Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Fibre Unlimited Pro = 0.50mbps Download? Help

This is a discussion on Fibre Unlimited Pro = 0.50mbps Download? Help within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi all, please brace yourselves as this is quite a story and any information would be greatly appreciated to help ...

Snak3zZ is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: NDCAS
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: None
      Thanks

Fibre Unlimited Pro = 0.50mbps Download? Help

Hi all, please brace yourselves as this is quite a story and any information would be greatly appreciated to help aid my next steps.

At the beginning of the summer holidays I found that I could get Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro and was estimated at 69.6mbps Download and 20mbps Upload. An Openreach engineer arrived on the 16th August to set me up and I was away. Immediately I realised that I only had 40mbps which when I rung Sky they said was due to the DLM, so I decided to be patient and wait 10 days. I then experienced drop outs and issues with my phone. After calling Sky they arranged for an Openreach engineer to come out again to look at the issues, he moved my faceplate to a more convenient place over the other side of the room and changed my Openreach Modem as he said it was the wrong one for the area. Great, superb, now I was up and running but now my connection was jumping from 0mbps to 40mbps which was still not near what I was estimated. In the maintenance page of the router however it said I was connecting at 79992kbps Download and 20000 Upload, which I thought was strange as I was not getting these speeds.

Today (2nd September) I have realised that the speed issue was due to me having a Netgear 4 Port Powerline adapter (XAV1004) that is 100mbps so this would be 50mbps Upload and 50mbps Download. I tested an Ethernet cable directly to the router with laptop (WiFi was off) and "hey presto!" I got 70mbps Down and 12mbps Up (Still not 20mbps Upload but I was very happy).

Later that day I was streaming a football game and it started jumping near half time. I immediately closed it and run a speed test and was getting 0.00mbps and an average of 0.50mbps Download and even less Upload. I immediately tested this on a direct Ethernet connection and had the same thing.

I called Sky at around 5pm and the guy I got was not listening to me, he was getting me to go through lots of things on my laptop which is very new and which I have recently re-imaged (I work in I.T. and I was very patient but whilst the problem was there I didn't want to waste time going through things I knew it wasn't). I understood he had to go through set instructions but I needed him to test my line and just tell me if there was a fault somewhere as you would probably agree 0.50mbps on a Fibre line is unacceptable. He told me I had a faulty router and I couldn't decide if this was correct so agreed for him to send a new one. I am writing to you now at 9:45pm and the problem still exists of me running on 0.00mbps to 1mbps Upload.

My question is this, do you think this is a router issue?

On another note, I have ordered a TP-Link TL-WR1043ND Router that is DD WRT Compatible (TP-Link TL-WR1043ND Ultimate Wireless N Gigabit Router: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories) as others have done on these forums and also a new Netgear 4 Port Powerline 500mbps (Netgear XAVB5004 Powerline 4-Port AV 500 Kit for Home Theater: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories to help out for future issues. Do you think this was a good idea and would solve my slow speeds with my current Powerline adapter?

Any information would be great! Also sorry if this was a long story but I just really would appreciate feedback.
      Last edited by Snak3zZ; 02-09-12 at 09:59 PM.

2. Advertisement
      Thanks

Re: Fibre Unlimited Pro = 0.50mbps Download?

I can't seem to change the subject of this post. I would like to change it to "Fibre Unlimited Pro = 0.50mbps Download? Help!"

dragon2611 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: AAISP + Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: N/A
      Thanks

I guess you've already rebooted the sky router?

simon194 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: NDHAS
      Router: Sky Q Hub with Billion 8800NL in bridge mode
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Snak3zZ View Post
      I can't seem to change the subject of this post. I would like to change it to "Fibre Unlimited Pro = 0.50mbps Download? Help!"
      According to the Sky help forums there are congestion issues at peak times with their backhaul from the Hastings exchange because I was having the same problem with my connection earlier on.

I think my line needs an exorcist :
      Fibre Unlimited Pro = 0.50mbps Download? Help-speedtest.jpg

Apparently work to upgrade the backhaul is due to start on 10th September which should resolve the problems.

andrewjr is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: NDSIT
      Broadband ISP: NOWTV Super Fibre
      Router: Ubiquiti Unifi
      Thanks

3 weeks and nothing but problems

To clarify - are you using a power line adapter between the modem and the sky router? If so this is not an ideal setup. The connection between them must be direct for optimal use.
      AirPort Extreme + Sky Fibre Guide | Mac OSX Automator for xDSL stats for HG612 & Vigor 130

Hauwei Cab > VMG1312-B10A > RT-86U Merlin | 58301/12298

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by simon194 View Post
      According to the Sky help forums there are congestion issues at peak times with their backhaul from the Hastings exchange because I was having the same problem with my connection earlier on.

I think my line needs an exorcist :
      Click image for larger version. 

Name:	speedtest.jpg 
Views:	219 
Size:	12.7 KB 
ID:	3660

Apparently work to upgrade the backhaul is due to start on 10th September which should resolve the problems.
      Aha, that seems to be the issue then, so it is not my router. Do you have a link to where you found this information? I would love to give Sky a ring this evening if I could find some way of proving it to them. My connection is fine again now, I am guessing it will keep happening for now.

EDIT: Found the post. Thanks Simon194!
      Last edited by Snak3zZ; 03-09-12 at 06:28 AM.

Thanks

Re: 3 weeks and nothing but problems

Quote Originally Posted by andrewjr View Post
      To clarify - are you using a power line adapter between the modem and the sky router? If so this is not an ideal setup. The connection between them must be direct for optimal use.
      I am using a powerline from the Sky router to my Office downstairs and not from the modem, I have tried with and without and had the same issues. Do you think my purchase of a 500mbps Powerline with a DD WRT Compatible TP Link Router will solve the issues with speed over the powerline from Router to my Office? I am currently getting an unstable flow to my Desktop in there of around 10mbps to 25mbps Download. It seems the issue with speed being unstable may be to do with an exchange issue.

andrewjr is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: NDSIT
      Broadband ISP: NOWTV Super Fibre
      Router: Ubiquiti Unifi
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Snak3zZ View Post
      I am using a powerline from the Sky router to my Office downstairs and not from the modem, I have tried with and without and had the same issues. Do you think my purchase of a 500mbps Powerline with a DD WRT Compatible TP Link Router will solve the issues with speed over the powerline from Router to my Office? I am currently getting an unstable flow to my Desktop in there of around 10mbps to 25mbps Download. It seems the issue with speed being unstable may be to do with an exchange issue.
      Personally I dont use or need powerline adapters so can't be muc help I'm afraid. Have a read of this thread - http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/sky-b...sky-fibre.html - this will give you some good info on adapters that current fibre customers are using
      AirPort Extreme + Sky Fibre Guide | Mac OSX Automator for xDSL stats for HG612 & Vigor 130

Hauwei Cab > VMG1312-B10A > RT-86U Merlin | 58301/12298

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by andrewjr View Post
      Personally I dont use or need powerline adapters so can't be muc help I'm afraid. Have a read of this thread - http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/sky-b...sky-fibre.html - this will give you some good info on adapters that current fibre customers are using
      Appreciate the feedback. If anyone else does use this successfully please let me know.

Thanks

Tonight seems to be absolutely fine as when cabled into the router directly I get this:

When through the HomePlug/Powerline I get this:

Crossed fingers the new HomePlug/Powerline and Router will fix this!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast