
      Connected
      22184 kbps
      1068 kbps

Looking at these stats, it seems to me almost as if Sky have accidentally set our connection's profile as ADSL - how on earth are we getting 0.8mbit upload sync speed with fibre?

Should I call Sky or will they just fob me off until 10 days have passed? I'm not hopeful for much to change as these are sync speeds as you can see.

When running a test on speedtest.net, the upload will sometimes 'jump' up to around 2mbit before leaping back down to under 1mbit - seemingly evidence of the speed being manually capped perhaps. Either way, I am not paying for a fibre service that advised speeds of around 36 down and 8 up which is giving me 20 down and 1 up - you can get the same speeds on ADSL at a lot of exchanges.

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Re: Poor download and terrible upload with Sky Fibre

If the speed is well below the estimate, you will be able to cancel without penalty.

Although you may be fobbed off with the 'wait 10 days' answer, it is worth giving Sky a call. It will cost you nothing except time.

The settings on Fibre are done by BTO, Sky can do nothing except report the problem to them. It is very very unlikely you are on an ADSL Profile, I don't think it is possible. You can get that speed on ADSL2+ but you must be close to the exchange.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

rhyshardy2010 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kensal Green
      Router: SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Looks to me like perhaps somebody has connected the Sky router to the master socket and not the BT openreach modem.

Is the openreach modem connected to the master socket, or is the sky router

Spitfire is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Sky cannot do anything about your ping.

Your line is monitored via DLM and if your line can support fast path it will switch it on.

looks like your line won't support fast path so interleaving has been switched on

- - - Updated - - -

The grey lead should go from your master socket( OpenReach should have installed a new faceplate) to the openreach modem.

A ethernet lead should go from the LAN 1 port on the openreach modem to the sky fibre router

Another ethernet lead then goes from your sky fibre router into your pc

Is this how you have it wired?

The new faceplate openreach should have installed looks like This http://cdn.cupofcoffee.co.uk/wp-cont...face-plate.jpg

Notice the grey lead at the top - that goes into the openreach modem