Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Like Tree10Likes

Just ordered Sky Fibre, well, I tried!

This is a discussion on Just ordered Sky Fibre, well, I tried! within the Sky Broadband (Fibre) Help forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Logged into "My Sky" today and noticed that I could upgrade to 40 MB Sky Fibre with no activation or ...

stereohaven is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Brookwood
      Broadband ISP: Plusnet Fibre
      Router: Asus RT-AC56U
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD 2TB Box
      Thanks

Just ordered Sky Fibre, well, I tried!

Logged into "My Sky" today and noticed that I could upgrade to 40 MB Sky Fibre with no activation or install fee. Had some good news today so I thought "sod it" and placed the order.

Estimated speed is the full 40 MB (we shall see...), install date was scheduled for the 13th September. Had to pay 2.18 for hardware postage but that's not a biggy. So order placed and I get an email saying "please contact us or we will cancel your order". Gave the guy a call and it appears there is an error somewhere on the system preventing it from going through. He tried twice manually to place the order but it failed so he has passed it onto another department to fix and then he can call me back and finish the order, I guess with a revised install date depending on how long it takes.

I was feeling cheeky so I asked if I would get a new Sky Hub but he said it was unlikely and he believed there was a further charge for them. Guess we will have to wait and see what turns up.

So there we go, I have ordered Sky Fibre, except I haven't yet...

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Re: Just ordered Sky Fibre, well, I tried!

Are you one of those who have ported a number over from Cable, no matter how long ago? Quite a few have been caught out with this.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Are you one of those who have ported a number over from Cable, no matter how long ago? Quite a few have been caught out with this.
      Yes I did, although I was with Sky (same number) for many years before that.

Basically I went from Sky to Virgin for about 6 months, realised the error of my ways and returned to Sky in March. How does that affect the order process?

Thanks

I am not sure it does if it was not a Virgin number originally. What has happened in the past is that members who had a Virgin number were told that it was not compatible for moving to Fibre, even although it had been used on Sky with ADSL for a long time. There were supposed to be moves afoot to get this fixed, I don't know if it has been done yet.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Gotcha.

He hasn't called me back yet so I'm still none the wiser as to what this mysterious error may be, but I will update the thread when I get some more info.

JeDuK is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Wellingborough
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

had the same on sunday night placed an order had email saying there was a problem please call.
      So i call monday morning, the guy at sky said there was a problem with online orders, and they were trying to put the orders though manually, he said if i dont hear by wednesday to ring back.#
      See what tomorrow brings

8. The Following User Says Thank You to JeDuK For This Useful Post:

stereohaven (29-08-12)

Thanks

Well, I called them this morning and got through to the Sky Fibre team. It appears that the guy I originally spoke to had tried to place the order 3 or 4 times without success and the guy from the Fibre team said it was because in "My Sky" it had told me I could have free activation and installation, but the system didn't recognise that deal.

Funnily enough I logged into "My Sky" this morning and it now says I need to pay a 50 installation fee. Just as well I took a screenshot...

Just ordered Sky Fibre, well, I tried!-sky-fibre-order-free.png

So he put it through by overiding the charge and installation is booked for the 13th September. Estimated line speed is between 40 MB and 40 MB apparently...

Paid my 2.18 for hardware postage and asked if I would get a Sky Hub to which he said "No" as they are still on trial. That suits me to be honest as I know I can get the password etc. from the Sagem ones and use my own router.

I'll update this thread again once I have more news or the install has taken place.
      Fryingpan77 and rederick like this.

grotius is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: D-Link Dir615, DD-WRT
      Thanks

Well, I tried to upgrade my Sky broadband package to Fibre today, and was told (both by the web site and a support guy on the phone) that I must add Sky line rental. So this means 20pm for Fibre, plus 12.25pm for line rental. It just happens that I like my BT line rental (even though I also have Sky Talk Anytime). So I guess I'll be cancelling all that, and will be moving to BT Infinity ...
      Last edited by grotius; 31-08-12 at 02:48 PM. Reason: got the amount wrong
      Grotius the Great - alias Fearless Fang.

Thanks

Taking Sky phone rental has been a condition of getting Sky broadband for some time now. This applies if you are an existing user and you want to upgrade your package and to all new sign ups.

TomD

Useful Utilites

grotius is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: D-Link Dir615, DD-WRT
      Thanks

Ok, thx. It was news to me. In a way, it's a blessing in disguise, as it is making me evaluate how much I am paying to Sky and to investigate whether I can get a better deal elsewhere. BT Infinity + BT line rental is not much higher (max 3.10pm extra) and offers far higher speeds ("up to" 76mb/19mb download/upload). However, at the moment, Sky Talk Anytime seems unbeatable, and it may be what eventually makes me swallow the line rental pill with Sky Fibre ...
      Grotius the Great - alias Fearless Fang.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast