Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Like Tree3Likes

Sky are unable to supply - but DIDN'T TELL ME

This is a discussion on Sky are unable to supply - but DIDN'T TELL ME within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Can I suggest that you both write a firm, but polite, email to the executive team? Neither of these incidents ...

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,223 Times in 2,092 Posts

Re: Sky are unable to supply - but DIDN'T TELL ME

Can I suggest that you both write a firm, but polite, email to the executive team? Neither of these incidents are acceptable and it shows that despite Sky's systems supposedly being tested earlier this year, there appears to still be some issues with them though.

email: jeremy dot darroch at bskyb dot com

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

2. Advertisement
      jamirowho is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: willaston
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      Can I suggest that you both write a firm, but polite, email to the executive team? Neither of these incidents are acceptable and it shows that despite Sky's systems supposedly being tested earlier this year, there appears to still be some issues with them though.

Consider it done, i'm in the mood for a good email......

dragon2611 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: AAISP + Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: N/A
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rederick View Post
      The other sensible suggestion I saw (over at tbb) was that Sky have run out of ports for their connection back at the exchange. Either way they knew 2 hours after I ordered but didn't tell me for 2 weeks. That's very poor customer service and why I've arranged to "cancel" the nothing they've done.

We're a Huawei area and its the huge "288"cabinet, I'd guess 192 then. Other roads have the smaller 96 cabinets near by, but the PCP serves quite a large area with 2 story blocks of flats.
      It wouldn't surprise me if it ended up being a fall through error condition in Skys system, I.e when it receives a response from Openreach it can't handle it just runs the processes for "cab full" to avoid a stuck order.

I'd be surprised if sky ran out of "Ports" at the exchange unless they were running low on actual back-haul capacity the handover presumably be either Gigabit (Possibly a LAGG of multiple 1Gbit/s ccts) or a 10 GIG feed.

rederick is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post

Good idea - thanks.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by dragon2611 View Post
      It wouldn't surprise me if it ended up being a fall through error condition in Skys system, I.e when it receives a response from Openreach it can't handle it just runs the processes for "cab full" to avoid a stuck order. I'd be surprised if sky ran out of "Ports" at the exchange unless they were running low on actual back-haul capacity the handover presumably be either Gigabit (Possibly a LAGG of multiple 1Gbit/s ccts) or a 10 GIG feed.
      Yes, having seen quite a lot of IT systems I would expect its fallen through the "select case" statement :-/
      BT Infinity 2 FTTC (19/09/2012) - Sync: 52 Mbps / 9 Mbps - (Would consider Sky if static IP available).

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

There are still some exchanges which have not been fully updated to make use of a fibre connection. I don't think the old Easynet legacy equipment can handle it. That is another possible reason for the failure.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      There are still some exchanges which have not been fully updated to make use of a fibre connection. I don't think the old Easynet legacy equipment can handle it. That is another possible reason for the failure.
      Not the case in my area - other people I know in the town on Sky Fibre wired to the same exchange. My cabinet was so late I'd checked into everything I could in advance.
      BT Infinity 2 FTTC (19/09/2012) - Sync: 52 Mbps / 9 Mbps - (Would consider Sky if static IP available).

dragon2611 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: AAISP + Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Sky TV: N/A
      Thanks

If that were the case sky shouldn't have been able to place the order in the first place.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dragon2611 View Post
      If that were the case sky shouldn't have been able to place the order in the first place.
      That is correct.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

That is correct.
      The executive office replied and apologised (nice) and said there was no Openreach capacity. Which doesn't explain how I was able to order BT Infinity.

I still reckon I ordered too fast, and perhaps might migrate to Sky in 18 months. Depends if Ofcom have sorted out the GEA migrations by then!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12