Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Like Tree3Likes

Sky are unable to supply - but DIDN'T TELL ME

This is a discussion on Sky are unable to supply - but DIDN'T TELL ME within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Sky took my order on 16th August for Unlimited Fibre Pro service and the Sky Talk phone line. They sent ...

rederick is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Sky are unable to supply - but DIDN'T TELL ME

Sky took my order on 16th August for Unlimited Fibre Pro service and the Sky Talk phone line. They sent me paperwork and text messages saying it would all occur today 4th September. Today I've had no Openreach engineer and when I ring up to check the Sky agent goes away to check and finds out that Openreach had cancelled the order saying "no cabinet capacity" within a few hours of my order being placed.

The ordering system had failed to update from this information and had not been able to notify me, as the customer - and the order had progressed through the ordering system although Openreach hadn't accepted the order. Sky can't cancel on their ordering system today, but will cancel as soon as possible, and will let me know tomorrow.

I just spoke to BT regarding my voice line and they've confirmed no order has been placed to move, as the order was rejected from Sky it hasn't affected my voice line.

And today I get an advertisement in the post offering BT Infinity is now available in my road.

I think I might call BT and place an order for Infinity now - saves messing around with the router hassles.
      BT Infinity 2 FTTC (19/09/2012) - Sync: 52 Mbps / 9 Mbps - (Would consider Sky if static IP available).

2. Advertisement
      Fryingpan77 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Shipley
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Fibre
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks

Re: Sky are unable to supply - but DIDN'T TELL ME

It's unfortunate, but this has happened quite a bit recently.
      It's still early days for sky fibre broadband, and I'm sure in time this will become less frequent.
      This doesn't help you in the meantime however.
      I'm not going to knock BT or any other providers.
      You have to do what's best for your circumstances.
      Fibre broadband from any provider is a service worth having, and I'm sure you will be happy, where ever you decide.

Sent from my ST18i
      With sky since 1997.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Yes, agreed it has to be a systems problem. What grates is I ordered 2.5 weeks ago, and it took me complaining today that they went and found out it wasn't going to happen. Openreach told them about 2 hours after I put the order in.

I've ordered BT Infinity - my existing ISP will disconnect on the 16th Sept, and BT will install on the 19th. That's annoying but about all I can do.
      BT Infinity 2 FTTC (19/09/2012) - Sync: 52 Mbps / 9 Mbps - (Would consider Sky if static IP available).

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

I've ordered BT Infinity - my existing ISP will disconnect on the 16th Sept, and BT will install on the 19th. That's annoying but about all I can do.
      So the cabinet is full for Sky, but has space for Infinity. Something stinks there!!
      Angel_Rex and Scubbie like this.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      So the cabinet is full for Sky, but has space for Infinity. Something stinks there!!
      I did say to the Sky agent on the phone - that's surprising, I suspect Ofcom would love to know about that, and the competition commission.

I suspect its an assumed response from whatever Openreach system they use. They should have resubmitted the order - but instead Sky failed to even contact me.

I have a "while you were out" card from ParcelForce, which I assume will be my Sky router. Wonder if they will want that back !?
      Scubbie likes this.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

I suspect that someone may have cancelled their Fibre connection or BTO has since installed extra capacity, or at least that is what they will come up with.

Ultimately this is a systems failure and you should have been notified sooner. Sky must get this resolved ASAP as more cabinets are becoming full.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Exchange:
      Thanks

I agree its a systems failure. I would be very surprised if it was full otherwise 288 people ordered FTTC in my area on the same day - as the cabinet was installed physically in June and I checked the BT checker daily until it was active and ordered that day. Its a popular VM area (almost all WiFi around me is virginmedia_xxxxx) and ADSL speeds similar to yours or higher. This was the only missing cab in the area for over 12 months.

My main complaint to sky is the loss of time that they should have notified me - as I'll now be without connectivity for a few days :-(

simon194 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: NDHAS
      Router: Sky Q Hub with Billion 8800NL in bridge mode
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rederick View Post
      I agree its a systems failure. I would be very surprised if it was full otherwise 288 people ordered FTTC in my area on the same day - as the cabinet was installed physically in June and I checked the BT checker daily until it was active and ordered that day. Its a popular VM area (almost all WiFi around me is virginmedia_xxxxx) and ADSL speeds similar to yours or higher. This was the only missing cab in the area for over 12 months.
      Maybe BT have "allocated" connections based on those that registered interest and giving them priority even if they haven't ordered yet and added a few more to cater for any that didn't register. It would be one explanation why there was no capacity for Sky.

Also depending on the whether it's a Huawei or ECI street cab it will have either 96 or 192 connections on the Huawei and 128 or 256 on the ECI. The large Huawei cabinets can handle 288 connections but are only configured for 192 because only 2 DSLAM's are installed initially. It's not so much of an issue with the ECI cabinets because a single DSLAM can handle 256 ports.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by simon194 View Post
      Maybe BT have "allocated" connections based on those that registered interest and giving them priority even if they haven't ordered yet and added a few more to cater for any that didn't register. It would be one explanation why there was no capacity for Sky.
      The other sensible suggestion I saw (over at tbb) was that Sky have run out of ports for their connection back at the exchange. Either way they knew 2 hours after I ordered but didn't tell me for 2 weeks. That's very poor customer service and why I've arranged to "cancel" the nothing they've done.

Also depending on the whether it's a Huawei or ECI street cab it will have either 96 or 192 connections on the Huawei and 128 or 256 on the ECI. The large Huawei cabinets can handle 288 connections but are only configured for 192 because only 2 DSLAM's are installed initially. It's not so much of an issue with the ECI cabinets because a single DSLAM can handle 256 ports.
      We're a Huawei area and its the huge "288"cabinet, I'd guess 192 then. Other roads have the smaller 96 cabinets near by, but the PCP serves quite a large area with 2 story blocks of flats.

jamirowho is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: willaston
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Well I've sat in all afternoon with my 2 year old waiting for the engineer to install my fibre modem, only for me to ring at 5.20 (should be between 1-6 pm) to see where the engineer was only to be told there was an issue with my order!
      The order had been placed with customer service but hadn't transferred to "technical" so no engineer! I even had a text yesterday telling me to be in between 1 & 6! My order now has to be cancelled and reissued which means another 2-3 week wait if not more, fuming is not the word!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast